Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is Greater Houston's REAL Culture?
Southern 5 17.24%
Southwestern 5 17.24%
Gulf Coast 19 65.52%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 09:41 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,783,641 times

Advertisements

OMG! KCOH 1430 A.M. is just like the Blues radio stations in Alabama! Houston is Southern! YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-24-2010, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M Bulldawg View Post
OMG! KCOH 1430 A.M. is just like the Blues radio stations in Alabama! Houston is Southern! YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I thought I was listening to a Blues station at home until I realized that this was Houston.

Old 11-24-2010, 02:02 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,551,374 times
Quote:
Not understanding though. Chicago also has a true down home blues station but it's not Southern. They also have a few Jazz stations.

Old 11-24-2010, 02:23 PM

Why does it seem like people don't want Houston to be Southern? Being Southern is an adventure that I'm proud of!

Old 11-24-2010, 03:56 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,053,483 times
Quote:
Why does it seem like people don't want Houston to be Southern? Being Southern is an adventure that I'm proud of!
Because it's not culturally Southern.

Houston is a big city, and a big city (in my opinion) cant afford to cling on to regional culture like that. You are either Cosmopolitan or you are a Regional Cultured City.

Houston has Southern qualities, but that is just one ingredient in the recipe which includes African American, Chinese, Indian, Korean, Scottish, Irish, Italian, and so on and so forth to make it Cosmopolitan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
Houston (much like Dallas and Texas in general) is at a crossroads of cultures. You cant really pin-point it to one culture. Houston is a cross of Gulf, Southern, and Hispanic. Dallas (and DFW) is a cross of Western, Great Plains, Southern, and Hispanic. Austin is a cross of Southwestern and Hispanic. San Antonio is...well just Hispanic.
I disagree with this. Sure Houston is on the Gulf Coast, and the Gulf Coast is distinctly a culture also, merchants who buy and sell fish, catch fish, a lot of that culture in fishing in other Gulf related activities even what food one near the Gulf can eat (sea food) determines the culture of a place.

Houston is far to large to be categorized as only Gulf Coast, Southern, Hispanic Culture. Me and several like me have none of those three in common, and we get placed under those three brackets? That's impossible, there is nothing in my life, my parents life, my neighbors life, or hardly anyone I know that leads a Southern, Gulf Coast, & Hispanic Lifestyle (except for my Hispanic friends).

Houston is Gulf Coastal in the areas that touch the coast, there are homes there where fishermen live, where vast amounts of sea food restaurants exist.

Houston's Eastern end is Southern, undeniably it is because that's just the last area to develop.

And Houston does have large swaths of Hispanic areas.

But honestly why is Houston (And Dallas or Austin) defined as a cross roads of only these three things? I'm Asian, there is nothing Southern, Gulf Coastal, or Hispanic about me. There are 360,000 other Asian people in this area, and they will agree with me.
There are transplants here from California, Illinois, and other places that will not have any culture resembling those three.

There are natives here who wont categorize with those three cultures.

Houston is Cosmopolitan, because its a large and diverse city, and in my opinion its nothing else besides that. Cosmopolitan is different cultures all brought into one, including the three you mention and everything immigrants and people of other regions can bring in.

Old 11-24-2010, 10:13 PM

4,380 posts, read 4,625,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNYY View Post
Because it's not culturally Southern.

Houston is a big city, and a big city (in my opinion) cant afford to cling on to regional culture like that. You are either Cosmopolitan or you are a Regional Cultured City.

Houston has Southern qualities, but that is just one ingredient in the recipe which includes African American, Chinese, Indian, Korean, Scottish, Irish, Italian, and so on and so forth to make it Cosmopolitan.

I disagree with this. Sure Houston is on the Gulf Coast, and the Gulf Coast is distinctly a culture also, merchants who buy and sell fish, catch fish, a lot of that culture in fishing in other Gulf related activities even what food one near the Gulf can eat (sea food) determines the culture of a place.

Houston is far to large to be categorized as only Gulf Coast, Southern, Hispanic Culture. Me and several like me have none of those three in common, and we get placed under those three brackets? That's impossible, there is nothing in my life, my parents life, my neighbors life, or hardly anyone I know that leads a Southern, Gulf Coast, & Hispanic Lifestyle (except for my Hispanic friends).

Houston is Gulf Coastal in the areas that touch the coast, there are homes there where fishermen live, where vast amounts of sea food restaurants exist.

Houston's Eastern end is Southern, undeniably it is because that's just the last area to develop.

And Houston does have large swaths of Hispanic areas.

But honestly why is Houston (And Dallas or Austin) defined as a cross roads of only these three things? I'm Asian, there is nothing Southern, Gulf Coastal, or Hispanic about me. There are 360,000 other Asian people in this area, and they will agree with me.
There are transplants here from California, Illinois, and other places that will not have any culture resembling those three.

There are natives here who wont categorize with those three cultures.

Houston is Cosmopolitan, because its a large and diverse city, and in my opinion its nothing else besides that. Cosmopolitan is different cultures all brought into one, including the three you mention and everything immigrants and people of other regions can bring in.
well the same can be said for any major metropolitain area located in the southern part of United States..Dallas/Houston/Atlanta/Charlotte/Miami... but I can agree with you

I guess cities who are dominate southern would probably smaller cities w/ a lack of transplants or other residents from different nations..

Old 11-24-2010, 10:46 PM

I forgot that Houston has a little Creole influence.

Old 11-24-2010, 11:29 PM

4,380 posts, read 4,625,432 times
Quote:
I forgot that Houston has a little Creole influence.
yep Houston/Beamount/Port Arthur all have more then a little creole influence..creole/Louisiana influence...

Old 11-25-2010, 12:22 AM

That's why Houston has so many beautiful black women.

Old 11-25-2010, 12:08 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,319,530 times
I apologize for not replying back sooner but to me, culture is something that most of the city's original residents have something in common. What is Houston's signature culture? Immigrants from all over the world doesn't give a city its culture, it gives it its great diversity and population growth. Houston is a southern city but I don't see a distinct attitude or culture from any of the born-and-raised-in-Houston residents other than "southern." And Houston has over 5 million people and has attracted people from all over the country; I've met more people that aren't from Houston versus people who have been here their entire lives.
Don't get me wrong, I love Houston and I'm thinking about living here after school but coming from Louisiana I don't see Houston having a typical southern culture or any other distinct culture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston