Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2017, 04:38 PM

4 posts, read 3,872 times

Advertisements

So planning to move to Houston next month. I haven't been able to find any information online about my biggest question, is it easy to find a place to park your car?

I'm looking for work in Civil Engineering out there. Say I get a job at a firm, will they have parking for me or will I have to pay to park for the day nearby or God forbid even take an uber to work everyday? I also like to go out a lot but don't want to break the bank on nights out. If I'm not riding with a friend or able to bike, I just stay sober and drive. In the various nightlife districts, what is parking like? In my current city parking is free downtown after 7pm, do they have something similar there?

Even more than housing costs, I feel that this factor determines whether or not a city is affordable. If you're spending $1000/month on cab rides you might as well withdraw your entire bank account into a big bag of cash, poke a hole in it and drag it around with you everywhere you go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2017, 04:56 PM

11,103 posts, read 7,164,275 times
Just as driving vehicles is necessary, so is parking. The two go together. Other than some restaurants and clubs in high-density areas, no other instances come to mind where there wouldn't be parking available. And even the high-density places have places to park, it's just more likely to be a parking garage or a lot after the area workers have gone home.

You could always do a Google Maps look at where you might work. Switch to aerial view, zoom in, and you should be able the parking for the company/business.

You really have no need to worry about parking here unless it's some weird setup or situation.

Old 10-09-2017, 06:30 PM

4 posts, read 3,872 times
Ah perfect, thanks for the quick reply! If anyone has advice for how to find cheap, flexible housing (I'm ideally looking for a month to month situation until I find out what part of the city I'll find work in.) or what areas would be good to initially move to, I would really appreciate it as well!

Old 10-09-2017, 06:32 PM

61,734 posts, read 87,147,355 times
Yes, Houston has lots of roads and lots of parking lots/garages...

Old 10-09-2017, 06:33 PM

61,734 posts, read 87,147,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Instrumental Asylum View Post
Ah perfect, thanks for the quick reply! If anyone has advice for how to find cheap, flexible housing (I'm ideally looking for a month to month situation until I find out what part of the city I'll find work in.) or what areas would be good to initially move to, I would really appreciate it as well!
Houston is HUGE - so, depends where you will work...

Cheap month to month? Perhaps weekly hotels?

Old 10-10-2017, 09:12 AM

8,895 posts, read 20,002,567 times
Varies by employer and location. Some provide free parking and others do not. If you working in the downtown area, you will likely pay for your own parking.

Old 10-10-2017, 11:07 AM

1,483 posts, read 1,726,460 times
The parking here is pretty easy to find and pretty cheap in comparison to other major cities I've been to.

Old 10-15-2017, 09:42 AM

6 posts, read 4,365 times
I'm wondering how is Houston's traffic and parking compared to NYC's?

Old 10-15-2017, 12:57 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,838,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meGOoutWEST View Post
Unless you're in the heart of downtown, there's really no comparison - NYC routinely uses 2 drivers on their UPS trucks so one can circle while the other does the deliveries, for example. Many NY'ers don't even have a drivers license, much less a vehicle - the exact opposite is the case for Houston.

Old 10-15-2017, 01:12 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,201,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meGOoutWEST View Post
Having visited NYC many times, I can tell you that there is no way I would own a car there. Too much trouble.

In Houston, there is no way I wouldn't own a car.

Traffic is fairly heavy throughout Houston, but except for rush hours and notable areas, not as jammed up as NYC. Less honking here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: