Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 08:42 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,288,470 times

Advertisements

Vietnamese - more prevalent in feel in Houston or Orlando?

Understandably Houston will have much larger numbers, but how about by the feeling of prevalence, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2009, 09:00 AM

1,668 posts, read 4,715,478 times
I hear Vietnamese spoken every time I'm in a big store in Houston. It's an easy language to recognize and I don't understand a single word of it! I feel (just my opinion) that Vietnamese is the largest Asian population in Houston.

(Off topic and not meant to be controversial, but why is this language so much LOUDER than other languages I hear around town? Is it the pitch they use in annunciating their words or something?)

Old 04-25-2009, 11:51 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,750,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzySWW View Post
(Off topic and not meant to be controversial, but why is this language so much LOUDER than other languages I hear around town? Is it the pitch they use in annunciating their words or something?)

The vowels are very tonal/musical if you could call it that. The pitches can be flat, go low to high, or high to low (and maybe other ways) depending on the word. If you've seen it written, all the different shaped accents above the vowels dictate how it sounds. I don't understand it either but it seems it would be a very difficult language to learn.

Old 04-25-2009, 12:14 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,575,584 times
There are more Vietnamese in Houston than Orlando, but the Vietnamese population still lags far behind the Los Angeles area.

Old 04-25-2009, 12:58 PM

3,085 posts, read 5,255,201 times
Can't beat the price they charge for haircuts. At all.

Old 04-25-2009, 01:04 PM

1,668 posts, read 4,715,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
The vowels are very tonal/musical if you could call it that. The pitches can be flat, go low to high, or high to low (and maybe other ways) depending on the word. If you've seen it written, all the different shaped accents above the vowels dictate how it sounds. I don't understand it either but it seems it would be a very difficult language to learn.
That sounds right to me. I hear a big contrast from syllable to syllable, much more than I can hear in any other language.

Old 04-25-2009, 02:48 PM

12,498 posts, read 27,050,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post

Understandably Houston will have much larger numbers, but how about by the feeling of prevalence, etc.
LOL Seriously?

Houston's Vietnamese population is larger than the entire state of Florida's. Vietnamese in Houston are involved in local government & have political clout. The community is enormous & spread out, yet still very integrated.

Last edited by Metro Matt; 04-25-2009 at 02:56 PM..

Old 04-25-2009, 03:14 PM

614 posts, read 1,240,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzySWW View Post
I hear Vietnamese spoken every time I'm in a big store in Houston. It's an easy language to recognize and I don't understand a single word of it! I feel (just my opinion) that Vietnamese is the largest Asian population in Houston.

LOL Thats so true. It's because each syllable within each word can have totally different pitches. From low to high and vice versa. I'm Vietnamese and I too believe that we're loud in general as well!

Old 04-25-2009, 03:17 PM

614 posts, read 1,240,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post

Definitely the Vietnamese community is more prevalent than that of Orlando. It's even getting bigger. Check out how far and how much Bellaire blvd has been extended with Viet businesses.

Old 04-25-2009, 07:51 PM

19 posts, read 123,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSykes View Post
Can't beat the price they charge for haircuts. At all.
King's Salon on Bellaire Blvd for the win! I've been going there going on 10 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston