Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2010, 12:23 PM

510 posts, read 2,206,520 times

Advertisements

I recently had my house resided and had to purchase Z-Blocks so I would be able to install outside lights against the siding. Does anyone know what holds the Z blocks to the surface of the siding?

I have no idea and I wished that my contractor told me before they did the siding, because then I would of bought the Z-blocks that get installed under the siding
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2010, 01:39 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,054,754 times
I don't know about "Z-blocks"- but I do know what a "J-Block" is.
It's basically a trim piece that goes around an electrical box. It hides the cut of the vinyl to give it a clean appearance. It comes in two pieces- the back mounts to the sheathing of the house and the face piece snaps on the back piece.
It's a pretty straight forward install- pop loose a section of siding, cut the hole, install the back piece, reinstall the siding, pop on the top trim piece.

Old 02-16-2010, 01:48 PM

That is different. The siding is already up and cannot be taken down - This mounts on top of the siding and then the light mounts to the z-block

Looks like this
Shop Severe Weather White Vinyl Flush Mount Block at Lowes.com

Old 02-16-2010, 02:50 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,054,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by budsvtec View Post
That is different. The siding is already up and cannot be taken down - This mounts on top of the siding and then the light mounts to the z-block

Looks like this
Shop Severe Weather White Vinyl Flush Mount Block at Lowes.com
That's one of those cheesy- oops forgot that. It's basically the front half of the one I referred to earlier. The difference is the one you have is held in place by compression from the fixture. The fixture doesn't mount to the block- it mounts to the electrical box.
And it's no big deal to pop off a section of siding- every manufacturer has a special tool to use that "unhooks" the siding. When complete, you just pop it back on.

Old 02-16-2010, 04:25 PM

I figured that was how it mounted. Im not touching the siding - I know I will mess something up
Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House