Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 07:56 PM
NTT

723 posts, read 1,833,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
It's a bad marketing ploy - it doesn't even work - yet there are still agents that try this.

It's not just the listing agent that gets the calls. Here is a written version of a real call:

Me: Hello?
Person: I need to buy a house and I have no down payment and bad credit. Can you help me?
Me: Not yet. Here is the number and name of a lender who can help you clean up your credit at no charge - and you need to start saving for a 3.5% down payment.

Two weeks later:
Person: It's me again. I am ready to buy a house.
Me: You couldn't possibly have cleaned up your credit and saved that much so fast.
Person: I don't need to clean it and I don't need to save. I found a listing for $1.
Me: Sigh
LOL, that's a funny . Guess people don't realize that if something looks too good to be true, it probably is!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2011, 10:18 AM

1,326 posts, read 3,452,172 times
Quote:
it's a bad marketing ploy - it doesn't even work - yet there are still agents that try this.

It's not just the listing agent that gets the calls. Here is a written version of a real call:

Person: I need to buy a house and i have no down payment and bad credit. Can you help me?
Me: Not yet. Here is the number and name of a lender who can help you clean up your credit at no charge - and you need to start saving for a 3.5% down payment.

Two weeks later:
Me: You couldn't possibly have cleaned up your credit and saved that much so fast.
Person: I don't need to clean it and i don't need to save. I found a listing for $1.
lmao!

Old 08-05-2011, 07:34 PM

4,246 posts, read 12,027,479 times
Quote:
It's a bad marketing ploy - it doesn't even work - yet there are still agents that try this.

Person: I need to buy a house and I have no down payment and bad credit. Can you help me?

Two weeks later:
Person: I don't need to clean it and I don't need to save. I found a listing for $1.

I thought our conversation was confidential?
I KEED I KEED

Old 08-05-2011, 07:39 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,201,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danieloneil01 View Post
I thought our conversation was confidential?
I KEED I KEED
LOL - Daniel!

Old 08-06-2011, 01:19 PM

301 posts, read 571,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
It could happen, a guy bought a house in Flower Mound, for $16.Stranger moves into foreclosed home, citing little-knownTexas law | khou.com Houston
He didn't buy it. He's trying to use an obscure law to get something for nothing. Most around here think he won't end up with the house.

Old 08-06-2011, 02:51 PM

It was on the news here in Houston. And I agree, he's not going to get it. He's trying to basically steal a home and I hope he loses more than the house.

Old 08-06-2011, 04:35 PM

1,326 posts, read 3,452,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessKick View Post
He didn't buy it. He's trying to use an obscure law to get something for nothing. Most around here think he won't end up with the house.
Quote:
Originally Posted by danieloneil01 View Post
It was on the news here in Houston. And I agree, he's not going to get it. He's trying to basically steal a home and I hope he loses more than the house.
How is that considered 'stealing a home'?
I don't understand why people are so against that man staying in the home.
If he was able to get the home within the confines of the law and doesn't bother anyone else, what's the big deal?
The neighbors and other people who don't want him around (for whatever reason) are making a bigger fuss than he is.

Old 08-06-2011, 05:51 PM

301 posts, read 571,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVD26 View Post
How is that considered 'stealing a home'?
I don't understand why people are so against that man staying in the home.
If he was able to get the home within the confines of the law and doesn't bother anyone else, what's the big deal?
The neighbors and other people who don't want him around (for whatever reason) are making a bigger fuss than he is.
He "found" a key to legally enter the house? My butt he did. And "living" in a house with no electric and water turned on. Yeah, uh huh. He's jerking the system. Wonder how far his $16 "investment" will get once the tax bill arrives...

Old 08-06-2011, 07:40 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,921,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessKick View Post
He "found" a key to legally enter the house? My butt he did. And "living" in a house with no electric and water turned on. Yeah, uh huh. He's jerking the system. Wonder how far his $16 "investment" will get once the tax bill arrives...
Here's the Texas Law

Adverse Possession in Texas

Quote:
Adverse possession refers to the circumstances under which one may lawfully lay claim to ownership of property not originally one’s own. The statute governing the rules of adverse possession is Texas Civil Practices & Remedies Code Sec.16.021 et seq. The statute defines adverse possession as “an actual and visible appropriation of real property, commenced and continued under a claim of right that is inconsistent with and is hostile to the claim of another person.” Case law adds that it must be true that the possessor of the property actually does possess it (the belief of entitlement to possess is not enough), possesses it continuously (sporadic possession is not sufficient), and that he peaceably and intentionally asserts a claim of right to the exclusion of all others. It is not enough to be merely caring for the property temporarily, or even paying the taxes on it, until the owner reappears. Possession shared with the original owner is not enough.
Quote:
The statute is structured in such a way as to require an affirmative act by the original owner to reclaim the property within certain periods of time, referred to as statutes of limitation. If he is prevented from doing so by physically recapturing possession, then he must file a trespass to try title suit in order to reclaim possession and establish legal ownership.
Apparently, squatting there does give him the right unless the original owner files a claim. As for breaking in, since the owner walked away, maybe he left a key under the mat.

Old 08-06-2011, 10:12 PM

The legal owner didn't walk away, the person who lived there had a loan they couldn't pay for. The legal owner is the bank. This person will not take possession of this house. He's trying to take advantage of the system and causing more stress than paying for a house the right way. I hope he enjoyed his 15 mins.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston