Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 03:17 PM

128 posts, read 99,034 times

Advertisements

Hello, thanks for link and info.
Well, I've only slept on it last night ~ was all excited to think this was it!
Finally a good night's sleep! No way.....totally shifted all night. It is
too firm; my bones seemed to hurt. I will try to give it a few more days
before I call the store. They want 399.00 to exchange!!!

Someone else did say it took a bit to get used to theirs and then they loved it ~ ~ ~ ~ I hope this is the case for me, too!
Thanks again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggalegga View Post
Denver Mattress Company's website changed since my post. Links aren't working for me today. Here's the web address:

Denver Mattress Company 1-866 Dr Choice: Snowmass Queen Mattress Set : MS-DMSMPLQ

This new site doesn't seem as informative as the old one.

I bought the queen size Snowmass mattress set. I bought the low-rise foundation (5" high) so that the overall height of both the foundation and the top mattress were the same height as the set I was replacing. My bed frame itself is quite high already.

Dimensions:
Mattress: 60x80x11
Low-rise Foundation: 60x80x9

I hope you get a good night's sleep soon. Do the people from the store where you bought your STL bed offer any advice about your concern of firmness?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2010, 10:13 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess&Pea View Post
Someone else did say it took a bit to get used to theirs and then they loved it ~ ~ ~ ~ I hope this is the case for me, too!
It always takes me a few weeks to get used to a new mattress. I'm totally the Princess and the Pea myself. Give it time.

You might find that buying a quality down mattress topper would be better a better investment than spending the $399 to exchange the mattress.

Old 08-06-2010, 12:04 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
If I were getting a new one, I'd get one with a layer of Thermal foam. Some hotels have special mattresses, so you could find one and go test drive a few mattresses, then buy one you like. I think the hotels even sell them.
I just checked. It's Serta which has arrangements with Marriott, Crown Plaza, Hilton and others.

Old 08-06-2010, 12:44 PM

1,817 posts, read 6,859,728 times
Anyone use the memory foam mattress?

Old 08-06-2010, 07:42 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
One of the probelm with mattressses is that people do not turn and roatate them lie instrcutions advise to get longest life. As to memory foam just make sure you are nt like me in that you do not like sleeping hot.They are hotter once you lay on them for while.

Old 08-06-2010, 11:04 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,319,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by campmom123 View Post
if you press a sales person, they will admit that all the pillowtops (which is about all you can get these days) WILL indent where you sleep. I don't know if plushtop is different. I don't know if you can get just a regular mattress withOUT anything on top to squish down. If you can, it's probably cheap and then will sink in the middle like the old school mattresses do. Pick a lesser of 2 evils?
I sold mattresses for two years and everything you wrote is right on the money. Most Americans seem to want very plush mattresses, but the truth is, the products that make a mattress plush simply CANNOT continue to bounce back for years on end. (Not even for one year if you weigh more than 100 pounds.) Soft foam, down (real or synthetic), cotton batting, etc., simply can't take the pressure of a body night after night. It's a matter of physics, not poor quality on the part of the manufacturer.

On the other hand, extremely firm spring mattresses topped with dense foam can perform well for years. The trouble is, most people who lie down on them jump up shrieking about sleeping on a rock.

My suggestion re: value for the money? Buy a very firm spring mattress for 3/4 of your budget, then spend the rest on a high-quality soft topper that you can replace when it gets squished. The TV shopping networks have good prices on replaceable pillow tops and featherbeds, Costco has memory foam ones, and you can even buy a topper made of genuine Tempurpedic material if you can afford it.

Lots of people are moving to solid latex mattresses in recent years, largely because of the failure of comfy pillowtops to hold up. As another poster said, IKEA sells them, which is not a surprise since they are the mattress of choice in Europe for decades. Overstock.com sells them in a choice of densities and for very good prices, but beware that Overstock will not take a mattress back just because you don't like it. But at the prices they have, many people are willing to take a chance. Be aware that any foam mattress will have an odor when you first take it out of the plastic. It will dissipate as the mattress airs, but don't buy one if you are a smell-a-phobic.

Also, be wary of the mattress with the personal controls (you know which one I mean, Bionic Woman fans). No matter what they tell you, they are just air mattresses with fancy surroundings. If that's OK with you, go for it, but make sure you keep your warranty info on hand and don't take sharp objects to bed with you.

Old 08-07-2010, 04:47 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,490,785 times
I don't think they make latex foam mattress/box spring sets the way they used to. We still have a couple of old ones in the family (one in our guest room - another in my brother's guest room - etc.) and they are going strong after 20+ years (although they have cosmetic damage).

OTOH - we bought a new latex set perhaps 5 years ago (I was so excited to find a new latex set that seemed like our old ones) - and it fell apart (big sag in the middle) in less than a year (perhaps it was a company specific issue).

Anyway - we bought our set at Mattress Firm in JAX - and - amazingly - it honored the warranty - no questions asked (it had a central claims office - and we did have to send in pictures - but I consider that a reasonable request). We got a replacement set of equal or lesser cost - without any fee at all to pick up the old defective set and deliver the new set. Anyway - if I had to buy a new set today - I'd check the store and/or manufacturer warranties - and whether they live up to them - first. The nature of or quality of the set second. Robyn

Old 08-07-2010, 04:56 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,490,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
I sold mattresses for two years and everything you wrote is right on the money. Most Americans seem to want very plush mattresses, but the truth is, the products that make a mattress plush simply CANNOT continue to bounce back for years on end. (Not even for one year if you weigh more than 100 pounds.) Soft foam, down (real or synthetic), cotton batting, etc., simply can't take the pressure of a body night after night. It's a matter of physics, not poor quality on the part of the manufacturer.

On the other hand, extremely firm spring mattresses topped with dense foam can perform well for years. The trouble is, most people who lie down on them jump up shrieking about sleeping on a rock.

My suggestion re: value for the money? Buy a very firm spring mattress for 3/4 of your budget, then spend the rest on a high-quality soft topper that you can replace when it gets squished. The TV shopping networks have good prices on replaceable pillow tops and featherbeds, Costco has memory foam ones, and you can even buy a topper made of genuine Tempurpedic material if you can afford it.

Lots of people are moving to solid latex mattresses in recent years, largely because of the failure of comfy pillowtops to hold up. As another poster said, IKEA sells them, which is not a surprise since they are the mattress of choice in Europe for decades. Overstock.com sells them in a choice of densities and for very good prices, but beware that Overstock will not take a mattress back just because you don't like it. But at the prices they have, many people are willing to take a chance. Be aware that any foam mattress will have an odor when you first take it out of the plastic. It will dissipate as the mattress airs, but don't buy one if you are a smell-a-phobic.

Also, be wary of the mattress with the personal controls (you know which one I mean, Bionic Woman fans). No matter what they tell you, they are just air mattresses with fancy surroundings. If that's OK with you, go for it, but make sure you keep your warranty info on hand and don't take sharp objects to bed with you.
The set we have in our guest bedroom is an ancient S&F Marvelux (whatever that is) foam mattress over what appears to be a regular set of box springs. Judging from the label - the mattress is foam over some kind of inner springs. It is still one comfy mattress . Robyn

Old 08-07-2010, 05:05 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,319,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
I don't think they make latex foam mattress/box spring sets the way they used to. We still have a couple of old ones in the family (one in our guest room - another in my brother's guest room - etc.) and they are going strong after 20+ years (although they have cosmetic damage).

OTOH - we bought a new latex set perhaps 5 years ago (I was so excited to find a new latex set that seemed like our old ones) - and it fell apart (big sag in the middle) in less than a year (perhaps it was a company specific issue).
Latex is very hard to make. It starts out as a liquid that is then molded and cured. The process has to be done under VERY controlled circumstances. If the temperature in the factory varies too much in either direction, for example, that can throw off the curing process and create a product that may fail. There are also other failure causes.

Oddly enough, latex is much like steel in that way. It can look just like it should look, then fail later under stress circumstances.

Latex mattresses became popular after WWII and they were, indeed, a very reliable, often for 20+ years. My parents bought one in 1950 and they claim to have gotten that much service from the one they had. Those mattresses eventually dried out and started to crumble. The newer latex doesn't do that, but still often has other failure issues because of quality control.

So if you buy one, get either a great warranty or a rock bottom price.

Old 08-08-2010, 06:33 AM

630 posts, read 1,874,529 times
We have had a temperpedic for several years and love it,never wake up with back pain like I used to.Cost some coin,but well worth it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House