Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2010, 01:47 PM

101 posts, read 289,082 times

Advertisements

Hello Houston. I currently live in Cleveland, OH and am looking to get out ASAP. I am sick and tired of Cleveland and worst of all there is no place to find work. My husband was a cable technician and I worked as an administrative assistant most of my life. I am currently exploring three cities for different reasons. Oh by the way I am married with two girls ages 9 and 5.

I think Vegas is beautiful but I hear the schools are very awful. Plus locals complain there is no work. However I went to Vegas and found a job temporary very fast.

Atlanta is atlanta. My family is there and although I am not a fan of the traffic my family is there. I also here that it is very hard to find a job here also and that in most places not all the schools are horrible.

Then there is Houston. I don't have any family here but I have heard good things about Houston especially job wise.

Please HELP Houston with non-bias opinions. I would really appreciate as I am looking to move within the next month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2010, 02:14 PM

4,023 posts, read 7,370,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KylaY12345 View Post
Hello Houston. I currently live in Cleveland, OH and am looking to get out ASAP. I am sick and tired of Cleveland and worst of all there is no place to find work. My husband was a cable technician and I worked as an administrative assistant most of my life. I am currently exploring three cities for different reasons. Oh by the way I am married with two girls ages 9 and 5.

I think Vegas is beautiful but I hear the schools are very awful. Plus locals complain there is no work. However I went to Vegas and found a job temporary very fast.

Atlanta is atlanta. My family is there and although I am not a fan of the traffic my family is there. I also here that it is very hard to find a job here also and that in most places not all the schools are horrible.

Then there is Houston. I don't have any family here but I have heard good things about Houston especially job wise.

Please HELP Houston with non-bias opinions. I would really appreciate as I am looking to move within the next month.
If you compare Atlanta and Houston, Houston is better for jobs because the unemployment rate is lower in this city, and this city creates jobs since the end of 2009.
Atlanta is a great city, but for the moment Houston is better professionnally speaking.

Old 06-27-2010, 03:12 PM

1,632 posts, read 3,326,187 times
I'm from out west and would cross Vegas off your list pretty quickly. Terrible economy, the weather is just as bad as Houston's, and there is no culture to speak of. And although there are great communities and families there,I wouldn't raise my kids there in a million years.

I've never lived in Atlanta, but have been there on several occasions. I like the city and it sounds like you have a connection there with your family -- I can't put a value on that for you, that's something you'll have to do yourself. Personally, I love my family a great deal but only considered what was best for my wife and children when choosing where to live.

Houston is what it is. It's a giant sprawling city with a huge diverse population. It's the 4th largest city in the country and has all the problems of any city that size -- traffic, pollution, crime, etc. It also has crappy weather 5 months out of the year. If you can get beyond that, it's a wonderful place to live. Very diverse, great museums (the children's museum is especially wonderful -- your kids could spend a week there and not get bored), good zoo, lots of culture, great local cuisine (tex mex, bbq, steaks), easy access to the beach, affordable housing (especially if your'e willing to put up with a commute, or just don't have to go downtown -- my wife and I just bought a 3300 sq ft. house 18 miles from downtown for just over 200k), and good schools in the suburbs.

I've never found a city outside of Bumpkinville USA with nicer people. They tend to be more conservative than your average Joe (a plus for me, perhaps a con for you), but in a city this size you'll find people from all walks of life. Economy is much better than most places, but getting a good job will still require some decent effort on your part.

Few cons: zoning is non-existent, so be careful where you live. You could live in a beautiful house one block away from a a run down slum, which is next to a truck delivery ramp. Property tax is high, although it's offset by a lack of state income tax -- just be aware of that when you're looking at houses you can afford. The Astros suck. That's really about it (aside from the typical big city problems, which actually aren't nearly as bad as those problems in similar sized cities).

Old 06-28-2010, 08:22 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,772,850 times
Choose Houston. It has a lot of opportunities and a low cost of living.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston