Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2009, 04:48 PM

47 posts, read 272,732 times

Advertisements

It seems that in the layout of my kitchen it makes sense to put the entry way in the only "corner" the kitchen has. Would this be a big problem? Does a kitchen need to have at least one corner that's all "kitchen"?

Also, what's the minimum number of wall cabinets that a kitchen should have?

Is it preferrable to have a big island that suitable for seating and great for buffets, or is it better to have a much smaller island and an open bar/countertop surface instead?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2009, 04:54 PM

563 posts, read 1,025,679 times
I think the door is more important than the counter lay-out. I have lived without the corner counter layout, even though I prefer having it. Sometimes we just have to make do with what we have. Do what works for you. Lots of opinions out there, but it's YOUR house. Have fun!

Old 09-13-2009, 07:01 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,653,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan08 View Post
It seems that in the layout of my kitchen it makes sense to put the entry way in the only "corner" the kitchen has. Would this be a big problem? Does a kitchen need to have at least one corner that's all "kitchen"?

Also, what's the minimum number of wall cabinets that a kitchen should have?

Is it preferrable to have a big island that suitable for seating and great for buffets, or is it better to have a much smaller island and an open bar/countertop surface instead?
What do you mean put an entry way in the corner? Where is it now? Do you have contractors there rebuilding things? There is no rule of thumb where to put the door entryway.

There is certianly no rule of thumb how many cabinets a kitchen should have. That is only limited by the size of your room. In the end it does need to be designed by a Certified Kitchen Designer (CKD).

For starters here are the rules:
The rule of designing a perfect working kitchen is using what they call a "kitchen triangle". What that means is the 3 points: the sink, the oven/stove and the fridge.......the chef should be able to move from one to the next to the next unimpeded without anything in the way.

Further rules are as follows:
No one side of the triangle should be more then 9' or less then 4'.
The triangle should not be interupted by traffic or cabinetry.
The perimeter of the triangle should never be more then 26' and never less then 12'

There is nothing written where an entryway goes. In most cases it is there when I am called to design the kitchen and I just work with it.

Islands and penninsulas are personal preference but are limited by your space available. All codes call for islands to be 42" from everything else so keep that in mind.

There is also no rule on island size but it is only limited by space and maintaining that kitchen triangle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House