Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2010, 09:13 PM

5 posts, read 8,895 times

Advertisements

I got a ticket about 2 months in October right before the red-light cameras were voted out. The case and even the posted video itself showed a false positive and my car had definitely stopped before making a turn on a right street.

Because of the BS of the camera and what I heard about the cameras being turned off, I decided not to pay. I just got a new notice that my fine has been raised to $100. Of course, the return address is in Ohio so it's clearly the company trying to muscle money out of me here even though the ticket was approved by some random Houston police officer.

My question is this: what should I do now? My preference is to not even pay it as the letter is full of BS and says I yielded my right to due process (yeah right) and thus have admitted guilt.

Is anyone else in the same situation? These cameras are such BS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2010, 09:21 PM

1,075 posts, read 2,917,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diogenes5 View Post
I got a ticket about 2 months in October right before the red-light cameras were voted out. The case and even the posted video itself showed a false positive and my car had definitely stopped before making a turn on a right street.

Because of the BS of the camera and what I heard about the cameras being turned off, I decided not to pay. I just got a new notice that my fine has been raised to $100. Of course, the return address is in Ohio so it's clearly the company trying to muscle money out of me here even though the ticket was approved by some random Houston police officer.

My question is this: what should I do now? My preference is to not even pay it as the letter is full of BS and says I yielded my right to due process (yeah right) and thus have admitted guilt.

Is anyone else in the same situation? These cameras are such BS.
It's a losing battle. You could hire the lawyers to fight it and win---or you could just pay the $100. It doesn't go on your license, insurance, or points.

I hate the damn things with a passion and I'm glad they're dead.

Old 12-25-2010, 08:56 AM

8,895 posts, read 20,002,567 times
I do think people were more reluctant to buzz through the yellow/red lights when we had the cameras. I work downtown and have noticed a big increase of 2-3 cars "making the light" now and crossing while I have the green. So you have to give it that "double-extra" care before being the first one out at the green light. It wasn't the people who went through a yellow and were edged into a ticket that were the problem - its those who think it is okay to "make" an obviously red light.

Old 12-26-2010, 08:26 AM

448 posts, read 702,617 times
it is an optional request for money, why pay an optional request with no penalty for not paying it to a corrupt corporation that made our streets less safe and is still fighting to throw out the election? BTW the language of the charter amendment says the COH shall not COLLECT anything from camera issued tickets, so if the suit goes the way it should all outstanding tickets will be uncollectable anyway.

Old 12-26-2010, 12:42 PM

66 posts, read 117,811 times
Send them a cease and desist letter.

Old 12-26-2010, 12:47 PM

8,895 posts, read 20,002,567 times
Wouldn't hurt to contact someone for a legal question only ... are people liable for the citations if they were issued before the cameras were voted out. Are they suspending the unpaid tickets or are you responsible for the ticket if the cameras were in force prior to the vote. I'm not sure how that works but would hurt to ask - better safe than sorry.

Old 12-26-2010, 01:27 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,929,122 times
A lawyer will charge you $100 easily, see if you can get a free consultation with one. Most likely just pay it or get a letter from the city saying youre cleared.

Old 12-26-2010, 08:53 PM

448 posts, read 702,617 times
Here is the ACTUAL charter amendment which was passed, notice it says the city shall not COLLECT any fines from camera tickets, send a copy of that in with your refusal to pay.

"The city of Houston shall not use photographic traffic signal enforcement systems to civilly, criminally, or administratively enforce any state law or city ordinance against the owner or operator of a vehicle operated in violation of a traffic control signal, specified by Section 544.007(d) of the Texas Transportation Code, nor shall it collect any money from any recipient of a notice of violation issued, in whole or in part, in connection with the use of a photographic traffic signal enforcement system," Proposition 3 stated.

Old 01-06-2011, 01:18 AM

Thanks for all the advice. I'll try both routes and update what happens so anyone else exploited by the cameras knows what works.

Old 01-23-2011, 12:29 PM

I have now been given notice by some San Antonio law firm to pay immediately or have a hold put on my vehicle renewal. I think this is absolute BS as not only were the cameras outlawed, I did not violate any law, clearly stopping and making a protected right at an intersection with no traffic.

The notice also repeats the same BS that I cannot appeal because I missed the due date to pay.

Spending $100 bucks of hard-earned money for something where I got no due process and was not in error is absolute BS.

Is there any other option?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: