Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2007, 05:35 PM

1,008 posts, read 4,030,305 times

Advertisements

What do you guys see as the similarities and differences between these two cities. Let's exclude the suburbs and just focus in on the "city life"??

I'm curious about cost of living?
Public Transportation?
Recreational activities?
Political climate?
Accessibility to everything within walking distance?
Weather?
Culture and large ethnic mix?

Just a general honest overview of both cities from your observation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2007, 05:56 PM

2,269 posts, read 7,344,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supernova7 View Post
What do you guys see as the similarities and differences between these two cities. Let's exclude the suburbs and just focus in on the "city life"??

Public Transportation?
Recreational activities?
Political climate?
Weather?

Just a general honest overview of both cities from your observation.
Disclaimer: I live in Austin and have only visited Houston (multiple times), but of course, I've also ready a bazillion threads regarding both. Anyway, here are my thoughts:

Quote:
I would have to say higher in Austin, hands down.

Quote:
Public Transportation?
Houston has some; Austin only has the bus.

Quote:
Recreational activities?
Totally depends on your idea of recreation. If you mean walking, biking, running, etc. I would have to say Austin. Town Lake downtown is the best.

Quote:
Political climate?
Can't speak for Houston here but Austin is basically known as the only blue part of Texas. People here aren't just liberal or conservative, they are just plain tolerant. Nobody cares about the label.

Quote:
Um, this is Texas. Not sure you'll find much of this anywhere. There are pockets of Austin's downtown that are accessible to a lot, but definitely not everything.

Quote:
Weather?
Austin is definitely less humid, but the temps get higher in the summer. Houston has more of a Florida-like climate with high humidity in the summer but usually not temperatures over 100.

Quote:
Houston hands down probably wins this one. Austin is definitely not as ethnically diverse but of course it is much smaller too. Plenty of culture to be found in both places; kind of depends on what you consider culture.

Personally, I don't think I would want to live in Houston, but like I said earlier, I have never lived there. Austin is an awesome place to live. The people are really cool and everyone is very accepting and tolerant. I do live very close to downtown and not in the burbs so I know I'm spoiled as far as walking to the bakery, etc. Honestly, I wouldn't want to live anywhere else.

Old 05-28-2007, 12:18 PM

Thank you, that was informative. Anyone else care to compare the two cities?
It sounds like Austin is more liberal and free with a better music/ent. scene for the single young crowd. However, Houston, has lower cost of living, much more culture and diversity. Also, job opportunitys sound a lot better in Houston.

Old 05-28-2007, 12:48 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,701,720 times
As with Portland, there's really no comparison. Austin has 656,000 people. Houston has 2 million in the city and 5 million or so in its metro. It just depends on what type of city you prefer. If you prefer diversity in race, class, thought, nightlife, arts, culture, things to do, etc. Houston is it. If you're an outdoorsy-type liberal and would prefer to live in a bubble, Austin is the place for you. There are other cities in Texas as well if you're just dead-set on coming here. Dallas would be more comparable to Houston than Austin. It also offers plenty of opportunities in universities and employment, and its metro is slightly bigger than ours at 6 million. You should really visit. Or at least order some travel guides or something and get a feel for what type of city you'd prefer.

Old 05-28-2007, 01:41 PM

Actually, I haven't heard one good thing about Dallas from anyone. In fact, even the people in Dallas are trying to move elsewhere. At least, according to the comments on the forums. I heard that Houston is far more liberal than Dallas. Dallas is supposed to be hardcore conservative/bible belt city. Many people have said that, so I hope Houston is very different "socially/politically than Dallas. That's important! Wherever you live you'd like to feel comfortable with the political atmosphere and know that you fit in.

I'm liberal but in no way shape or form wish to "live in a bubble" lol.
Republicans and liberals co-existing together is a great thing in my opinion. It's only bad when you have fanatics and oppressive laws in your state.
I think I would choose Houston over Austin in a heartbeat based on what has been said so far.

Old 05-28-2007, 03:17 PM

2,703 posts, read 3,428,110 times
Dallas is definitely more bible belt. There are way more churches here than in Houston, and they are all along the freeway.

Old 05-28-2007, 03:50 PM

I would never move to Dallas. Passed through a few times and felt like I was trapped in a "monster suburban mall." It's a city of huge buildings. Didn't feel any culture. However, I'm sure there are some who desire that kind of setting so it's good that everyone has a choice.

Old 05-28-2007, 04:17 PM

2,703 posts, read 3,428,110 times
I felt the same way... It doesn't feel like a city, but more like a region filled with many cities. I like Houston's feel better. It is one big city. In DFW, you go along on the freeway, and as you pass through the different cities, street signs are different (naming each city and having their own design), landscaping along the freeways start and stop, and city limit signs are everywhere.

Have you been to Houston?

Old 05-29-2007, 04:13 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,701,720 times
If you didn't like Dallas, you probably won't like Houston. Although Guerilla is right, Dallas feels more sprawled out because it's the DFW metroplex with tons of smaller cities and suburbs, Houston sprawls, too. I'm not sure how this fact escaped you in your research. How did you figure out Houston was where you wanted to live?

Old 05-29-2007, 09:43 AM

3,073 posts, read 11,588,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supernova7 View Post
Thank you, that was informative. Anyone else care to compare the two cities?
It sounds like Austin is more liberal and free with a better music/ent. scene for the single young crowd. However, Houston, has lower cost of living, much more culture and diversity. Also, job opportunitys sound a lot better in Houston.
I've always believed that if you'll find it in Austin, you'll find it in Houston...twice as big.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston