Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 07:48 PM

228 posts, read 740,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Slusser View Post
Like I said, you bought from an online dealer, and the only price comparison is to another online dealer, not a local plumber or water treatment dealer, and certainly not the highest priced national brand dealers as you have chosen now.

The online dealer you bought from is an independent dealer, all that you've mentioned now are franchisees or exclusive territory dealers, not totally independent.

Unless the dealer is wanting to maximize the sale price and sell you what they think you want, or hear you say you want, there is no need for a prefilter because the first piece of equipment after the prefilter, is a backwashed filter, why do you think it needs a prefilter; especially if you have city water (instead of your own well)?

Well stated. I was fortunate to be able to hold my delivery and charge for the Crystal Quest System. I had a nice Eco Water sales person present their solution which was about the same cost but not really the same design. This was a all in one tank system with a lot of fancy features that I didn't feel was really the same system and seemed to be a over the top softner.

That being said I am going to show my plumber the Crystal Quest system and see what he can put together. Hopefully he will guide me right and provide what is really needed verses buying more than what I really need. If not then I will complete my order for the Chrystal Quest System.

Old 12-04-2009, 12:39 AM

286 posts, read 1,481,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhmaster View Post
And just exactly where did you get your start and knowledge. Just come to you in a dream one night. Did you buy the big book of water treatment and start reading?

Your assumptions are rediculous. I know exactly what equipment I sell. I know who manufactures it. I know it inside and out. I buy it from my supply house. You buy yours from a jobber. You don't even stock the equipment you sell unless you are towing a big tailer behind that motor home. You just have it drop shipped to the customer from the jobber. What's the difference except for the name of the middle man. When you have a problem with the equipment who do you call?

I have listened to this biased nonsense from you on just about every forum you are still on. You have not one shred of proof to back those statements up and you know it. Are there plumbers that don't do pumps and treatment? sure there are. There are also plumbers that don't do commercial work, or install ejector pumps, or install boilers and furnaces. Then again there are just as many that do. Your entire reason for making statements like that is to scare people on the forums into thinking that they can not trust anyone local or for that matter, anyone other than you to recommend and sell them the right equipment. I know your agenda and so do a lot of other folks. You want to sell stuff, that's fine. I have no problem with salesmen. What I have a problem with is the arrogant attitude and total disrespect for trained and licensed professionals by someone that holds no licenses at all.
Hel lo! Anyone there? psssssttt I wasn't talking about you.

Old 12-04-2009, 05:53 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy CWS View Post
Why? Indeed, why?

I am neither an alarmist or a scientist. I don't pretend to be a nutirionist or treehugger, but I always find the old 'nature's-water-is-good-for-you' routine a bit in the clouds.

No, but you are clearly a salesman givng your pitch.

The best reason to drink hard water - it tastes better. That is why companies like Dasani (Coke or pepsi) put minerals back into their water after they filter the water.

I do not know how much iron a person needs in a day, but my Dad's water obviously has a substantial amount compared to a portion of a vitamin pill. His water will turn your undies yellow in a single wash. (How much more iron is in spinich?) He has his water tested every year. There is no significant bad stuff in it. Iron, Potassium, Calcium, a bit of zinc and some copper (probably from the pipes) everything else is trace elements that are meaningless.

Some water does contain very bad contaminants including antiboitics, and other drugs that were flushed down the drain or through peoples bodies. However very few water treatment systems remove any of that anyway. What systems other than ridiculously expensive RO filters remove chemical contaminants? Softeners certianly do not. Becuase we have city water, we use an RO filter for drinking water, but it is super expsive to maintain and operate and that is just a tiny filter that provides drinking water. I wish that we had my Dad's hard water availabel to drink.

I read somewhere that all water on earth has been flushed through several bathrooms. I do n to know whether that is true, it may be a another sales pitch by someone trying to sell water treatment products.

The way my dad has it set up is ideal in my mind. Fresh pure mineral water for drinking and slightly salty but soft water for washing without turning everything yellow. There is no calcium build up because only one tap delivers hard water.

Look in the stores at bottled water. Filtered water is much cheaper than mountain spring water or mineral water, why, becuase water with minerals in it tastes better.

BTW, we were all raised drinking the hard water. They have used hard water for 40 years and have had no health problems caused by water. Some people will say, but the hardwater may cuase health problems that we do nto yet know about. However it is eaully as likely that filtered or softened water will cause problems that are not know either.

I have no idea what or how you sell. hopefully you are one of the honest one, but water treatment sales are a huge scam area where clever salemens use scare tactics to trick people into paying far more than they need to for useless or unnecessary products; or get them to pay far more than they need to.

One of the best ways to recognize water treatment scams vs. people just selling a decent product, is that the scam people come to you instead of you finding them. If they insist that both spouses be present for their "presentation" - run away, it is a scam guaranteed. If they offer you a prize or reward for listenting to their pitch - SCAM SCAM SCAM. IF they want to come to your house and test your water, lock your door and hide your wallet. You can get your water tested for free at Home Depot, or by your local municipality. If they tell you that a certain price is only available if you sign up today and it will nto be avialable tomorrow, show them the door. There is a reason that they are trying to pressur eyou into a decision without taking the time to think or research.

You find a good company by recommendtion. They give you facts but no hard sell tactics. They do not insist on coming to your home, meeting your spouse, offer limited time offers, or give you absurd informtion to scare you. If they make it sound like all of your neighbors who are nto using their system will be dead tomorrow, they are lying or at least exaggerating. From what I have seen, there are far more scam water treatment companies out there than there are companies providing a good product in good faith. The good ones are out there, but finding them is a trick. Unfortuneately, this is true of many home products.

Old 12-04-2009, 06:30 PM

62 posts, read 256,983 times
I'll take a shot at this before Andy does. some degree of hardness is not necessarily a bad thing. Same goes for some degree of iron. Problems begin when there are excess levels of minerals. So what is excessive? Some depends on your level of tolerance. Excessive hardness can and will destroy faucets and fixtures, plug up piping and shower heads and can be costly to continually repair. Iron in large amounts causes fixture staining and again can collect inside piping, water heaters (same for calcium) and cause maintainence issues with the plumbing. Low or high PH can and will eat through copper piping and brass fixtures. So to a very large degree, your level of tolerence will dictate whether or not you want to treat or not. Taste is also an issue. I too grew up on pretty hard water but it tasted good. When I moved to Michigan the water was virtually undrinkable due to Iron.

Old 12-04-2009, 06:58 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
Iron, or sulfur? Dad's high iron water tastes great, however people who have a lot of sulfur, the water smells and tastes really terrible.

There is no problem with showers, or water heaters, because that water is softened. Only the drinking tap is hard water.

I got that excessive hardness speech at our prior home (from the come to your house rip off people who want your spouse to be present). They said that I needed a softener or I would have all kinds of problems. Funny thing was, my house was 104 years old and never had any of those problems before. Did the water suddenly turn hard? We finally did get a softener because we bought a tankless water heater and the warranty was no good if you had hard water. However we did not notice a real dramatic difference in our other water uses (except that some of our plants died). I am not sure that we did not waste our moeny ont he softener at that house.

Of course there certainly are houses where hard water will cause those problems, my parents had them all before they got a softener. Everthing turned yellow, the dishes looked like they had fur, the metal sink turned brown, the toilets were yellow. A lot of icky looking stuff. Actually, to me, showers feel better with slightly hard water than with softened. I always feel slimey after a softened water shower. I feel like the soap did not rinse off fully.

Now we have city water, and we were told that it is quite soft, so we skipped the softener. However I had to descale our tankless water heater after only two and a half years. I wonder if it is not as soft as they say. That seems like a short time to build up enough scale to set off the sensors. Our dishes are not fuzzy nor do we see much sign of hardness anywhere else. There is a bit of calcium build up on one large sunflower shower head, but not on anything else. We had the water tested at home depot and another independant testing place (they charge you $5 for the test , but they do not try to sell you anything - more trustworthy in my opinion) and they said it was fine.

Old 12-04-2009, 07:21 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,348,515 times
I know I like my water just the way it comes out of my well. I also know we are blessed to be in an area that has great water. To the east of us it can be salty, to the south it will be salty and to the north there is a gypson layer. To the west a total mixed bag.

Old 12-05-2009, 09:46 AM

286 posts, read 1,481,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Maybe I should explain more. I see "red flags" when ANYONE has little invested. No store, no property or warehouse. No stock. Depends on forums to sell. Has to belittle and discredit to make himself/herself look good or right. Every thread they post in becomes a "war zone". Sells under the "just helping" false hood. Again this is my general thought on many people, not just one.
Just the other day it was announced that many Billions were going to be spent on online purchases this holiday season.

I guess many people mistakenly think that most of the people selling products online stock the products.

Some do but most do not, they drop ship from their suppliers as I do and you find a problem with that.

That means they/I don't have rent to pay to store inventory and pay tax on inventory, or the insurance costs to insure it, utilities to light/cool/heat the building etc. etc. etc..

That is very good for consumers because it keeps the sellers'costs down and makes the purchase much less expensive.

Most people do not think that stocking products increases the sellers' knowledge of the products, or the quality of the products. But I stocked many 1000s of dollars of products for 18 years as a local dealer. I also sold and installed those products and serviced them and competitors' products, and I sell the same products today. And as nhmaster says and you agree with, I know water treatment and the equipment used; meaning all equipemnt not just what I sell.

I also know well construction, EPA regulations and ground and surface water contaminants, codes, groundwater issues, pumps and pressure tanks. And for some reason business is booming. I'm thinking it's all you folks going on about me. Looking at my statistics, the number of people reading my posts wherever we all post, they are way up. So thanks y'all for the increased exposure. If it keeps up, I may send you and your hubby a belated Christmas card.

Old 12-05-2009, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Slusser View Post
Just the other day it was announced that many Billions were going to be spent on online purchases this holiday season.

I guess many people mistakenly think that most of the people selling products online stock the products.

Some do but most do not, they drop ship from their suppliers as I do and you find a problem with that.

That means they/I don't have rent to pay to store inventory and pay tax on inventory, or the insurance costs to insure it, utilities to light/cool/heat the building etc. etc. etc..

That is very good for consumers because it keeps the sellers'costs down and makes the purchase much less expensive.

Most people do not think that stocking products increases the sellers' knowledge of the products, or the quality of the products. But I stocked many 1000s of dollars of products for 18 years as a local dealer. I also sold and installed those products and serviced them and competitors' products, and I sell the same products today. And as nhmaster says and you agree with, I know water treatment and the equipment used; meaning all equipemnt not just what I sell.

I also know well construction, EPA regulations and ground and surface water contaminants, codes, groundwater issues, pumps and pressure tanks. And for some reason business is booming. I'm thinking it's all you folks going on about me. Looking at my statistics, the number of people reading my posts wherever we all post, they are way up. So thanks y'all for the increased exposure. If it keeps up, I may send you and your hubby a belated Christmas card.
Why send it late? You have time!!!!

Maybe you can answer my questions too. You have no license or business property. If I were truly an unsatisfied customer, what is my recourse? How or where would I file a claim?

Now, you can say all your customer are happy. But, let us just say one is not. Do you continue to fight, belittle them and say you are right and they are wrong?? Just that demeanor scares me to death in a sales person.

Old 12-05-2009, 10:46 AM

62 posts, read 256,983 times
Know what Driller? It ain't my fight. I have given up. It's up to the forum owner and the mods to set rules and police their sites. What goes around comes around.

Old 12-05-2009, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhmaster View Post
Know what Driller? It ain't my fight. I have given up. It's up to the forum owner and the mods to set rules and police their sites. What goes around comes around.
Ya know what? I do not always see thing 100% your way or Andy's way however, I always respect you guys!!! You both are MORE than welcome to stop by if you are in my area. You just might have to bring a jug of water for your coffee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House