Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 10:37 PM

10 posts, read 50,680 times

Advertisements

I'm fairly new to being a homeowner and was wondering if there is a policy pertaining to street parking? Generally, I wouldn't mind neighbors parking in the street, however, when it comes to intruding to me having a narrow area to leave my driveway- I think it would be more considerate of the neighbor to move their car. Especially, when they have room in their driveway to park their car. Isn't the policy that the vehicle must not be parked in the same area within 24hrs?

Of course, I'm going to go talk to the neighbors, however, if they are not cooperative, I just needed some backup. Thanks for your info!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2011, 10:54 PM

3,106 posts, read 9,123,516 times
You should be able to find this information under your HOA's deed & restrictions.

Ours is not more than 7 consecutive days.

Old 01-16-2011, 10:55 PM

912 posts, read 2,556,787 times
Doesn't sound like an HOA issue to me- although individual HOA's will have their own rules surely the way to proceed here is to talk to your neighbours person-to person if you have a problem and only go the 'rules' route if they blank you or are openly hostile. Save a lot of problems in the long run and establishes you as someone who's willing to talk but won't be messed with.
I had a problem with people in my area 'partying' including them running around nude bombed out of their skulls. I showed them the video next day and not surprisingly I've never heard a squeek out of them since............any repetition and it's going on youtube as I told them

Old 01-16-2011, 11:01 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,741,790 times
Municode - Search

Old 01-16-2011, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grunn View Post
Doesn't sound like an HOA issue to me- although individual HOA's will have their own rules surely the way to proceed here is to talk to your neighbours person-to person if you have a problem and only go the 'rules' route if they blank you or are openly hostile. Save a lot of problems in the long run and establishes you as someone who's willing to talk but won't be messed with.
Seems like it would only be a problem if the neighbors were actually violating a rule about the length of street parking hence a good idea to check out your HOA's deed & restrictions (which is where I just found our rules about street parking).

I don't know how well someone would react to a new neighbor approaching them & suggesting they should park in the driveway so that new neighbor's egress from driveway is easier.

Old 01-17-2011, 01:07 AM

867 posts, read 2,977,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampaguita View Post
You should be able to find this information under your HOA's deed & restrictions.

Ours is not more than 7 consecutive days.
Good luck enforcing that, though. I would imagine one could park their car in one spot and just after a day move it somewhere else and pretty much just keep going back and forth between two spots. My parents regularly have a car or two parked in front of their FC house, often times for weeks on end and there have been no issues aside from parking too away from the curb or too close to the stop-sign (15 feet? is it in Sugar Land).

I believe it's 48 hours in my parent's HOA in First Colony (don't quote me on that), but for the reason stated above, it's super difficult to enforce.

The last time my folks were ticketed for parking too close to a stop-sign was in the '90's. (They live on a corner lot)

Last edited by Alphalogica; 01-17-2011 at 01:18 AM..

Old 01-17-2011, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphalogica View Post
Good luck enforcing that, though. I would imagine one could park their car in one spot and just after a day move it somewhere else and pretty much just keep going back and forth between two spots. My parents regularly have a car or two parked in front of their FC house, often times for weeks on end and there have been no issues aside from parking too away from the curb or too close to the stop-sign (15 feet? is it in Sugar Land).

I believe it's 48 hours in my parent's HOA in First Colony (don't quote me on that), but for the reason stated above, it's super difficult to enforce.

The last time my folks were ticketed for parking too close to a stop-sign was in the '90's.
What I didn't write is that it includes driveways. DRIVEWAYS! I'd guess the only reason we're not in violation is because I don't park at the same exact spot on the drive way every time I pull in. LOL

The restrictions can only be enforced if a staff members reports the "violation". Haven't heard yet of anyone being in trouble for this here. I would imagine people are more up in arms over multiple vehicles or unsightly vehicles.

Old 01-17-2011, 01:14 AM

867 posts, read 2,977,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampaguita View Post
What I didn't write is that it includes driveways. DRIVEWAYS! I'd guess the only reason we're not in violation is because I don't park at the same exact spot on the drive way every time I pull in. LOL

The restrictions can only be enforced if a staff members reports the "violation". Haven't heard yet of anyone being in trouble for this here. I would imagine people are more up in arms over multiple vehicles or unsightly vehicles.
Gotcha. Clarified.

Old 01-17-2011, 05:12 AM

239 posts, read 638,981 times
Our HOA restricts overnight parking on the street, but that's it.

I personally like the rule a lot, as it has really played a big role in keeping our neighborhood nearly free of car break-ins, as compared to neighborhoods immediately adjacent to ours. The crooks know the pickings are much easier if they just go across the way where on-street parking is permitted overnight.

Old 01-17-2011, 06:37 AM

23,972 posts, read 15,075,178 times
Who owns the street? We had that problem. The deed restrictions say no street parking, but the county owns the streets. If the car is abandoned, no current sticker or license, they will take it. Otherwise one can park if they please and the HOA cannot do anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston