Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 03:54 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,705,196 times

Advertisements

I've spent a lot of time in the Golden Triangle and one of its few redeeming qualities is that they can churn out some excellent boudain links, namely @ Nick's on 39th Street in Port Arthur.

My BIL (aspiring chef, from NOLA) kinda rips on our Louisana food scene, and I honestly haven't had any boudain here worth mentioning (some downright nasty), but I'd be willing to venture to any part of the Houston area in search of some of this stuff. I'm just looking for the regular pork boudain here in the "real" casings, nothing exotic, no blood sausage, nothing pre-packaged.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2011, 05:29 AM

739 posts, read 2,136,288 times
Try Galvans on Highway 90 in Richmond. It's a hole-in-the-wall type place a few blocks away from SugarLand. Best boudain I have had and I'm from the Big Easy!

Old 07-16-2011, 05:29 AM

1,339 posts, read 2,603,690 times
Burt's on Lyons Avenue or Jim's Supermarket on Yellowstone Boulevard. Burt's is the very best though! You can take that to the bank!

Old 07-17-2011, 06:44 AM

3,333 posts, read 9,175,701 times
Hebert's. End of story.

Just sayin'...

Ron

Old 07-17-2011, 06:48 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,929,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
I've spent a lot of time in the Golden Triangle and one of its few redeeming qualities is that they can churn out some excellent boudain links, namely @ Nick's on 39th Street in Port Arthur.

My BIL (aspiring chef, from NOLA) kinda rips on our Louisana food scene, and I honestly haven't had any boudain here worth mentioning (some downright nasty), but I'd be willing to venture to any part of the Houston area in search of some of this stuff. I'm just looking for the regular pork boudain here in the "real" casings, nothing exotic, no blood sausage, nothing pre-packaged.

Thanks.
Is that the Cajun market...they had good food. Used to work 'down the block'.

Old 07-17-2011, 06:55 AM

1,192 posts, read 3,483,767 times
This isn't very specific but the area is so sparse you should be able to find it. They've got boudain and other Cajun treats and smoked meats at a little convenience store (non-chain)/ meat store on Alemeda Road south of the 'dome and 610 loop (approximately where Alemeda intersects Reed Road maybe 5-7 miles south of the loop).

Old 07-17-2011, 08:12 AM

3,283 posts, read 6,052,923 times
do you go to the chowhound website? they have food forums for every major city. in the houston forum they have this exact questions

dont know if the answers are good. didnt bother reading Boudin in Houston - for you Jaymes - Houston - Chowhound

Old 07-18-2011, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
Is that the Cajun market...they had good food. Used to work 'down the block'.
Don't think so... this is a little old grocery store that's about as big as a new suburban convenience store. Then add a butcher counter in the back that has boudain, sausages and other meats.

To everyone, thanks for the suggestions. I'll print out this thread so I can make some stops whenever I'm in these areas.

Old 07-19-2011, 10:08 AM

112 posts, read 432,692 times
Where can I find good crawfish boudain in Houston?

Old 10-25-2012, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberAzeneth View Post
Burt's on Lyons Avenue or Jim's Supermarket on Yellowstone Boulevard. Burt's is the very best though! You can take that to the bank!
Time to revive my old thread.

While Burt's was very fresh and tasted good, it didn't compare at all to Nick's in Port Arthur. The regular pork boudain was downright bland. The "hot" variety was a little better. Each had a hint of Mexican spices in it as well. Also being on the border of the 5th ward and Denver Harbor might be a little too much for most ''inner loopers.''

It's coming around full-circle why I was never all that much into "Cajun" being a Houstonian since I was 2 yrs old... And then I spent nearly 4 years in the Golden Triangle. To me it's like going to Dallas for Mexican food. While it's good enough, I have yet to eat something that makes me say "damn that's good" like I can get here, SA & the RGV.

I will try Jim's on Yellowstone next and report back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston