Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 07:42 AM

475 posts, read 1,576,634 times

Advertisements

At our old house, we had a large foyer window, did not put in the 3M film until the last two years. The sun was so strong there foyer hardwood was two toned - faded where the sun came in and got the part that was not protected by the rug. At our new place, I want to put in the film as soon as possible, in the rooms that has the strongest sunlight coming in. I wanted to see how many of you all have solar films on your windows, would you recommend getting them in all the rooms or just the ones getting the most sun? Any companies you would like to recommend or avoid?

Thanks,

D
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2009, 08:06 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,827,129 times
Be careful about using solar film on double paned windows.
I think solar film, even if not too tinted, can protect furniture against UV damage.
Unless the film is really dark, it won't help too much keeping heat from direct sunlight out.
Don't put dark film on south facing rooms.

Old 12-02-2009, 07:17 AM

18,481 posts, read 31,678,189 times
Somebody wrote on another forum something about putting tinting on double pane windows that made the windows crack. You might want to look into that. Sorry I cant be of any more help, but a cracked double pane window is so not the look....

Old 12-02-2009, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
cracked double pane window is so not the look....
Actually, they're coming back, along with Levi's corduroy pants.

Old 12-03-2009, 05:59 AM

4,620 posts, read 15,001,710 times
We have the film on our first floor windows on the southeast. There are only two windows in our house that face southwest, and they're not filmed (but perhaps should be). We just installed film on the windows of the upstairs bonus room which has windowed walls on the northeast, east, and southeast.

The windows on the first floor were filmed by a previous owner and they used the DIY type and installed the film on the outside. I'm not so sure there's much benefit at all since the UV rays have come through and yellowed the blinds. However, not knowing when the windows were filmed, perhaps the blinds were already yellowed. As for heat, the film does reflect a wee bit of it, but nothing substantial.

When we did the bonus room this summer, we had an installer do it. He used a Madico product and the film was installed on the inside.

And yes, the film, when installed on the inside of the house, can crack a double pane window. It happened to us. The film does void the warranty from the window manufacturer, but we had a warranty from the film company against cracking and they replaced the window.

Do I like the solar film and do I think it reflects heat and UVs? I honestly don't know. We didn't choose a very dark film nor did we choose the film that looks silvery from the outside. Perhaps choosing one of those would have made more of a difference. The only two things I do know are that the films block out some light as if our windows are wearing sunglasses and the only thing I can use to wash the filmed windows is hot water and elbow grease which puts that task even further down on the what-I-don't-like-to-do list.

Old 12-03-2009, 06:01 AM

I guess the best way to do this, if you are lucky enough to do it, is to install tinted glass windows on the east and west sides of the house.

Old 12-03-2009, 07:54 AM

851 posts, read 3,629,001 times
Just install films that are designed for double-pane windows. there are many available now.

Old 12-03-2009, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStupid View Post
Just install films that are designed for double-pane windows. there are many available now.
I don't think any are dark films though, right? They only protect (carpets, drapes, etc) from UV. They don't do much for keeping the home cool from radiant sunlight.

Old 12-04-2009, 09:32 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,958,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Unless the film is really dark, it won't help too much keeping heat from direct sunlight out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I don't think any are dark films though, right? They only protect (carpets, drapes, etc) from UV. They don't do much for keeping the home cool from radiant sunlight.
I thought the heat-resistant capabilities of window films came from their reflective (metallic) qualities more than the tinting. Is that correct?

Old 12-06-2009, 06:43 AM

835 posts, read 3,980,267 times
After having furniture, paintngs, and flooring faded due to sunlight in our last house we had tinted film installed in every public room(non bedroom) in our house. We have window coverings in the bedrooms so there was no real need for it there. We did it strictly for the fade factor but if it does help with energy costs that is just a bonus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House