Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 01:22 PM

83 posts, read 187,375 times

Advertisements

Here is the most recent examples:

Officials playing defense on transportation issues
Rush hour looms today after crowded trains, buses frustrate NCAA fans Saturday
Rush hour will put Metro's NCAA changes to test | Houston & Texas News | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle

Metro land buys point to less than a dream scenario
Metro land buys point to less than a dream scenario - Houston Community Newspapers: News: mcdade, todd mason, $41 million, $168 million, hakeem olajuwon

And for those of you that want the future METROrail lines to be built as planned, lets hear your rationalizations about how that will be managed better than past projects or existing operations...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2011, 03:51 PM

1,416 posts, read 4,439,525 times
In the grand scheme of things, any money Metro wastes is money that isn't available to fund other transportation initiatives. Metro is like any other political entity that is affected by city and county leadership, and that direction can change every few years. The people who survive aren't the ones who make waves, which can be unfortunate when novel thinking is needed to solve our problems. Hopefully Greanias, who has been a breath of fresh air (at least what has been reported publicly), will continue to put changes and controls in place that will survive the next administration's desire to undo everything and start all over...again.

I'm certainly not a Metro apologist, but I wouldn't really place all the blame on Metro for the Final Four problems. Too many people all leaving the same place at the same time, and it's no wonder there weren't problems. I'm trying to think of a city that could handle those crowds without overwhelming its infrastructure.

Old 04-04-2011, 04:03 PM

1,075 posts, read 2,917,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelguy_73 View Post
I'm trying to think of a city that could handle those crowds without overwhelming its infrastructure.
New York, Atlanta, Chicago, Los Angeles, Washington, DC, Dallas, Denver all deal with this size crowd regularly.

We went to the Sugar Bowl in New Orleans and had a cab pretty quickly.

I am a fan of the University of Arkansas and the Southeastern Conference. All of those small towns--Fayetteville, Baton Rouge, Tuscaloosa, Auburn, Athens, Knoxville, Columbia, Oxford, Starkville, Nashville (ok, Knoxville, Columbia, Baton Rouge and Nashville are small cities)--handle traffic from 80,000+ seat stadiums every Saturday in the fall. Most I've EVER waited to get out of one of those stadiums was 90 minutes.

Metro is a disgrace.

Old 04-04-2011, 04:27 PM

1,211 posts, read 3,558,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malvie View Post
New York, Atlanta, Chicago, Los Angeles, Washington, DC, Dallas, Denver all deal with this size crowd regularly.

I am a fan of the University of Arkansas and the Southeastern Conference. All of those small towns--Fayetteville, Baton Rouge, Tuscaloosa, Auburn, Athens, Knoxville, Columbia, Oxford, Starkville, Nashville (ok, Knoxville, Columbia, Baton Rouge and Nashville are small cities)--handle traffic from 80,000+ seat stadiums every Saturday in the fall. Most I've EVER waited to get out of one of those stadiums was 90 minutes.

Metro is a disgrace.
Malvie, if Arkansas has it figured out, how do you explain highway 7?

Old 04-04-2011, 04:30 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,563,119 times
I guarantee I'll get out of the stadium tonight in less time than that. I live about a 45-minute walk from the stadium, normal walking pace.

Yessir. Can't beat the gas mileage. I'll be moving faster than the cars.

Old 04-04-2011, 05:02 PM

958 posts, read 2,574,455 times
And we want them to build more rails? They're just any Mayor's political cronies.

Last edited by predatorprey; 04-04-2011 at 05:43 PM..

Old 04-04-2011, 05:08 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,563,119 times
Actually, part of the problem is there isn't enough rail.

For starters - we are not Fayetteville, Arkansas. This is a major city. Major cities have large crowds every day, not just on Saturday football gameday. Guess what's going on just north of Reliant? People are getting off work. Like they do any work day. There's more going on in the city than just the Final Four tonight.

So we have a lot of people. Rail is more efficient than buses to move large groups of people. Buses are better for moving smaller groups. Smaller groups is not what we have here tonight.

Just imagine if everyone on the trains tonight were driving in and out in their own cars, taking up parking at the stadium etc. You think it's a cluster**** now? It could be a lot worse.

Old 04-04-2011, 05:38 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,958,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malvie View Post

Metro is a disgrace.
They deal with Final Four crowds, all rushing after one big concert, to the same train stations? Couple that with normal, everyday big city life? I don't think so. NYC, Chicago, and DC are the only ones. Dallas (lol), Denver, and Atlanta don't.

Old 04-04-2011, 05:42 PM

1,075 posts, read 2,917,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCH99 View Post
Malvie, if Arkansas has it figured out, how do you explain highway 7?
7 is a "Scenic Highway". It's not supposed to be a "freeway". I can't help it if every bluehair in the universe wants a freeway to Branson.

Try I-540. Scenery AND 80 mph.

And 90 minutes after a game ends at Donald W. Reynolds Razorback Stadium (78,000 v. Reliant's 75,241 last night), you can drive anywhere you want around town at posted speeds. Just don't try to get into one of the good restaurants without a reservation...

Old 04-04-2011, 05:44 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,958,071 times
My experience on Saturday, leaving the Big Dance, wasn't bad. The trains were just crowded. Everyone just pretty much followed where the big crowds were going. Not sure how it was after the game, and city taxi drivers messed up by not being there at curbside afterwards. They should do a better job today, but rush hour is going to make it more tough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: