Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 11:10 AM

9,053 posts, read 17,193,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavMeAlone View Post
That is absolutely not true.

I don't recall the exact date, but it must have been mid-November. Some loony bin residents, also known as conservatives, were at Westheimer/Montrose holding up some signs. "God hates ****", "God hates Atheists", and a third saying something like "You all go to hell for your sins".
I almost had an accident that day, too. The sun was so bright, I just couldn't see much. And I almost ran them over Just accidentally, of course.
Then, let us not forget when they "protested" the opening of Planned Parenthood on 45. The abortion clinic. That's all they do. Trying to lure poor women into their facility to perform abortions 24/7. The infamous Houston massacre facility on 45. That's what the history books will call it. I think they even arrested some people for vandalizing. I also have some personal experiences where someone tried to "convert" me and end all my sins... for once and for all!
OK - well, maybe it's just me. I go all over the city and talk to a lot of people all of the time - and politics just seldomly come up. Every once in a while, someone will say something to the point that I can tell that they are either going to agree for the most part with my views - or very much disagree. If the agreement is there, I will talk with them concerning politics from time to time. If they disagree, we just don't go into any sort of conversation about it. About 97% of the time, no one ever says anything and I have no clue what they think concerning politics. I know I am not going to convert anyone and they aren't going to convert me, so why talk about it?

An in-your-face left winger is just as irritating as an in-your-face right winger.

As to a few crazies having protests, etc. - they don't constitute anything but a minority fringe and exist everywhere (or travel, like that nutty church).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2010, 11:43 AM

23,970 posts, read 15,069,127 times
Some people like chocolate and some vanilla.
The only time a political conversation bothered me was while getting a root canal. The dentist and his aid were into a conversation about something I totally disagreed with. Was captive and could not say I word.
The reading material in his waiting had always been a big tip off, so it was not a surprise. Mildly annoying though.

Old 12-14-2010, 12:25 PM
fnh

2,888 posts, read 3,911,163 times
Neapolitan is good.

SeattleBoy, you live in Belltown. Take the bus thirty minutes north, south, east or west (ahem, ferry) and you will find yourself with more like-minded people. :-)

Last edited by fnh; 12-14-2010 at 12:27 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 12-14-2010, 01:52 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,823,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleBoy98121 View Post
Why don't you move to Seattle. That way you could be surrounded by liberals everywhere you go. I am a Republican and would like to move to Houston so that I could actually be surrounded by some Republicans for once.
I lived in Seattle for about a decade. Too gray and drizzly for me. Days like today in Houston with this glorious sunshine in December are one of my top reasons that I like living here.

Old 12-14-2010, 02:03 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,193,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
The reading material in his waiting had always been a big tip off, so it was not a surprise.
Ha - for me, it's bumper stickers. Was sometimes surprised by those that had W stickers in 2003 - and others who had Obama stickers in 4 years later. Was really surprised by a long-time client that had a Secede sticker (after Perry made his speech). I had known her about 7 or 8 years and didn't have a clue til then.

Old 12-14-2010, 02:58 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,902,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavMeAlone View Post
That is absolutely not true.

I don't recall the exact date, but it must have been mid-November. Some loony bin residents, also known as conservatives, were at Westheimer/Montrose holding up some signs. "God hates ****", "God hates Atheists", and a third saying something like "You all go to hell for your sins".
I almost had an accident that day, too. The sun was so bright, I just couldn't see much. And I almost ran them over Just accidentally, of course.
Then, let us not forget when they "protested" the opening of Planned Parenthood on 45. The abortion clinic. That's all they do. Trying to lure poor women into their facility to perform abortions 24/7. The infamous Houston massacre facility on 45. That's what the history books will call it. I think they even arrested some people for vandalizing. I also have some personal experiences where someone tried to "convert" me and end all my sins... for once and for all!
That's not Houstonians, that was the Westboro Baptist Church loonies. They protest all over the place. They just protested at Elizabeth Edwards Funeral too.

Their homebase is Topeka, KS

Westboro Baptist Church - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Btw, the counterdemonstration that I like best is this one:

Pennies in Protest | Don't hate. Donate. LGBT and Jewish hate group counter-protest that turned hate into kindness
and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7Of_2ykZpQ

Old 12-14-2010, 03:15 PM

5 posts, read 19,812 times
Welcome, Liberal from Denver. There are over 30 houses for sale under $250,000 in the areas that you are considering. There are also over 33 townhomes available. Houston is a very diverse town. I am sure that you'll easily find your niche here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado to Texas View Post
I have lived in Denver for the past 13 years and am seriously considering a relo to Houston for many reasons but wanted to get some feedback from Houstonians-hopefully like minded liberal-moving toward centrist.

I was born in Louisiana and thrive in warmer more humid climate so that is one of the biggest reasons I am moving-it is simply uncomfortable for me climate wise on a fundamental physiological level.

Now this is what I would prefer in my new home city:
· Access to international community and culture
· A liberal well educated neighborhood/community so I can find friends and like-minded people
· A decent job market -I have a graduate degree and teach behavioral wellness programs in companies and hospitals
· Great museums, art galleries, diverse music scene-esp. blues and jazz
· Affordable townhome-180k to 225k for 3 bedroom in a safe neighborhood (maybe The Heights or Montrose?)
· Live close to a park for daily outdoor exercise -Memorial Park?
· A community where my beliefs will be respected and even supported-
o I know Texas is a major Republican state and has a significant evangelical Christian population as does the Houston metro area; I don't mind difference ( actually I love differences in people)-but I do mind being disrespected if I am NOT a Republican and don't go to church. I practice the philosophy of Buddhism and will be looking for Buddhist places to practice and build a community.

WEll, those are the major areas for now.

What do you honestly think? Thank you so much!!!!
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]

Old 12-20-2010, 05:38 PM

19 posts, read 50,358 times
Default Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayareahouston View Post
Welcome, Liberal from Denver. There are over 30 houses for sale under $250,000 in the areas that you are considering. There are also over 33 townhomes available. Houston is a very diverse town. I am sure that you'll easily find your niche here.

Thank you for your WELCOME! I am excited to move, feel the warm weather, tropical plants and international community and rain storms!!!!!

Peace and happiness to you,
Dianna

Old 12-21-2010, 08:23 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,049,746 times
There are a handful of "fixer upper" town homes in the upper kirby, montrose, museum district, heights areas that I have seen for under 225k. Like people are saying your choices are limited though. You can get a town home just outside the 610 loop for cheaper and still easily be within 10 miles of the city. For the price you may even get a home. Depends on what you want and how close you want to be. Many people rent town homes and duplexes in the area. I used to and rent was about $1,100 a couple of years ago. I'd do it again if I was younger and single.

Warm weather here is definitely key. You may have to acclimate to the summer time, but you get used to it. I now cannot travel outside of the state in the winter. Straight up refuse to leave the warmth.

Houston is the most diverse city in the country (bluh nycers). You will get plenty of international culture. Some have argued the overall experience and atmosphere of the museum/art scene here in Texas and Houston is better than any other place. Yes the MFAH/Menil etc isn't the MET, but better than any other place.

Apparently us in the south here aren't too smart. But, in Houston you will find many people relocated here later in life. Most people I know have college degrees if not graduate degrees. It is who your friend circle tends to be. If you are looking to live inside the loop in the areas you mentioned easily the average person you are likely to interact with will be well educated. They may still be a d*bag, but they will be a book smart one.

We have the largest hospital district in the country (this stat still current?). So if you do seminars in hospitals it may be good for you. Job market here is better than most and better than many places in Texas. Depends on your field and I don't know much about yours. You many want to seek more info on this.

The music scene isn't what it was or could be. Still plenty of local and regional music of just about all types. Houston used to be the #1 place for blues and jazz in the country. This was decades and decades and decades ago. Still some good history around this though.

I live in the area you are looking at and personally don't know any republicans. This area of town, esp. the specific area I live in, is vastly liberal minded. If you are not you are bound to get upset in a relatively short period of time. But Houston is very diverse. I see a few cars with republican bumper stickers running around. They can't be all bad if they are spending money around here =).

I personally don't know any church people, but that is definitely by choice (no haters!). There are definitely some VERY liberal churches in this area that have much of the gay community as members. They actually do some good work for people in need too so I respect that. You definitely won't get hated on not going to church or being in your Sunday bests.

There is a rather large buddhist community in houston, or so I have heard/been told. I have visited a few of the temples when they opened their doors. There is this one really cool awesome looking one somewhere. Yeah I really don't have any more information than that I went a long time ago. Keep your eyes open, speak to some people in the Buddhist and/or Asian community and you will get the info you need.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston