Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 02:26 PM

713 posts, read 3,437,829 times

Advertisements

Problem: The side where milk and other stuff goes has no cold air at all! The freezer has now become the fridge because its not cold enough for ice to form or anything to freeze. The back panels in the freezer are covered in frost and I sometimes can break off pieces 3 inches thick!! I don't wan't to call a repair guy since they told me it will cost around $40 just to show up and if it turns out to be something simple that I could of done I will go crazy! It's a whirlpool fridge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2010, 02:45 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,521,713 times
It needs to be defrosted.

Old 04-03-2010, 03:40 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,798,510 times
Even if it's a frost free refrigerator it can frost up because of humidity. Mine developed some icicles hanging from a vent in the back of the freezer. I gently tapped off all the ice I could, then unplugged the fridge for a while. You can't turn mine off, have to unplug it. I plugged it back in after an hour or so which gave the ice inside the wall a chance to melt and drain away.

Old 04-03-2010, 03:43 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,798,588 times
This belongs in House Forums... But, yep either your defrost timer is stuck or bad or the defrost heat element is burnt out. There is also a defrost limit thermostat which could be at fault. When these parts aren't functioning and defrosting your fridge automatically you got probs. It should defrost generally every 6 to 8 hours. When this doesn't happen the Evaporator ices up and generally forms ice around and stops the fan. No fan no air circulation. All the cooling comes from the Freezer compartment in most Frost Free's. You may as well call the repairman . If you are tech enough you could find the defrost timer and advance it manually to eliminate some possibilities. If it were the timer they're cheap and simply plug in..

Old 04-03-2010, 03:44 PM

Well after removing everything in the back of the freezer I found the problem. There is a radiator type thing then the fan on top but half the fan all the way down to half the radiator is pure ICE!!!! There is no room for air to even pass from the two all the tubes and the fan itself is all iced up....So now I have a knife and am hacking away at it, but might take a few hours to be all gone.....

Old 04-03-2010, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgomez912 View Post
Well after removing everything in the back of the freezer I found the problem. There is a radiator type thing then the fan on top but half the fan all the way down to half the radiator is pure ICE!!!! There is no room for air to even pass from the two all the tubes and the fan itself is all iced up....So now I have a knife and am hacking away at it, but might take a few hours to be all gone.....
Do not Hack away with a knife!!! You punch a hole in aluminum tubing you'll be buying a new refrigerator!!! Use warm water (messy) or a hair dryer!!! Get it defrosted completely. If fan still works you may get a few days out of it .

Old 04-03-2010, 04:33 PM

Thanks for the advice!! I don't have a blow dryer but I do have a small heater so I have that plugged in right now. It's doing a good job melting the ice but now I have a small pool of water on the floor. Using all the ice I collected to keep some of my food still cold -sign-

Old 04-03-2010, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgomez912 View Post
Thanks for the advice!! I don't have a blow dryer but I do have a small heater so I have that plugged in right now. It's doing a good job melting the ice but now I have a small pool of water on the floor. Using all the ice I collected to keep some of my food still cold -sign-
You're welcome ..be sure it's off, better yet unplugged. Be sure to re-install all panels and such. You can empty your drip pan under refrig. to cut down on mess. Remove kick panel at bottom in front of fridge. Good luck!

Old 04-03-2010, 06:08 PM

Well the freezer is cooler but there still is no air going to my fridge... The tube leading to the ice machine on top is very cold while the tube for it also leads to my fridge but there is no air.... Now is it a busted thermostat? Since no matter where I put it the air pressure remains the same.

Old 04-03-2010, 08:26 PM

12,981 posts, read 14,527,800 times
Is there some kind of a drain hole in the back of the freezer compartment near the bottom in the middle? Did you take the floor part out of the freezer?? Is this what you were trying to melt? If so, then take a turkey baster or something similar and fill it with warm water and flush it out until it goes thru freely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House