Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2009, 08:35 PM

3,791 posts, read 8,901,949 times

Advertisements

We are almost set on a new Maytag washer/dryer set and will probably buy from our local Sears because they are the only one's who service what they sell that I know of. Would you purchase a service plan or is it a waste of money?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2009, 08:39 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,538,276 times
I would because today's washers and dryers aren't built to last. My Kenmore is starting to give me problems one year after the warranty ended.

Old 10-11-2009, 08:58 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,891,396 times
Waste of time!!!. The cost is over whatever repairs would cost. The machines are in warrenty for the first year. Usualyy, I said, usually, machines that are going to break will do it in the first year. if your buying a dependable name brand, the odds are you will get a quality, long lasting machine(s). Consumer Reports has said that the warrenty is just extra profit for the seller. Save the money and buy a nice dinner out in clean clothes!!!

Old 10-11-2009, 09:10 PM

1,212 posts, read 4,912,487 times
I would simply because it is Sears. Sears warranty really is a good buy.

I bought a portable dishwasher with extended warranty. It worked great for a couple of years, then it stopped getting the dishes clean. We call warranty and they fixed it no charge to me. It turns out, *I* left a cherry pit in a bowl and the pit got stuck in a crevice that contain the grinder that pulverizes the bits of food left on the plate so that it can be flushed out of the DW. The pit eventually wore away the unit.

now anyone else would have said it was my fault and not covered. Not Sears.

They will repair or replace while underwarranty

Old 10-11-2009, 09:32 PM

3,631 posts, read 7,674,144 times
I never do but that's just me. I hate prepaying for repairs I may never encounter.

Old 10-12-2009, 04:22 AM

1,492 posts, read 7,715,495 times
Not from Sears. I've purchased a washer and dryer, a refrigerator, range, microwave hood all over the past 3 months. Price comparisons from Sears, BestBuy, Lowes, and Home Depot all show that Sears and BestBuy are the most expensive- you must calculate ALL charges/fees including the warranty (which is 200+ at Sears versus 99 at Lowes), delivery and installation (if needed).

I've not ever used one, yet so I hope that the extra 49-99 per item for the warranty isn't throwing money out the window.

Old 10-12-2009, 06:13 AM

505 posts, read 1,665,038 times
I've been very happy with Sears so far. We had a GE washer that broke down just a little over two years and boy were we happy we got that plan! The particular model we had was discontinued and they replaced a brand new one within a week. The way I look at it, if it's a small repair, it's not much of a problem, but if it's a major, major repair and you almost have to buy a new one, then it's well worth the cost. We paid about $200 for the 3 year warranty and last we checked, the washer model they replaced was about $900. Not a bad deal if you ask me.

Old 10-12-2009, 06:19 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,054,464 times
Repairs can be very costly. I have a friend who had a new LG washer and dryer. She had nothing but problems with them for the first 3 years....she spent hundreds on repairs before replacing them.

We bought a new computer a few years ago - top of the line...had nothing but problems with it. We purchased an extended warranty and after many free repairsover a 3 year period, the store replaced the whole computer.

I'm a believer in extended warranties on big ticket items.

Old 10-12-2009, 06:33 AM

3,631 posts, read 14,555,928 times
I bought one for a sears dishwasher and have been very happy with it - used the warranty twice. BOth times the repair folks were excellent.

Old 10-12-2009, 06:39 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,684,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
We are almost set on a new Maytag washer/dryer set and will probably buy from our local Sears because they are the only one's who service what they sell that I know of. Would you purchase a service plan or is it a waste of money?
No, I wouldn't.

Factory flaws and glitches will show up long before the factory warranty expires. Also, most extended warranties are worded in such as way that they won't cover anything anyway.

There is a reason that everybody pushes extended warranties the way they do - and it's not for the benefit of the consumer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House