Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 06:03 PM

1,869 posts, read 4,022,334 times

Advertisements

My DH and I cannot decide on what color to paint the trim on our new house. We tried/sampled 3 shades of gray and did not like it. We are thinking black. What are some other opinions? thanks oh, we will eventually redo the front porch color as well.
Attached Thumbnails
cedar siding. what color trim?-060.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2010, 11:19 PM

3,191 posts, read 9,181,397 times
Hey Stoy! I like your house and think it looks great for your locale.IMHO, Have you thought about using a green of some sort? Maybe an evergreen or pine...or Behr has a Pine Grove and Climbing Ivy. something a color form nature.
Maybe go with a lighter shade on the trim, then use a darker shade for the porch? What color is the roof?
I think grays woud be too blah

Are you going to paint or use a wood stain?
Also, does the house need pressure washed first, and do you need to use something like Thompsons water seal stuff on the wood to help preserve??

Just thinking:0 I guess it depends if you want it to all blend in together or have a little Wow factor & stand out a bit.
Good luck! look forward to seeing the finished project

Old 03-20-2010, 06:53 AM

6,196 posts, read 5,443,360 times
I too love the house! Not thrilled with the grays or the blacks, black will fade out and look washed after time. But I will hold my opinion until we hear the color of the roof. The red doesn't look bad though, maybe just a different shade of it? I want to see interior shots...

Old 03-20-2010, 06:59 AM

50,342 posts, read 63,918,476 times
I'm thinking green, too. Like a Charleston green, which is almost black...nothing too bright.

Old 03-20-2010, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyma View Post
Hey Stoy! I like your house and think it looks great for your locale.IMHO, Have you thought about using a green of some sort? Maybe an evergreen or pine...or Behr has a Pine Grove and Climbing Ivy. something a color form nature.
Maybe go with a lighter shade on the trim, then use a darker shade for the porch? What color is the roof?
I think grays woud be too blah

Are you going to paint or use a wood stain?
Also, does the house need pressure washed first, and do you need to use something like Thompsons water seal stuff on the wood to help preserve??

Just thinking:0 I guess it depends if you want it to all blend in together or have a little Wow factor & stand out a bit.
Good luck! look forward to seeing the finished project
AHH! too many questions at once, and no coffee yet!!
ok, ok
1. the roof is a dark red, what's that called, regular, not metal. shingle. that's it.
2. We will pressure wash the house this summer, might even do one of those stain lifters and restain so it's brighter and cleaner, but still keep it a cedar color.
3. Paint for trim, not stain.
4. Eventually will do trex decking, natural color-reddish/brownish, but that'll be after everything else is done.

considered green but with a red roof, i didnt want xmas all year long. other colors we also considered- dark blue, but we didnt want to make the house multi colored looking, dark tan/bronze, and deep red. (DH turned down the red, but i will remind him about the black fading)
Thanks all! great advice!

Painter, i'll put interior shots on over at camp.

Old 03-20-2010, 08:35 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,013,252 times
I think the trim, door and porch should be different colors or shades of a color.

The porch and steps shouldn't be the same color as the rest of the trim. The door should be an accent color different from the trim color.

I'd paint the porch and steps brown (the tan/bronze sounds nice). Leave the door red. It looks nice red.

Actually, you could leave the trim red if you painted the porch and steps brown. It's the porch that is overwhelming everything.

Or paint the porch, steps and trim brown and leave the door red.

btw, why is the trim painted on the first floor but not the second floor?

Old 03-20-2010, 09:16 AM

Hopes, thanks for opinion! the trim is painted on 2nd floor, it's just faded. i agree, the porch is overwhelming, but not as bad as in that picture. my DH and I are just not 'red' people. thanks for mentioning the door. I wasnt thinking about it. eventually we will replace it with a solid wood stained door, but that's again, not for awhile.

Old 03-20-2010, 09:35 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,013,252 times
Since you're not red people, pick another color for the door. The door should stand out separately from the rest of the house. It's the vocal point of any house.

I'd definitely try to chose a color that blends the porch and steps in with the wood of the house.

Can you find a trim color that is similar to the faded paint on the second floor trim? That actually looks nice. It's not overwhelming. It gives you an idea of how the trim would look with a beige/tan color.

Brown porch and steps. Tan/bronze trim. Accent color for door. That's what I would do.

Maybe Blue for the Door:

TRIM (bronze):

PORCH:

Old 03-20-2010, 10:00 AM

2,505 posts, read 6,147,831 times
Okay Stoy, so I have no idea what color would look good. I was thinking of the colors as if they are stripes on a shirt...what would look good together. The cedar (to me) has an undertinge of rusty orange in the brown. You mentioned that the roof is dark red, so not sure what would match with both those colors. Maybe some sort of neutral (tan, beige, ivory) for the trim, keep the door red, and make the porch dark chocolate brown.

Old 03-20-2010, 10:33 AM

thanks, all. mentioning these comments to my husband and he's not agreeing. going to HD for more samples.
what about a wine/burgundy color for the trim??

Hopes, love that blue color!!! but with a reddish roof?? hmm...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House