Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 07:45 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,705,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texascrude View Post
Do people generally board up their windows, or is that just for tornadoes?

Some put the boards up. You can get them custom cut and then get those clips on them so you can easily slide them in or out. Or have studs built around the windows so all you do is slide them on.

Also I think Sugar Land was actually around 80 MPH for sustained winds for several hours. I evacuated here and went there, and it sounded like freight trains running through all night. During gusts the entire house (4 side brick) would creak a little, and the gusts would punch pinholes in the weatherstripping causing a very distinct whistling that brought back memories from Hurricane Alicia when I was 5.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2011, 07:55 PM

3,702 posts, read 18,216,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texascrude View Post
Do people generally board up their windows, or is that just for tornadoes?
Tornadoes don't give you time to board up. Yes you board up for hurricanes.
So you should have some fitted plywood and plylox (clips that hold it in). Plylox don't work on my house so I have fitted bolts and pre-drilled plywood. You should also have a way of bracing your garage door as garage doors are the biggest point of failure during a cane with very strong winds(attached garages). Bill Read gave a good talk about this and Hurricane Andrew at a hurricane workshop several years ago.

Old 06-08-2011, 07:59 PM

Location: Where nothing ever grows. No rain or rivers flow, Texas
1,085 posts, read 1,581,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testmo View Post
where i was gas stations were closed for days and when they opened their were physical altercations over the gas ration. i wouldnt waste my gas on AC and radio when i can hand crank it (although i have a hybrid so technically the radio and ac wouldnt be burning gas =). if i needed to hit the road i'd have a full tank
I have 4 cars, one runs on regular. Its a van we had camping gear + baby stuff in it so it was great in the afternoons or when I'm supplying power to the house.once the storm passes it won't be difficult to find a motel nearby or a friend/family if things aren't looking good with the power. I don't know what else people worry about

Old 06-08-2011, 10:05 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,220,926 times
I just pack up some stuff [clothes,electronics,etc] and hit the road.

Old 06-09-2011, 08:49 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,921,959 times
1. Take important papers in plastic ziplock bags - passports, insurance policies, health insurance cards, bank account identifying information, etc.

2. Have a good flashlight with fresh batteries close by.

3. Have a least one gallon of bottled water per day for each person. They say you should plan for at least 3 days, but I tend to do a week. Bottled water is pretty easy to find if you do it before the hurricane is coming.

4. Have a battery powered or hand-cranked radio with extra batteries. A NOAA weather radio with a tone alert can't hurt either.

5. Have non-perishable food for at least 3 days. I plan for at least a week with these as well. Have a can opener for the canned goods.

6. We have pagers and batteries so that we can caravan out and keep in touch. Cell phones may be unreliable if power is out.

7. Have a wrench or pliers to turn off utilities with.

8. Have a first aid kit including
Two pairs of Latex, or other sterile gloves (if you are allergic to Latex).
Sterile dressings to stop bleeding.
Cleansing agent/soap and antibiotic towelettes to disinfect.
Antibiotic ointment to prevent infection.
Burn ointment to prevent infection.
Adhesive bandages in a variety of sizes.
Eye wash solution to flush the eyes or as general decontaminant.
Thermometer
Prescription medications you take every day such as insulin, heart medicine and asthma inhalers.
You should periodically rotate medicines to account for expiration dates.
Prescribed medical supplies such as glucose and blood pressure monitoring equipment and supplies.
scissors
tweezers
petroleum jelly
antacid
pain relievers (acetominophen, aspirin, ibuprofen - maybe one of each)

9. Have cash and/or travelers checks along with your credit card and atm card.

Old 06-09-2011, 09:13 AM

Location: Where nothing ever grows. No rain or rivers flow, Texas
1,085 posts, read 1,581,615 times
dont forget to update your facebook status. oh wait, you guys are still stuck in 1970
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston