Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2010, 01:43 PM

2 posts, read 4,498 times

Advertisements

Hi all!

My fiancee and I are moving from Boston to Houston for work probably just for the year, and are trying to figure out in which neighborhood / setting we should rent.

Our priorities are 1) Safety 2) Convenience (least travel times) and 3) Fun (things to do). In that order.

I'll be working around the Texas Orthopedic Hospital from like 7:45A to 5:30P and would like my commute to be no more than 30 min if possible (during rush hour I would assume). I am used to traffic, but Houston is a totally different type of city in terms of layout than Boston.

As far as living we are open to anything. Our budget is around $2000/mo, and we'll definitely be renting. We currently live in a high-rise, and would be fine continuing that, but also would considering townhouse type settings, low/med-rise apartments, or even renting a house. Like I said, safety is priority one, so both the neighborhood and the place have to be safe so I don't have to worry about my fiancee if she's home alone while I'm late at work. In reading up on this board (and I've done a lot of reading), it seems like many of the apartment complexes that are supposedly "nice" are in actuality not very safe, nor in fantastic neighborhoods (more like on the fringes).

So far I've liked the sound of Western University and the part of Bellaire inside the loop, but think more than likely I would have to rent a house there no? There don't seem to be any condo/townhouse complexes actually within these neighborhoods, just on the fringes. From what I've read, these areas have their own PDs and neighborhood patrols, and seem to be quite safe. I figure we'd find a place with a garage to avoid car break-ins (we'll have 2 cars). My only concern is with our budget, there don't seem to be a ton of places available to rent in these areas.

I've also considered living in Sugarland / Missouri City and commuting via 90 to work (seems to be the most direct route). Is that doable in 30 min during rush hour? Is there enough to do in Sugarland / Missouri City to keep a couple in their late-twenties occupied? We do not do the whole club scene anymore, but do enjoy a nice restaurant or fun bar from time to time, and actually really like taking walks / doing outdoor stuff (which may be tough in the Houston heat!) A place with close shopping (Target, etc) would be nice too.

We don't mind high-rise living now, but it seems like there isn't much high-rise stuff in Houston. Maybe in downtown, but is that a safe area?

If we rent a house, do I need to be worried about floods ruining our stuff during heavy rain / hurricanes? Obviously it won't be my place, but should I shoot for an upstairs or higher level place so my TV and furniture don't get ruined? It would seem to be a silly question to ask, but these "100-year" floods seem to be much more common around the US lately.

Any specific recommendations on Apartment or Condo complexes / exact areas in which to search would be most appreciated. Also opinions on neighborhoods within that magical 30-minute rush-hour window! I think our ideal setting would be to get a 2 bedroom townhouse with attached garage in a complex that has a pool and security that actually works (again, have read so much about all these apartment complexes that are havens for crime). Thanks in advance for your help, and sorry for the long post!

- Houston-bound (for a year at least anyway)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2010, 02:00 PM

834 posts, read 2,684,662 times
There is an apartment complex in Bellaire called Marquis at Bellaire 5454 Newcastle Dr. #101
Houston, TX 77081 (832) 239-9879, Apartments Houston Inner Loop - Marquis at Bellaire - Houston, TX 77081
A friend of mine lived there for about 3 years (that was 2 years ago). He didn't have problems with management or safety issues. At that time he was renting a 1 bedroom apt and I believe the rent was a bit over $1000 (paying extra for a dog). There is a website (I forget the name) that you can check out resident reviews - you may be able to get feedback from someone that lives there now or lived recently.

If you go for a house, Bellaire and West U will have rentals, but for that price range, it's possible the house may not be upgraded to our modern commodities to the fullest. If you rent a house, just get a renter's insurance which I believe is not expensive. I live in Bellaire and so far from my experience we're dry. Other neighbors that have lived her longer than 15 years say it's been fine. If anything you may need to worry about wind damage or tree branches in the event of a storm. If there are a lot of trees around your house, make sure your landlord gets a tree person to inspect for dry branches or branches that are too close to the house that can pose a threat.

Old 12-13-2010, 02:16 PM

2,628 posts, read 8,834,115 times
There are some nice hi-rises around there. The Parklane on Hermann for one. 5000 Montrose, the Beaconsfield is an old one downtown, but there might not be anything available.

Old 12-13-2010, 02:54 PM

83 posts, read 187,395 times
Reading between the lines on your post, I frankly think you would be the most happy staying inside the loop at one of the many multi-story (3-10 story) apartment complexes in a decent neighborhood. Some of these may be on the "fringes" but are still relatively new, nice, and safe.

Examples include the cluster of complexes very close to your work at the intersection of Kirby Dr and Braeswood Blvd. The Brays Bayou biking/running trail is right out the front door. If you get a second story or higher apartment your fear of flooding will be decreased. Lastly this is within a ten minute drive to most of the decent restaurants in Houston. Based on your price range, IMO this is the area that best meets your desires to include safety.

Other options to consider that may be what you are looking for are the highrises on Montrose south of 59 or the condo high-rise just north of rice village (opting for a side of the building facing away from the bar).

There are also highrises to the north and east of Hermann Park to include the Parklane that the previous poster mentioned, but I would not feel as comfortable safety-wise there as the other options I mention above.

Old 12-13-2010, 03:02 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,201,105 times
There are several individual townhomes or condos, with garages, for lease in that price range Inner Loop. Also mid-rises and hi-rises. Some are in nicer areas than others.

Old 12-13-2010, 03:15 PM

2 posts, read 4,498 times
Default quick replies!

Wow. Thanks for the replies. And so quickly!

Yeah, it's no so much a fear of flooding, as it is I've heard that in heavy rainstorms there are some areas of houston where even the streets flood. I'm assuming some of this sometimes makes it into houses. If not, please correct me. The flooding is kind of a minor issue.

Thanks for the specific suggestions, please, if anyone else has some, keep them coming. I've tried all the normal outlets such as HAR.com, and craiglist, and have been kind of dismayed at the lack of info and listings available there. Houston is a big city, there should be way more listings than I am finding. Specifically, all the craigslist ones are just relators / agents trying to get you to contact them. Whatever happened to craigslist being for the individual?

Are there any other areas where I can search for people looking to rent out their individual homes or condos?

As for homes, I definitely don't have to have the newest appliances, etc. I do want the place to be clean and comfortable, that's about it (although an attached garage is pretty high on the priority list too!). A pool would be a big plus in the heat too I'd think!

I notice no one has suggested the drive from Missouri City / Sugarland. I'm guessing the rush-hour commute on 90 will be more than my 30min wish?!?

Old 12-13-2010, 03:26 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,201,105 times
I just now checked out of curiosity - there are about 75 2 bedrooms under $2001 in the Inner Loop with a 2 car garage. Some are houses, some townhomes or condos, some mid or hi-rise. I would have to sit and go through them to peel off the ones that are in questionable areas, but after I did that, there would still be at least 30.

Your commute from Sugar Land would be really lucky at 30, if you were close to the freeway, the weather was good, etc. Inner Loop would be fun and allow you to see and do a lot of Houston things before the time here was up.

Old 12-13-2010, 04:35 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,844,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houston2011 View Post
So far I've liked the sound of Western University and the part of Bellaire inside the loop, but think more than likely I would have to rent a house there no? There don't seem to be any condo/townhouse complexes actually within these neighborhoods, just on the fringes. From what I've read, these areas have their own PDs and neighborhood patrols, and seem to be quite safe. I figure we'd find a place with a garage to avoid car break-ins (we'll have 2 cars). My only concern is with our budget, there don't seem to be a ton of places available to rent in these areas.

I've also considered living in Sugarland / Missouri City and commuting via 90 to work (seems to be the most direct route). Is that doable in 30 min during rush hour? Is there enough to do in Sugarland / Missouri City to keep a couple in their late-twenties occupied? We do not do the whole club scene anymore, but do enjoy a nice restaurant or fun bar from time to time, and actually really like taking walks / doing outdoor stuff (which may be tough in the Houston heat!) A place with close shopping (Target, etc) would be nice too.
Things to do as you mention - West U, Bellaire, Sugar Land, yes. Missouri City, not so much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by houston2011 View Post
I notice no one has suggested the drive from Missouri City / Sugarland. I'm guessing the rush-hour commute on 90 will be more than my 30min wish?!?
From Sugar Land to the Med Center is around 20-30 minutes without bad traffic. During rush hour, it will be more like 45 min, depending on where in Sugar Land. I'd avoid the places that are really far from Hwy 90 like Greatwood, Commonwealth, Riverstone etc. and concentrate on neighborhoods with easier access to Hwy 90. Most of the nice restaurants, bars are in/near Sugar Land Town Square (Hwy 6 @ Hwy 59.)

Old 12-14-2010, 10:32 AM

17 posts, read 47,305 times
Being from the Boston area myself, I would suggest living near Hermann Park. There are some nice apartments in the vacinity, including some high rise condos for lease. I think that is one of the few comparable areas to Boston that incorporates city living with parks and recreation, and is only a few miles from Texas Orthopedic Hospital
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston