Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2009, 01:08 PM

4 posts, read 26,477 times

Advertisements

Hey all! Looking for some guidance on choosing a supplemental home heating system. The house we are looking at buying has a propane furnace that has ducts into the basement level and main floor. The top floor has no heating ducts . I would like to hear your experiences with electric heaters (like Eden Pure), pellet stoves, wood/coal stoves, etc. to warm a room or one of the floors. We do not have an existing fireplace to put an insert into so I figured these choices might be the easiest to retrofit into a home. Please also let me know what experiences you've had with heat output and possible soot, odors as well.

And add anything else you think might be helpful!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2009, 05:45 PM

914 posts, read 2,204,734 times
Electric heaters do provide very nice heat. There is no difference in efficiency between the very cheapest and most expensive electric heat units. Oil-filled radiators, quartz heaters, old fashioned milk barn heaters, Sun-Twin IR heaters - they all are ultimately resistance heaters. Which design to choose is a factor of your own needs and the particular space to be heated. Currently, the operating costs for electric resistance heating is the most expensive method available. However, the capital costs can be very, very low. If you are just trying to heat a small space you may never, ever recover the extra capital cost of more efficient heat sources.

With pellet stoves in general, and modern EPA rated wood burning stove, odors and smoke should be a non-issue. I have a general rule that says if I can smell or see my stove operating when outside, then something is wrong.

For the wood burning options, do yourself a favor and spend a few hours at www.Hearth.com . Then, when you are ready to ask questions, sign into their forum at Hearth.com Wood Stove and Pellet Stove Forums....and much more! | Powered By ExpressionEngine . I am not trying to blow off your questions, but for anything related to fireplace or stove heat systems there is more information there than anywhere.

Good luck!

Old 12-29-2009, 06:20 PM

4 posts, read 26,477 times
Thanks Arrby - sounds like a great site!
I'll check it out

Old 12-29-2009, 11:27 PM

5,987 posts, read 11,670,577 times
I have a two story house in northern Ill, where it gets fairly cold. While I have heat registers on the second floor I close them in the winter. My house is well insulated and heat from downstairs rises enough in a 2 story foyer to keep the bedrooms up here warm. Of course that means we have to keep the doors open. It's just my wife and I so that's not a problem. Your situation may be different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House