Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2007, 07:16 PM

18 posts, read 132,855 times

Advertisements

Hello all. We are on the fence about moving to Cypress (Bridgelands/Cypress Creek Lakes area). We like most things about it (schools, shopping, reputation, and low crime). I understand 290 can be bad, but I'm used to a long commute. Our real question is: what is your view on the future of Cypress? More specifically, will it develop to the point of it being like a Sugarland or a Woodlands, for example, and how do you think housing appreciation for today's new homes will be affected? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2007, 08:05 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,549,686 times
I wish they'd run the train (as in commuter rail) that would give you an alternative to the metal and concrete moshpit on 290. They were supposed to do that for Sugar Land and the northwest side but Tom DeLay had to go on his little ninja PAC sortie and kill it all. That's why we have a Westpark(inglot) Tollway instead.

Traffic-related complaining aside, it seems as nice as Sugar Land and The Woodlands to me (and the traffic isn't really all that worse). You still have some older developments with houses that have some character. Not everything is a McMansion and it isn't entirely a subdivision city. I'm not much of a suburbs guy (I'm still young; it's kinda boring out there) but I really can't stand places like that.

It looks pretty built-up around there these days, and that's a good thing, because more people building in that direction and still driving into the city every morning is the reason why 290 is so slow to start with. Anything you find that is not in an incorporated area will lack a municipal property tax, so you might find a good deal in that regard.

There is a thread on here with the new TEA rankings - you can look up Cy-Fair's schools there. Generally it is a good district.

Old 08-04-2007, 09:45 PM

2,628 posts, read 8,830,855 times
I am really not understanding what point it is you think Sugarland and the Woodlands have gotten to that Cypress would have to grow significantly to match. Could you be more specific? The Woodlands is a master planned community and will always have a little bit of an advantage, IMO, due to the broader land use controls where they won't be able to overbuild apartments, sign restrictions, etc. They are all prosperous suburbs, but I don't see Sugarland being all head and shoulders above Cypress or anything though.

As for appreciation, the downside is there is still a lot of open land for development and resale homes will continue to compete with new homes for a very long time. Despite the strong draw of good schools, low crime, trees, so on and so forth, appreciation should be steady but I wouldn't expect some sort of big dramatic price appreciation gravy train.

Old 08-04-2007, 09:48 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,549,686 times
The Woodlands is too built up and crowded IMO...speaking as an outsider who goes up there occasionally for concerts at Cynthia Woods or whatever. I remember it being much quieter and nicer when I was young.

Old 08-04-2007, 10:19 PM

1,336 posts, read 6,444,743 times
Demographically speaking. Cypress is every bit as affluent as the aforementioned places. The Avg HH income for a 3-mile radius where I live is $137K. Most of Cypress is over $100K Avg HH income. Cypress may not benefit from having a marketing arm like the Woodlands Operating Company that runs ads in the paper every week or the City of Sugar Land...but it doesn't really need it. The Woodlands is very nice, but has taken 30 years to build some 25,000 homes. Much of what has been built that is upscale has occured recently and they've done a great job with it. On the other hand, It took 5 years to build and sell 25,000 homes in Cypress. It's a much larger area. It's also relatively new, with most development occuring after the mid-1990's. There are several hundred thousand people in the Cypress area, more than either of the other two other areas. One need no more evidence than to look at how many high schools are being built here. CFISD has an estimated 700,000 people living within its boundaries (and they've got 40% of the district left to buildout). By itself, it would be one of the largest cities in Texas, so if you're wondering whether its popular....well, the numbers speak for themselves.

Despite the horrendous traffic, people continue to move out to Cypress in droves. The school district continues to grow at a rate of roughly 5,000-7,000 students/year and currently has about 100,000 students. There are plans for a major freeway expansion as well as a new tollroad and Houston's first Commuter rail line along Hwy 290. They need to speed this project up to yesterday, IMO.

Longwood in North Cypress

Rock Creek in North Cypress

Northlake Forest in North Cypress

Coles Crossing in North Cypress

The great thing about Cypress is that it offers just about everything. If you like wooded neighborhoods, they've got awesome neighborhoods on the North side of 290. If you like open ranch/lake neighborhoods like you find in Katy and Sugar Land, they've got that on the South side of 290. Again, it's a huge area. Growth has occured so quickly out here, the good retail has not kept up with it. However, it's coming. A number of big developments have been announced and more are on the way with big retail, restaurant, office developments planned in Towne Lake, Bridgeland and Fairfield among others. Most of what is being built out here is upscale. Just about everything off Fry Rd. starts at a quarter million dollars. Again, you can find all kinds of great neighborhoods around here.

Lismore Lake in North Cypress

Bridgeland Recreation area in South Cypress

Bridgeland

Our High School Football Stadium (finest in the country)

The Berry Center Stadium is CFISD's 2nd Double Decker football stadium (the other is Pridgeon)

CFISD's new Berry Center Arena

Cypress Creek Lakes in South Cypress

Blackhorse Ranch in South Cypress

The great thing about the Houston area is that there are great suburbs in nearly every direction. Each with its own slightly different character. There are really great neighborhoods inside the loop as well. Personally I'm partial to: Cypress, Champions, Klein, The Woodlands, Memorial and West U areas. Pick which one works best for you as far as your commute goes and go with it.

Feel free to check out my Cypress photos (151 of them) if you'd like a feel for the area neighborhoods

Last edited by Mr. Football; 08-04-2007 at 11:43 PM..

Old 08-05-2007, 01:10 AM

30 posts, read 179,548 times
From what i have heard/understand.. Bridgeland is supposed to be a master-planned community like the Woodlands once it is completely built-out (many years down the road)... others in the forum may have more details on that..

Old 08-05-2007, 06:56 AM

21 posts, read 152,806 times
Default 290

You may want to talk to TX.DOT as to what will be happening out this way (290) in regards to the toll roads. Seems some people will be loosing their homes. At a meeting a few weeks ago it was SRO and people were not happy.
The HOV as we know it on 290 will be changed as it is on Katy Freeway. A car will have to have at least 3 in a car to avoid tolls. 2 passangers will not do it. Citizens wondered why they are not putting rails in to downtown. Seems like a good idea to me. I guess makes too much sense and not lucrative enough for tx.dot.

Old 08-20-2007, 05:50 PM

4 posts, read 56,164 times
my290.com has the info on the 290 expansion plus grand parkway will be up to 290 in 2009

Old 08-21-2007, 07:03 AM

48 posts, read 267,534 times
Good grief, would ya look at that football stadium! I bet folks out there like to go visit the footbal shrine about the time those property taxes are due, LOL.

I propose this as the new Dymano facility! Hell, send UH football out there too and get busy dynamiting Robertson Stadium.

Old 08-21-2007, 07:40 AM

15 posts, read 91,085 times
Are there any lots available in Bridgeland with water views? What about the new Towne Lake, how far along is it? They both sound so nice I love all the pics Mr. Football.

We are thinking of moving to The Woodlands. With all the post I surely will be going to Cypress to check it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston