Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 06:44 PM

3,106 posts, read 9,121,577 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have cell phone service through Boost Mobile? How is coverage around the Houston area?

We're trying to get our monthly expenses down & although we've been with AT&T going on 20 yrs, it's time for a change.

Boost currently has a $50/month plan that includes just about everything but the kitchen sink. I really just use my service for voice, texting & the occasional photo so even though their phone selection isn't very big, there are a couple that will more than suit my needs.

Thanks for your feedback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2010, 08:09 PM

73 posts, read 271,474 times
I don't have Boost, but like you, have AT&T and am looking to make a change.

The plan that has really caught my eye is Straight Talk at Walmart. It's one of the TracPhone companies. $30 for 1000 mins, 1000 texts and 30mb internet, or $45 for unlimited. Two of my friends just ported to the Straight talk and really like it. It appears to be run on Verizon's network.

Boost runs on Sprints network and we're not big fans of Sprint. My husband had a sprint phone for about six months and the coverage was spotty. That's why I'm looking at this Straight Talk.

Check out howardforums.com It's a forum just like this devoted to all the different cellular providers out there. It might give you some more info to consider.

Old 07-26-2010, 08:40 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,191,612 times
I have T-mobile and pay $85 - but only because my Blackberry requires the $35 extra to get email, etc. which is important for me. My regular plan was $50 and included unlimited calls, including long distance, and unlimited texting. I have absolutely no complaints.

BTW, love your new tag line

Old 07-26-2010, 09:26 PM

316 posts, read 784,245 times
Quote:
Bozydeaux-Boost runs on Sprints network and we're not big fans of Sprint. My husband had a sprint phone for about six months and the coverage was spotty. That's why I'm looking at this Straight Talk.
Boost Mobile runs on Sprint's iDen Nextel Network, not their CDMA 3G and 4G WiMax network that they advertise their new HTC EVO and the rest of their devices....Boost mobile's service is very good in Houston for a pre-paid provider - Most of their original Nextel subscribers have migrated over to the Sprint CDMA network or gone to AT&T for the iPhone or Verizon for the new Droid devices - so the Boost network isn't congested and has little or no data running over it - Boost/Nextel's network was originally designed for Law enforcement, Fire dept, DEA, and Government Agencies, When Sprint purchased Nextel in 2005 - they focused on their own CDMA network, so your getting a good deal at $50.00 for unlimited everything and with good service - My wife and I both have Blackberries with Sprint and we got our sons Nanny (Filipina) a Boost Mobile Phone when we brought her with us from California....her phone probably works better than ours most of the time, and she use it as much as she wants, and it only costs us $50- I say go for it.

Old 07-26-2010, 10:05 PM

46 posts, read 133,563 times
if i had to go prepaid, ill go virgin mobile. or even cricket right now. since supposedly cricket has nationwide coverage right now.

Old 07-26-2010, 10:22 PM

316 posts, read 784,245 times
Virgin Mobile is now owned by Sprint - here is a breakdown of the top-rated pre-paid carriers for 2010....remember some of them change their rate plans every few months.

Prepaid Cell Phones Review 2010 - TopTenREVIEWS

Old 07-27-2010, 08:39 AM

377 posts, read 1,345,666 times
That comparison is BEFORE virgin mobile announced their BeyondTalk plans in Last month.
I ported over to VirginMobile last month, for $25 a month , that gives you UNLIMITED web , UNLIMITED messages and 300 anytime minutes... (No night and weekends or mobile-to-mobile though)..If you talk more , sing up for $40 plan that gives you 1200 minutes.

If you use a data plan, better have an unlimited data plan..

I am using Vm for last 6 weeks and couldnt be happier..

Prepaid Cell Phone Service and Pay as You Go | Virgin Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphajet View Post
Virgin Mobile is now owned by Sprint - here is a breakdown of the top-rated pre-paid carriers for 2010....remember some of them change their rate plans every few months.

Prepaid Cell Phones Review 2010 - TopTenREVIEWS

Old 07-27-2010, 10:21 AM

3,106 posts, read 9,121,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphajet View Post
Boost Mobile runs on Sprint's iDen Nextel Network, not their CDMA 3G and 4G WiMax network that they advertise their new HTC EVO and the rest of their devices....Boost mobile's service is very good in Houston for a pre-paid provider - Most of their original Nextel subscribers have migrated over to the Sprint CDMA network or gone to AT&T for the iPhone or Verizon for the new Droid devices - so the Boost network isn't congested and has little or no data running over it - Boost/Nextel's network was originally designed for Law enforcement, Fire dept, DEA, and Government Agencies, When Sprint purchased Nextel in 2005 - they focused on their own CDMA network, so your getting a good deal at $50.00 for unlimited everything and with good service - My wife and I both have Blackberries with Sprint and we got our sons Nanny (Filipina) a Boost Mobile Phone when we brought her with us from California....her phone probably works better than ours most of the time, and she use it as much as she wants, and it only costs us $50- I say go for it.
I'm looking at 2 phones on Boost - one is iDen and the other is CDMA. What's the difference? I know that AT&T is GSM but unfamiliar with the other 2 choices. Unlikely to do any international travel in the next year or two so I'm not concerned about that aspect.

ETA: never mind. My cousin-in-law who is an electrical engineer/professor specializing in wireless communications in the Philippines & has been a visiting professor/lecturer at Berkeley, UCSD, etc...just replied to my email on the same subject. Lucky for me he used layman's terms. Crazy that we in the US are so far behind in wireless tech compared to Asia. Long before texting became mainstream here, my cousins there kept wanting to txt me but I had no idea what they were talking about.

Bozydeaux - thanks for the rec to that forum. Between all the CDMA, iden, HTC EVO, 0319:0F4A, PAM, etc...I was kind of lost. But it definitely has a lot of good info to sift through (I spent way too long on it last night).

wheretogo - I just read about VM's new plans on howardforums last night.

Last edited by Sampaguita; 07-27-2010 at 10:40 AM..

Old 07-27-2010, 11:16 AM

1,408 posts, read 4,052,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
I have T-mobile and pay $85 - but only because my Blackberry requires the $35 extra to get email, etc. which is important for me. My regular plan was $50 and included unlimited calls, including long distance, and unlimited texting. I have absolutely no complaints.

BTW, love your new tag line
I have the iphone on ATT with unlimited data and texting. It becomes quite expensive, but the internet is pretty much required for my line of work. I just feel paying over $100 a month is kind of expensive when compared to other carriers who do the same but charge less.

I use to hear bad things about the smaller carriers like Cricket and Boost, but I've also read lately that they've become better.

Old 07-27-2010, 04:15 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,191,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Love View Post
I have the iphone on ATT with unlimited data and texting. It becomes quite expensive, but the internet is pretty much required for my line of work. I just feel paying over $100 a month is kind of expensive when compared to other carriers who do the same but charge less.

I use to hear bad things about the smaller carriers like Cricket and Boost, but I've also read lately that they've become better.
I had the iphone but wound up giving it to my niece. The graphics are better than the Blackberry's - but the Blackberry seems better for business (at least, to me). How much are you paying?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston