Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 06:39 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,843,296 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
You know the world is full of people - all with their own opinions - and people often rant about their opinions - doesn't mean they are all trying to convert you. Some just like to express themselves, some are looking for a debate and a few others probably are trying to convert you .... but that's just the human race in any state.
True.

This guy who ranted to my colleague was a Tea Party type who didn't seem like he was trying to convert her...he just assumed that she agreed with him. She was taken aback by how hateful he was in the things he said about people of other political leanings.

We all had a good laugh about how he was repairing her vehicle and she is the exact type of person he dislikes. She probably got better customer service by staying quiet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2010, 07:52 PM

108 posts, read 233,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
Google it. There is a TON of objective evidence that the needy are worse off in Texas than other states, but this isn't a research paper so I didn't include a bunch of citations. I wasn't specifically talking about veterans. I would say you just have to look at issues like the environment, food safety, and finance/banking to see what happens when too much government regulation is removed, but we should probably just agree to disagree before all our posts are removed from this thread!
I did google it. I couldn't find any specific evidence. It just seemed to be lots of anecdotes that could be anywhere. Also, a lot of the arguments seemed to be about a lack of government "focus" or "planning" but not actual data on the issue of homelessness. Also, you need to remember that it is actually government meddling in the economy that causes poverty.

Old 12-12-2010, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Univ_Texas_Alum_30 View Post
I did google it. I couldn't find any specific evidence. It just seemed to be lots of anecdotes that could be anywhere.
Are you kidding me?

Researchers: Texas worst in U.S. for homeless kids | Houston & Texas News | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/6301925.html - broken link)

Shame on us Texas is the worst state in the nation in providing food assistance to its hungry. | North America > United States from AllBusiness.com (http://www.allbusiness.com/society-social/social-welfare-food-food-stamps/13740305-1.html - broken link)

Texas holds line on spending under Perry, but poor suffer | Houston & Texas News | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle

The Best And Worst States For Health Care - Forbes.com

http://communityeconomics.tamu.edu/T...l_Spending.pdf

Recent Changes in Texas Welfare and Work, Child Care, and Child Welfare Systems

This was just the first few minutes of searching.

Old 12-12-2010, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Are you kidding me?

Researchers: Texas worst in U.S. for homeless kids | Houston & Texas News | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/6301925.html - broken link)

Shame on us Texas is the worst state in the nation in providing food assistance to its hungry. | North America > United States from AllBusiness.com (http://www.allbusiness.com/society-social/social-welfare-food-food-stamps/13740305-1.html - broken link)

Texas holds line on spending under Perry, but poor suffer | Houston & Texas News | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle

The Best And Worst States For Health Care - Forbes.com

http://communityeconomics.tamu.edu/T...l_Spending.pdf

Recent Changes in Texas Welfare and Work, Child Care, and Child Welfare Systems

This was just the first few minutes of searching.
And if you actually READ those articles, they all simply say to spend more money, ignoring that that is why businesses are evacuating California like Katrina just showed up on the West Coast and the levees are all run by the federal government.

Old 12-12-2010, 09:30 PM

Quote:
And if you actually READ those articles, they all simply say to spend more money, ignoring that that is why businesses are evacuating California like Katrina just showed up on the West Coast and the levees are all run by the federal government.
I read them...I just don't think abandoning the state's most vulnerable citizens is an impressive accomplishment. It is possible to be pro-business and have some compassion, too.

Old 12-12-2010, 09:46 PM

125 posts, read 312,805 times
Quote:
After reading 3 or 4 of the articles the theme I saw repeated was inefficient programs, lack of effective planning and an inability to use $$ properly. Not simply spend more. I am all for not needlessly throwing $$ at things. I do insist on effective use of resources we do commit. These articles paint an embarrassing picture and Texas can do much better.

Old 12-12-2010, 11:17 PM

24 posts, read 59,516 times
Lol @ people complaining about Fox News. You guys crack me up, can't even take the opposition's point of view.

If you don't like what a company is playing on their TV, either pull your britches up and take it or leave! All the "Fox News is the devil" talk is so 2008.

Old 12-12-2010, 11:29 PM

Quote:
I read them...I just don't think abandoning the state's most vulnerable citizens is an impressive accomplishment. It is possible to be pro-business and have some compassion, too.
So now you have abandoned the disengenuous argument that we aren't taking care of our veterans but you have stuck with your assertion that we aren't taking care of the less fortunate. But, you don't give any actual ideas of things we should be doing other than just throwing more money at the situation. Then, you ignore the fact that the throw more money at the problem attitude is why California is going bankrupt and you ignore that everyone is fleeing from the state that has adopted your approach. That's very persuasive.

No one is advocating abandoning anyone, but to simply tax and spend away the state's prosperity is not an answer.

Old 12-13-2010, 01:11 AM

40 posts, read 101,830 times
Quote:
Well instead of posting on a message board you could be starting up non-profits and raising money for those in need.

Old 12-13-2010, 05:12 AM

3,106 posts, read 9,134,695 times
Well, anyway...back to OP: I think you would do just fine here as far as your political views.

Last edited by Sampaguita; 12-13-2010 at 05:22 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston