Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2014, 01:33 PM

1 posts, read 619 times

Advertisements

I recently moved into my grandmothers old trailer (with additions). We too are having this smell and thought at first it was a dead mouse but it's actually getting worse. The smell seems to be coming from the back bathroom which we've had the water shut off because the plumbing needs to be replaced. Are you saying that because this bathroom isn't in use that the smell is actually coming in through the dry pipes? We don't have the money to replace any of the seals and fixtures right now so what would be the best way to minimize the smell? Should I just pour a few buckets of bleach water in the toilet and tub in that room to create a seal? Help! It's been going on for several weeks and it's actually making us a bit sick. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2014, 01:43 PM

468 posts, read 1,542,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy720 View Post
I recently moved into my grandmothers old trailer (with additions). We too are having this smell and thought at first it was a dead mouse but it's actually getting worse. The smell seems to be coming from the back bathroom which we've had the water shut off because the plumbing needs to be replaced. Are you saying that because this bathroom isn't in use that the smell is actually coming in through the dry pipes? We don't have the money to replace any of the seals and fixtures right now so what would be the best way to minimize the smell? Should I just pour a few buckets of bleach water in the toilet and tub in that room to create a seal? Help! It's been going on for several weeks and it's actually making us a bit sick. Thanks!

Provided that you don't actually have a dead animal in the wall, or under the floor, of that bathroom then, yes, you should try slowly pouring a couple of gallons of bleach water down the tub drain and the sink drain. Traps are designed to hold a small amount of water in the pipe and use it as a "plug" to prevent sewer gases from entering into your home.

As for the toilet take a 5 gallon bucket of bleach water and pour it (not too quickly) into the bowl until the toilet automatically flushes.

If the traps are completely dry, or even partially dry, then enough of the sewer gas can back flow into your home with a smell nauseating enough to make you feel sick.

If pouring bleach water into your fixtures doesn't fix the problem then you could have broken pipes, or an actual dead animal somewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House