Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 05:49 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,053,483 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
What kind of Asian? Breakdown of countries?
Oh we wont know until probably November or so on the breakdown of ethnicity's. That's when they'll update their information and release demographics to the public.

But I will tell you this though, I always knew their 2009 Estimates for Houston were wrong, I knew it and I called it! And this just proves it, everything they updated in 2007 was screwed up and entirely off track.

You bet that you can expect to see Houston having more Chinese, Italians, Nigerians, Indians, Pakistani's, Bangladeshi's, Hondurans, Mexicans, Salvadorans, Brazilians, & other stuff.

Old 02-18-2011, 05:58 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,811,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNYY View Post
Oh we wont know until probably November or so on the breakdown of ethnicity's. That's when they'll update their information and release demographics to the public.

But I will tell you this though, I always knew their 2009 Estimates for Houston were wrong, I knew it and I called it! And this just proves it, everything they updated in 2007 was screwed up and entirely off track.

You bet that you can expect to see Houston having more Chinese, Italians, Nigerians, Indians, Pakistani's, Bangladeshi's, Hondurans, Mexicans, Salvadorans, Brazilians, & other stuff.
I always thought we had more Pakistanis then Indians in Houston and overall more Desi Muslims.

Old 02-18-2011, 06:08 PM

2,930 posts, read 5,272,792 times
Why isn't Sugarland growing? It used to be double the sizes of Pearland and The Woodlands back in 00. Now both TW and Pearland have both surpassed it. I wonder what the problem is?

Old 02-18-2011, 06:09 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,053,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
I always thought we had more Pakistanis then Indians in Houston and overall more Desi Muslims.
Yeah for sure, I can see that being the case too. I always thought it was more balanced about equal for both but I can definitely see the argument for either side.

It feels about balanced but I always knew their population felt larger than statistics always said it is. And I'm willing to bet the US Census will show just that. Hey, Houston Metropolitan Area has one of the 3 most diverse counties in the country and racially one of the 4 most diverse cities in the country.

Houston has a ton to be proud of. The US Census report is actually a very good one for Houston. The MSA & CSA got to where they were meant to be, Houston actually came out even more diverse than projections & estimates had it as. All very good things for sure.

Old 02-18-2011, 06:29 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,705,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhang Fei View Post
Interestingly enough, Houston grew 7.5% whereas Harris County grew 20.3%. This means that of Harris County's 690,581 increase in population, Houston got 146,473 people. Houston is about 33% of Harris County's land area, but only got just over 21% of its population increase.

It should be interesting to see if other* big cities also grew slower than than their surrounding suburbs. Note that in 2000, oil prices were in the $25/barrel range, compared to about $90/barrel today.
Interesting but not really surprising at all.

Old 02-18-2011, 06:45 PM

3,390 posts, read 4,951,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
Anyone got the numbers for the Houston area suburbs?

Chicago posters have just been bitter these past few days. At least our city grows and doesn't lose 200,000 people in a decade, if you want to go there...
And Houston is not corrupt like Chicago either. It may have some malcontents here and there but it's a fine city. Not corrupt like Dallas either. Of course I live in the good city of Fort Worth, the better side of the metromess.

Old 02-18-2011, 06:45 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,551,374 times
Quote:
Oh wow, Houston became more Asian than even the estimates & projections had it as being (6% on estimates & projections for 2009 & 2010).

Wow being a diversity fan myself and wanting to see all races balanced out and equally proportionate, this really makes me so happy that Houston & Houston Metropolitan Area are that much closer to 4 X 25%. Way to go for becoming more diverse with more Asians, African Americans, Caucasians, & Hispanics.
Yeah that jumped out to me as well. Over 400,000 Asians (easily the highest in the Southern US) and Houston's black population has now officially passed 1 million. I can't wait until I see the breakdown of the Asian population though. I know Houston has a high Chinese and Vietnamese population. But I'm interested how the other Asian demographics grew.

Old 02-18-2011, 06:48 PM

674 posts, read 1,538,944 times
Cool beans!

Old 02-18-2011, 06:56 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,958,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneclaw View Post
Why isn't Sugarland growing? It used to be double the sizes of Pearland and The Woodlands back in 00. Now both TW and Pearland have both surpassed it. I wonder what the problem is?
Sugar Land just hasn't annexed it's ETJ yet, which has had the most growth. The area still grew like hotcakes.

Old 02-18-2011, 06:58 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,811,078 times
I have lived in Alameda County also.

Quote:
Yeah for sure, I can see that being the case too. I always thought it was more balanced about equal for both but I can definitely see the argument for either side.

It feels about balanced but I always knew their population felt larger than statistics always said it is. And I'm willing to bet the US Census will show just that. Hey, Houston Metropolitan Area has one of the 3 most diverse counties in the country and racially one of the 4 most diverse cities in the country.

Houston has a ton to be proud of. The US Census report is actually a very good one for Houston. The MSA & CSA got to where they were meant to be, Houston actually came out even more diverse than projections & estimates had it as. All very good things for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston