Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 12:36 PM

1 posts, read 2,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by modster View Post
You all have not seen trick or treating on overload until you have seen it in Lindale Park. I have no idea why it has become such a big thing over there. It is like a circus and goes on until like 10:00 PM or later. There are the neighborhood kids, the truck loads of kids, the whole thing. Every street is packed for hours. I'm talking packed where you can hardly drive down them. It's hard to think of something to compare it to. You have people in the low-riders and all of that, the pick up trucks, everything. It is an experience, that's for sure.

Um.. YEAH. Last year was my first Halloween in Lindale Park... I had a moderately sized container of candy... It was gone in the first 10 min... PROMISE. It was bad and then the kids keep ringing the bell... I finally taped over it "out of candy" I will know this year to get a little more but I could not financially support enough candy for all these kids. I am talking a like 20 deep at the front door!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2011, 12:41 PM

3,333 posts, read 9,175,701 times
Here's what we do:

Buy the best candy and hand it out until 8PM. After that, the lights go off and all the leftover candy goes in my freezer and I munch on it for the next three months. My son takes a small bowl and sits in the darkened garage just daring some smarta$$es to mess with our cool, over the top, halloween decorations on the lawn.

Just sayin'....

Ronnie

Old 09-26-2011, 12:54 PM

23,976 posts, read 15,086,618 times
When my kid bought in the Heights on one of those lights in the Heights streets, they were told to prepare for 4-500 trick or treaters. It was true.

Old 09-26-2011, 03:17 PM

834 posts, read 2,684,662 times
Last year one of my neighbors gave my 3 year old a bag with a toothbrush and her dentist business card...weak! I'm all about hygiene, but Halloween night is not the time to advertise businesses.

In my neighborhood you see the little ones walking with their parents early evening - around 6pm. Then you start seeing the streets all of the suddent congested with cars full of people from other neighborhoods. It's true many of them are adults with no costume. The young kids, I make them walk up to my door and give them a hard time about not having a costume...it's probably not their fault, but their parents. So I do hand out whatever I have left for a while longer, but close to 8:30 I close shop.
I hope since Halloween falls on a Monday we don't see too many kids way past their bedtime asking for candy.

Good luck everyone!

Old 09-26-2011, 03:24 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,052,923 times
in montrose/museum district last year we got 0 trick or treaters. i am hoping to have a few here.

i'll give candy to anyone in a costume (regardless of age - hey I like candy too) and i'll give any child candy regardless of whether they are in a costume or not. i agree with _2010 it's probably the parents' fault if they aren't in gear

teens hustling for candy sans some type of costume? nope not at my door! i've had one of those try to push their way in to get to my candy bowl. i didn't feel bad finding him on the street later and taking his pillow case full. im an adult!

i close up shop when i run out of candy. i've never run out of candy ever

Old 09-26-2011, 03:34 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,929,122 times
I just keep my gate locked.

Old 09-26-2011, 06:38 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,443,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimBomb View Post
the trick or treating scene in E.T. was pretty cool. I thought it was really that cool in the US
It seems the tradition has kind of been in decline compared to my trick or treating days (early 1980's).

Old 09-26-2011, 06:46 PM

7,542 posts, read 11,576,646 times
Over here in the Willowbend Meyerland area for the last few yr we only get about 15 or so kids before we use to see like 50 & even the older teenagers coming to the door about 9:45

Old 09-26-2011, 07:27 PM

Location: Where nothing ever grows. No rain or rivers flow, Texas
1,085 posts, read 1,581,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lipbalm View Post
It seems the tradition has kind of been in decline compared to my trick or treating days (early 1980's).
diversity sucks

Old 09-26-2011, 09:59 PM

2,282 posts, read 4,062,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modster View Post
You all have not seen trick or treating on overload until you have seen it in Lindale Park. I have no idea why it has become such a big thing over there. It is like a circus and goes on until like 10:00 PM or later. There are the neighborhood kids, the truck loads of kids, the whole thing. Every street is packed for hours. I'm talking packed where you can hardly drive down them. It's hard to think of something to compare it to. You have people in the low-riders and all of that, the pick up trucks, everything. It is an experience, that's for sure.
YES - I remember - we had about 300 kids and finally had to turn off the lights. I think it was because most of the neighborhoods in all directions from Lindale Park had very narrow streets and a lot of fenced front yards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: