Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 08:39 PM

2,465 posts, read 5,793,637 times

Advertisements

Thanks for taking the time to describe how his works. This is a brand new neighborhood with 50 houses so we may be able to take it with HOA and maybe get some private service....

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb4browns View Post
Not sure how it works in FB, but in Harris County the constable dept. serves a number of functions that the HPD may or may not handle in a given part of the city (process serving, traffic control, etc.) The Constable dept. also contracts out to HOA's providing contract patrol. So for example in my neighborhood, we have an almost constant law enforcement presence by at least one constable, paid for out of our HOA dues. They are sworn peace officers, so they are better than private armed security because they can do traffic stops, etc. Because the residents of my HOA are truly the "customer" of the Constable, they are very service oriented. It's a level of local policing that the HPD just can't provide. And since we are paying for the services through an HOA dues funded contract, there is never any charge for things like alarm calls, vacation watch, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2011, 09:13 PM

958 posts, read 2,574,455 times
I've seen fort bend sheriffs units respond in minutes in force for emergency situations. Like someone said they prioritize calls.

I worked IT for many years and the #1 help request are password resets. I would imagine for police departments it would be responding to false alarms or potential ones.

Old 05-03-2011, 10:56 PM

724 posts, read 1,685,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rb4browns View Post
That being said, there really is no way for a PD to guarantee response times. It's a factor of prioritized calls, efficiency of the department, available resources, etc.
LOL. Come on man, just admit that a 50 minute response time is bad. You don't have to be an apologist every time. But, you're right, we do have to take account of available resources, like the amount of donuts to be consumed before going on a call. HAHA.

Old 05-04-2011, 04:38 AM

23,986 posts, read 15,086,618 times
When our alarm went off the company called HCSO. They came out 5 hours later. My next door neighbor's alarm went off, she was out of town. She called me immediately, could not have been more than 1 minutes after the alarm co. notified her. The Constable''s car was already in front of her house. Harris County has a different sheriff now so it may be different. Everybody I know prefers the Constable for patrolling subdivisions.

Old 05-04-2011, 05:25 AM

1,632 posts, read 3,327,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
When our alarm went off the company called HCSO. They came out 5 hours later. My next door neighbor's alarm went off, she was out of town. She called me immediately, could not have been more than 1 minutes after the alarm co. notified her. The Constable''s car was already in front of her house. Harris County has a different sheriff now so it may be different. Everybody I know prefers the Constable for patrolling subdivisions.
If you have constables in your subdivision, do they automatically come over when you call 911, or is there a direct line to them?

Old 05-04-2011, 07:22 AM

2,783 posts, read 6,676,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEconomist View Post
LOL. Come on man, just admit that a 50 minute response time is bad. You don't have to be an apologist every time. But, you're right, we do have to take account of available resources, like the amount of donuts to be consumed before going on a call. HAHA.
Here we go again. Turn off the computer, go take your meds and ask the nurse to take you for a walk outside. It's a beautiful, sunny day and you could use the fresh air.

Old 05-04-2011, 08:21 AM

We are not directly wired to police and fire like in Dallas. Our alarm company has to call the law. Some call the sheriff, some call the constable. I guess the customer decides which they want called.
I called 911 when DH had a stroke and fell 12 feet off of a ladder and broke a bunch of bones. The sheriffs came along with the EMT's.

Old 05-04-2011, 10:58 AM

344 posts, read 1,187,450 times
Most of the alarm companies use commercials that have imagery that makes it look like your burglar alarm going off is the most important thing in the world to everyone concerned. It only goes off when some bad guy is breaking in to threaten your family, the alarm always scares him away, and the cops are there in seconds.

The reality is that around 97-99% of police responses to burglar alarm calls are found to be false alarms. A report that came out a few years ago showed that many Texas police departments reported that the highest percentage of their calls for service were responding to false alarms.

Many police departments across the country require registration fees for alarm systems, and/or fine owners of systems that repeatedly send false alerts - all in an effort to reduce false alarms and defray some of the costs in wasted time. (Houston PD loses more than $9 Million / year in responding to false alarms).

If a human being calls and says, "I see somebody breaking in right now", you will get a rapid response. But nobody is getting excited about another lying alarm system.

Old 05-04-2011, 11:36 AM

Thanks DrLizardo. Makes perfect sense. Long time ago, there was a $100 charge for a response to a false alarm.

Old 07-04-2011, 09:30 AM

2,465 posts, read 5,793,637 times
And to make matters worse in terms of credibility, before heading out of the country for almost a month in vacation I subscribed for the SLPD House Watch program (see link). After carefully reviewing my CCTV footage I never seen one SLPD Officer, but once patrolling my house. Way to go SLPD...you sure got my trust now...

Sugar Land Police Department - House Watch Information and Online Registration (http://www.sugarlandtx.gov/police/services/programs/house_watch.asp - broken link)

Last edited by ethanw; 07-04-2011 at 09:42 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston