Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 10:21 AM

8,960 posts, read 20,385,036 times

Advertisements

I noticed two Threads (one is mine) in the Renting Forum talking about "tenants respecting other tenants". What I was wondering about is how many people who buy houses end up with problems with neighbors......dogs barking, party's, lawn maintenance, whatever.
Here is our story:
Lived in a apartment in Colorado/Denver metro. Lived on 2nd floor, above a garage, in a 3 story building. Had loud neighbors above us and across from us. Complained, but........
Moved into a nice 2 story house in a nice area. Bank to over the house next to ours. Some people were hired to fix up the house and one morning we found an extension cord going from the "Bank Owned" house to our outlet on our front porch. We unplugged the cord and walked over and told the people it was against the Law to use someone else's electricity.......didn't happen again. The people that bought this house had two dogs. One was definitely a "Watch" type dog and the other was pretty friendly. The dogs barked at "wee hours" of the night, waking wife and I up. We talked (nicely) to the husband and he told us that his wife was suppose to put the dogs into the garage at night while he was at work. Wasn't happening! Finally, she put the dogs into the garage for a few weeks, then got tired of it. The one dog was a real "chewer" and chewed a hole in their backyard gate and both dogs got out. I helped chase the dogs down a couple of times and get them back into their yard. The husband set a big can in front of the hole, but the one dog pushed that out of the way and out they got again. Husband fixed the hole, but one evening the "chewer" chewed another hole in the gate and both dogs got out! My wife had went into our backyard and our back neighbor told her "your dogs just got out". "What dogs, we don't have dogs" she told them. We went and looked and the one dog had chewed a hole in our backyard gate and both dogs got into our backyard! Well, just before putting our house up for sale, our neighbor came over and fixed the hole in our gate. Unfortunately, his "dog problems" weren't over yet......his one dog chewed another hole in the fence on the other side of their house and got out. The "chewer" didn't come back home, but the other did. We ended up selling our house and getting out of there.
So, it just isn't "apartment dwellers" that have problems with neighbors!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2008, 10:36 AM

41,978 posts, read 75,239,807 times
Quote:
one morning we found an extension cord going from the "Bank Owned" house to our outlet on our front porch.
I would have hacked that extension cord in two with a meat cleaver (one that was properly insulated, of course)! You were much more diplomatic than I would have been! LOL

Old 08-14-2008, 10:46 AM

3,989 posts, read 6,580,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I would have hacked that extension cord in two with a meat cleaver (one that was properly insulated, of course)! You were much more diplomatic than I would have been! LOL
LOL - nice!

Old 08-14-2008, 12:35 PM

1,266 posts, read 5,614,070 times
In my life I've lived in quite a number of places in the US and overseas and regardless of the type of housing you live in or the neighborhood, you will _always_ have idiot neighbors. All my stories would be way too long here.

Old 08-15-2008, 05:01 AM

38 posts, read 192,590 times
Patience my dear. agreed with Heather, where ever you go there will always be someone that will ruin your peaceful living.

Old 08-15-2008, 06:07 AM

5,987 posts, read 11,677,609 times
I'm an idiot neighbor.I owned an obnoxiously loud race car that I sometimes ran in my garage or driveway. When I bought it I went to all my neighbors and told them I would never start it before 9am or after 9pm. If I was every running it and it was interfering with some activity stop by or call and let me know and I would shut it off. Nothing I ever did with it was critical. It was a toy. In spite of my effort every time I started it someone called the police. They would come to the house. I would ask if I was in violation of any law or noise ordinance. They would say no. I would thank them. Most of them were interested in the car and I would show it to them and they would leave. On second thought maybe I'm not the idiot neighbor. Most problems can be discussed by reasonable people.

Old 08-15-2008, 06:37 AM

38 posts, read 192,590 times
hahaha that was funny,,,, atleast you know how to respect others. I guess you cannot find a peaceful place in lowered price now adays....

Old 08-15-2008, 11:33 AM

5,715 posts, read 15,049,604 times
Default Glass houses and stones...

Does anyone have neighbors who mow their lawns 2 or 3 times a week... (I'm NOT exaggerating) ??? To me mowing that often is extreme. (and annoying)

How about people who take it upon themselves to mow other people's lawns... ??? (to me that's trespassing)

Apparently, one of these people actually took it upon themselves to mow 3 acres for someone -weekly - because they wanted their neighbor's lawn mowed when they wanted it mowed instead of when a previous owner had been mowing.

Do you know how long it takes to mow 3 acres???

I was leaving the other day and watched that person drive their riding lawn mower down the street to mow a lot adjacent to mine... this property also belongs to someone else. I'm beginning to find it amusing in an annoying kind of way....except that these people seem to think they run the neighborhood based on longevity...

This same couple also let their dogs run free - chasing cars and killing wildlife on my property.... but that's o.k., too, because it's their dogs and that's the way they've always been. One day I was outside and a man in a truck stopped in the road and told me to get MY DOGS out of the street. Obviously, I told the man that it wasn't my dogs...

Oh yeah,... did I mention that one of their dogs has bitten at least 3 people since I've lived here, too??? There are actually delivery people who refuse to deliver to our neighborhood because of this particular dog.

Still, to them, everyone else is apparently the problem. In their view, they keep their lawn mowed (at about a #3 setting on the mower) and that makes them good neighbors.

I'm just about ready to point out the dead tree they have in their own yard and the junk in their driveway that they've got covered up with tarps and ask them when they're going to do something about their own issues instead of running around like kamakaze lawnmowing idiots....

Anyone got experience with pushy - and extremely annoying - neighbors like these???

Last edited by World Citizen; 08-15-2008 at 12:21 PM.. Reason: Thanks for allowing me to vent!

Old 08-15-2008, 12:35 PM

22,349 posts, read 29,457,534 times
LOL WC-Can you tell them to come and mow my yard???? Why not have them mow yours?? Beats doing it yourself..As far as the dogs, why not contact the owners and tell them its not ok to let their dogs run free, etc or call the police/animal control??

Old 08-15-2008, 02:12 PM

2,365 posts, read 4,874,740 times
It would take me more pages than this board has to list the problems we have with our neighbors. Suffice it to say that one of people who subdivided this development and built the houses still lives here and he and his bratty kids and grandkids STILL think they own the whole place. And if you try to talk to them, you get targeted for vandalism and other obscene activities. Rural area.........can you say ATVs and motorbikes running amok?????

House up for sale currently. New house is in an over 55 age restricted development with HOA rules and covenants that fill a 2" thick notebook. I can't wait!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House