Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 02:14 PM

635 posts, read 1,704,642 times

Advertisements

This happen to me during lunch time. I was pumping gas at Exxon and a italian shave head guy stopped next to me and asked me if I knew Italian/Spanish. Since I do know Spanish, he begin his spill with a italian/spanish accent. He was heading to Bush airport and he needed to get rid of new Armani jackets to avoid paying taxes on it. He showed me his passport and ticket of his flight to try to convince me. He also threw in that he had some italian store in the Galleria that he had to shut down and was leaving to Italy for good.

I am always skeptical about anybody trying to sell me something on the street so of course I told him that I wasn't interested. Just giving everybody here a heads up on this scam artist. It seems that this happens frequently in other parts of the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2010, 08:42 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,997,888 times
Thx for putting the info out there for people.

Old 11-15-2010, 09:00 PM

958 posts, read 2,573,859 times
I had some guy do the exact same thing about a month or two ago. Didn't think any of it.

I would never buy anything like that in the first place much less from a random person who tries to get me to buy something in a parking lot of a grocery store.

Old 11-15-2010, 09:15 PM

912 posts, read 2,556,971 times
A very old scam I've seen in parking lots in more than one country. It always seems to be leather jackets with people claiming to be Italian (more likely Albanian I reckon)

Usually the carpet bagger has been to a trade fair and been left over with some 'samples' which he needs to sell to avoid import duty or some such BS.

I've also seen hi-fi speakers being sold from vans with a variation of this scam.

Obviously what they're doing is either selling you a sealed package which doesn't contain the item they purport it to or some cheap tat of inferior quality.

Still it beats being sold an 'ipad/macbook' that turns out to be half a telephone directory in a cheap laptop bag.

If it's too good to be true it usually is and as predatorprey said surely only a moron would buy something from some sketchy guy in a parking lot?

Old 11-15-2010, 10:45 PM

739 posts, read 2,135,895 times
A friend of mines bought a flat screen tv from a guy in Walmart parking lot. The tv was in the original box, sealed. The guy had one tv open for diaply and was selling new ones out of a truck. Can't remember how much my friend paid for his flat screen lcd. However, when he got home and opened it, it was a box with a tv frame and bricks. HAhahahahahaha!

Old 11-15-2010, 10:58 PM

7,540 posts, read 11,573,598 times
I had the same thing happen to me these guys in a white van pulled up to me they opened the door & said do you want to buy these $1200 stereo speakers for $100. They said the place they were gonna take them to did not want them any more & there boss would kill them if they brought them back. I did not buy them at all the box was not even open I just walked away

Old 11-16-2010, 11:25 AM

1,408 posts, read 4,053,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdouglas View Post
A friend of mines bought a flat screen tv from a guy in Walmart parking lot. The tv was in the original box, sealed. The guy had one tv open for diaply and was selling new ones out of a truck. Can't remember how much my friend paid for his flat screen lcd. However, when he got home and opened it, it was a box with a tv frame and bricks. HAhahahahahaha!
Sad but funny.

Old 11-16-2010, 12:34 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,700,202 times
Quote:
Loose car stereo equipment (without the box) from someone's trunk is a better bet.

Old 11-16-2010, 02:40 PM

739 posts, read 2,135,895 times
Quote:
The real funny part is my friend contacted me because he wanted my advice on wheter or not he should contact the police and file a report.

Old 05-18-2012, 05:50 PM

1 posts, read 8,791 times
Default No Frills Parking Lot

Toronto Ontario Canada
Today at around 6 pm at "Pats No Frills" I was taking my Groceries in and like many other people on this forum I met MR BS! The long story of his trip back to Italy and how buying these jackets would really help him out due to high taxes. Be careful out there people! I almost bought in to his farce with the exemption of his flight times not matching up from the start of the conversation to the end. I got rid of him by simply stating the flaws in his story and told him i had already taken his licence plate number and was going to report him causing him to drive away rather quickly in his still running rental SUV. 6 jackets for 400 hah no way bozo. Hope someone reads this before paying the moron. If it seems to good it is!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: