Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 03:43 PM

320 posts, read 1,069,688 times

Advertisements

I apologize in advance if this is a repeat topic....but I did a search and didn't find it.

I am on an endless search for a "good" mattress. I've had the basic inner spring kind which is ok, but does wear out over time. I was seduced into a memory foam mattress after trying one for a few minutes at a Healthy Back store. It was great for about 6 months....and then I have hated it ever since. It's too hot, and the foam tends to compress slightly over time so that there is a bit of a slope...and of course the kicker: my back still hurts.

SO....I want to know how you solved your aching back sleep problems (if you have). I'm particularly curious about the sleep number bed -- especially an opinion about it after owning it for some time (years, not months): would you recommend it? would you buy it again?

Last edited by Sloaf; 09-01-2009 at 04:39 PM.. Reason: clarify opinions I am looking for
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2009, 04:39 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times
You could check out the shopping forum too, there are a couple of threads there discussing buying a new mattress, including the sleep number bed.

Old 09-01-2009, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
You could check out the shopping forum too, there are a couple of threads there discussing buying a new mattress, including the sleep number bed.

Thanks....wonder why I didn't find them in my search...oh well. I'll go check them out!

Old 09-01-2009, 04:50 PM

1,009 posts, read 4,037,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloaf View Post
I did a search and didn't find it.
Google . . advanced search

Whats The Best Mattress

Epinions

Amazon

Old 09-01-2009, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortoise View Post

Thanks Tortoise....I meant that I did a search here on CD....but these are good sites too look at too.....thanks!!

Last edited by Sloaf; 09-01-2009 at 05:01 PM.. Reason: spelling correction

Old 09-01-2009, 08:24 PM

3,020 posts, read 25,726,981 times
Default It is all in your head......

There is no such thing as the best mattress, they are all good. In the right frame of mind any bunk will do. I've had great snoozes sleeping on just a blanket on top of a torpedo.

Don't know what my present bunk is. Think a sheep ate that mattress tag, probably got him in jail now. It sezs you will go to prison if removed.

I also got one of them fold up beds with a super thin cotton mattress, shades of the olde fleet dazes. Can sleep like a log on tht puppy, sometimes have too when the right company comes and they get my big bunk.

In the right frame of mind you should be able to sleep anywhere. Three hots and a cot is the secret to happiness. Don't fuss so much and be fragile. It is all in your head.

Old 09-01-2009, 08:52 PM

3,020 posts, read 25,726,981 times
Default By the By

Many of the peeps in the World bunk out where ever they can. I've always loved this pix. My bro took in the shipyard in Singapore.

This dude is sacked out on the bottoming blocks in the drydock, happy as a clam. Probably woke up fully refreshed. All what your World view is.

Old 09-01-2009, 09:48 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
Have you tried sleeping on the floor, without a mattress? Use a little bit of padding underneath you at first, or it's hard on the hips. Once you get used to it, it's wonderful. And the price is right, and it never has to be replaced or turned. On nice nights, you can go out and just sleep in the yard, under the stars.

Old 09-01-2009, 10:53 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,515,251 times
My wife and I bought the top of the line Select Comfort air mattress. It has a material that does not absorb and radiate body heat. It stays relatively cool. If you get queen size or larger, each side of the bed has it's own pressure setting. What's good about it is as you gain or loose weight, you can adjust the pressure according to your needs and comfort. Was beginning to feel some pain in my side while sleeping. Increased the pressure slightly and the pain is gone. We found it was not any more expensive than top of the line inner spring mattresses.

Old 09-02-2009, 05:46 AM

3,440 posts, read 6,544,526 times
I agree that no one mattress is good for all. I have had several Beautyrest by Simmons and have been very satisfied. I tend to like a firm but not "hard" one. I agree with the poster about the memory foam.. I would not like the heat of sleeping on foam. Right now we are looking for a new mattress for our queensize bed and hopefully the Simmons will still be the same good quality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House