Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 12:49 PM

10 posts, read 33,440 times

Advertisements

I have a family of 4 and really want a change. I work in the medical field and my husband is a senior IT. Where is a good place to raise a family in Houston Tx or outside of Houston, tx.. It just semms like we have to drive to get to any venue in florida. I would like to be in the center of it all w/a small town atmosphere.. is that possible...also good schools for the young ones is the most important factor... any input would be great.... thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2010, 01:24 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,929,122 times
You should review your post...'center of it all' does not really correlate w' small town atmosphere' especiallly w the 4th largest city in the country. This type of question has been asked often, utilize the search function you should find your answers.

Old 06-26-2010, 04:26 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,895,174 times
I've lived in both Tampa and Houston...

Houston has Tampa beat in quality of life, schools, affordability, jobs, and income..

Tampa has Houston beat in beaches and that's about it, Honestly...

Houston is too spread out to be in the center of everything.. I assume you maybe mean the center CBD ?

In that case you could possibly look at Montrose... personally, I prefer West Houston/Bear Creek/Katy areas...

It'll def. be more affordable for you to live.

Old 06-26-2010, 05:21 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,201,105 times
Here, it's all about job location and commute - and THEN you pick the best fit according to atmosphere, amenities, size home, schools, and budget. There is no place here that is close to everything, including your jobs. Inside the loop, the atmosphere is not small-town.

Old 06-26-2010, 05:35 PM

10 posts, read 33,440 times
Default Tampa, fl vs Houston, Tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltampa View Post
I have a family of 4 and really want a change. I work in the medical field and my husband is a senior IT. Where is a good place to raise a family in Houston Tx or outside of Houston, tx.. It just semms like we have to drive to get to any venue in florida. I would like to be in the center of it all w/a small town atmosphere.. is that possible...also good schools for the young ones is the most important factor... any input would be great.... thanks

in the above post i just meant it would be nice to live somewhere w/a small town atmosphere but yet close enough to all the big city attractions/venues... i just hate having to drive an hour to do something with my family... no transit here in tampa, fl...

Old 06-26-2010, 05:47 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,895,174 times
Quote:
in the above post i just meant it would be nice to live somewhere w/a small town atmosphere but yet close enough to all the big city attractions/venues... i just hate having to drive an hour to do something with my family... no transit here in tampa, fl...
Really, To live in a "small town" around the Houston Metro, you'll prob. have an hour (atleast) commute time to the same things you do in Tampa..

I live 19 miles from downtown and usually in rush hour it takes an hour or so to get home when I'm downtown, lucky I don't work down there... lol

Old 06-26-2010, 08:11 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,201,105 times
Houston covers 8700 square miles. The job locations are the first order of business.

Old 06-26-2010, 08:25 PM

1,474 posts, read 4,997,680 times
on highway6 between bissonnet and highway59 has something like that. they sell firewood and fruits on the side of the highway there and barbecue on parking lots . dunno about schools there tho. you better know where youre working before you search for homes tho

Old 06-27-2010, 12:19 AM

316 posts, read 784,544 times
Family of Four - Close to the City - Good Place to Raise a Family - Small Town Atmosphere - Your Husband works in IT - Your in the Medical Field - Defintely check out Kingwood - 20 min to downtown Houston, very nice community, some beautiful homes & excellent value, parks, trees everywhere, new shopping, close to Lake Houston - light traffic to downtown during rush hour- other option is Pearland if you work in the Medical Center.

http://www.kingwoodonline.com/

Old 06-27-2010, 12:18 PM

1,075 posts, read 2,917,049 times
Quote:
As Oildog points out, you really are asking the impossible.

If you are in the "middle of it all" in the 4th largest city in the nation, you are in a very "urban" area, not a "small town".

If you don't want to "drive to get to any venue", you can't live in a small-town atmosphere anywhere in the US.

You can either live in a small town an hour or so from the city (any city), and understand that, in order to have that "small town atmosphere", you must drive to everything else, or you can live in the center of the city and have everything at your fingertips---in an urban environment.

Or, as someone points out, you can live in a family-friendly suburb (like Kingwood), but understand that you'll have to drive an hour or two to get to, for example, the beach; or an hour to get to the museums, or to any of the other city amenities (theater, opera, symphony, pro sports, zoo).

I don't know of any city anywhere where you can "have it both ways".

Also, if you think you have to drive a long way in Tampa---Houston is not for you. The city is several orders of magnitude larger than Tampa. I mean, I love it here, and I don't want to give up all the amenities (top-notch arts, pro sports, top-of-the-line medical facilities, two major airports, one of which features daily nonstops to the world), but that means (a) I understand that driving to any of these things will take time, money, and effort, (b) I have a security system, lock my doors at all times, and don't trust strangers, and (c) am surrounded by people who look, speak, and act differently from me. Those are some of the prices you pay to be "in the center of it all".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston