Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 06:19 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,779,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJboutit View Post
There is a fire station on S Main nobody wants to live 500ft or less from a fire station also 610 & S Main at night a lot of hookers & crackheads are walking around begging for money which is about 1/3 to 3/4 mile from most of these complexes. Another thing why build these complexes right next to some really ghetto apts I never understand this
Well, maybe they will tear down those apartments for those nice townhomes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2011, 07:29 AM

142 posts, read 398,202 times
I live in a community just like that... outside the loop.
Technically, they are considered single family homes (not townhomes) because they don't share walls with other houses, and the land is owned by the home owner, not some HOA or the community itself.

In my opinion, the closer proximity to other houses promotes a closer knit community. Also, the fact that I'm not having to pay a lot of money for land means that I can afford a larger, nicer home. The community I'm in has quite a bit of public green space, so I don't feel like I'm missing out on much by having a small yard.

Old 09-22-2011, 07:33 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,705,196 times
This seems like it has a lot of potential as long as they don't go for cheap materials! There are some 3 story units near Hermann Park and along 288 that look like they were built from construction site trailers. People who bought into those while that area was cleaning up lost some real money on those. I'd hate for this to be a cycle where it's just temporarily cleaned up.

Old 09-22-2011, 10:01 AM

789 posts, read 1,527,928 times
I have never actually thought about a McMansions community with green space. I'm all about the green space. I'm sure that is a very nice area. But, the new homes in the inner loop don't make any green space, and don't have the room to make green space. They seem to try and cram them into the smallest places from what I see. If they had that green space, like a little community, then they might not be so bad to live in. Like I said, I have seen some really nice developments.

I also see some talking about where the homes are located. In my opinion, if they are adjacent to the hood, then that is the developers and the person who moves in them problem. Someone is very much willing to live next to the hood, so they can be within the city. The "ghetto" is being gentrified, and will continue to be, the more people realize the potential of the locations. I am always dumb-founded how people who don't pay any taxes, or pay little taxes can live within a mile or 2 of Downtown. Houston is the only city I have seen that this is possible. It's not that I don't think people who aren't rich shouldn't live near Downtown, but I don't understand the unwillingness of others who do have the money to live near it. I'm sure this will change the more Houston develops(Downtown, East of it, and directly Southeast specifically), and transplants see what we are giving away (again). If you don't believe me, just go East and South East of Downtown, night or day, look back at Downtown, and you will see what I am saying. You can see the buildings clearly! When Downtown becomes more popular (the areas West and North of it are pretty much fleshed out), I want to be able to get to it and other places easily. So, if some good developments go up or I decided to build a home in an up and coming community it will be those areas East of Downtown. And when you say "Third Ward", people please remember how big the ward truly is. Sorry I kind of went on my own rant there.

Old 09-22-2011, 11:36 AM

951 posts, read 1,452,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesouthwest View Post
Does anyone else find this fad kind of scary? The inner loop is an awesome place for food, shopping, and general living.

But at the same time, there is something inherently wrong with the townhome fad. Profit greedy developers are literally cramming in 6 three story monsters into one small lot. No yard, no trees, no greenery what so ever.

Now in the southwest side of Houston near the bellaire area, apartment complexes are being razed for the same style of homes. On one side, this is great and will bring in a more educated population, but on the other -- neighborhoods are beginning to lose their identity. Sitting outside in my spacious backyard with mature trees, green grass, and a feeling of nature within city limits has been very special too me.

Do you support townhome development?

also heres a video of what I mean:
ZK Homes - Enclave at Bellaire - New TownHomes in the Bellaire and Houston Area - YouTube
Where is this located? in Bellaire? Any exact address that you can provide?

Old 09-22-2011, 11:41 AM

71 posts, read 190,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenpar View Post
I have never actually thought about a McMansions community with green space. I'm all about the green space. I'm sure that is a very nice area. But, the new homes in the inner loop don't make any green space, and don't have the room to make green space. They seem to try and cram them into the smallest places from what I see. If they had that green space, like a little community, then they might not be so bad to live in. Like I said, I have seen some really nice developments.

I also see some talking about where the homes are located. In my opinion, if they are adjacent to the hood, then that is the developers and the person who moves in them problem. Someone is very much willing to live next to the hood, so they can be within the city. The "ghetto" is being gentrified, and will continue to be, the more people realize the potential of the locations. I am always dumb-founded how people who don't pay any taxes, or pay little taxes can live within a mile or 2 of Downtown. Houston is the only city I have seen that this is possible. It's not that I don't think people who aren't rich shouldn't live near Downtown, but I don't understand the unwillingness of others who do have the money to live near it. I'm sure this will change the more Houston develops(Downtown, East of it, and directly Southeast specifically), and transplants see what we are giving away (again). If you don't believe me, just go East and South East of Downtown, night or day, look back at Downtown, and you will see what I am saying. You can see the buildings clearly! When Downtown becomes more popular (the areas West and North of it are pretty much fleshed out), I want to be able to get to it and other places easily. So, if some good developments go up or I decided to build a home in an up and coming community it will be those areas East of Downtown. And when you say "Third Ward", people please remember how big the ward truly is. Sorry I kind of went on my own rant there.
The third ward is prime for development especially with the rail coming through. The location to downtown and TMC is absolutely unbeatable, it's already next to one of the nicest communities in Houston (riverside terrace). Same with the northside. On the other hand my problem with the east end specifically is how industrial it is, there are to many factories, storage facilities, etc to make it a livable neighborhood imo but I'm probably wrong.

10 years from now, Houston's inner loop will probably be unrecognizable which is a good thing.

Old 09-22-2011, 12:03 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,051,955 times
im fine with it as long as the developers don't start influencing home owners to raze their homes and do some tacky rebuild. some of the crummy apartments down here i wouldnt be upset to see something like that replace them. it would just make my home worth that much more since it is a single family detached with a yard

i agree with those townhomes off 90/main. 200k for KB style cheap build in what is basically an industrial park. 15-20 years that specific area may be different but it'd take a lot

Old 09-22-2011, 12:31 PM

789 posts, read 1,527,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesouthwest View Post
The third ward is prime for development especially with the rail coming through. The location to downtown and TMC is absolutely unbeatable, it's already next to one of the nicest communities in Houston (riverside terrace). Same with the northside. On the other hand my problem with the east end specifically is how industrial it is, there are to many factories, storage facilities, etc to make it a livable neighborhood imo but I'm probably wrong.

10 years from now, Houston's inner loop will probably be unrecognizable which is a good thing.
Yes, some parts of the East End are incredibly industrial. It wouldn't be so bad if some of the places weren't actually abandoned. I will never knock Houston for it's current industry, or it's industrial past. It's why it's as affordable, and livable as it has been all this time. Some of the neighborhoods on the East Side of Downtown aren't industrial, and are primed for development. You can build a home, developers can develop, and it won't cost you 350,000 minimum to get in, like other more established neighborhoods. Kind of like some parts of the Heights area were easy to get into, because people didn't develop outward for a long time. Like someone said, in 20 years it won't really be recognizable. I really think there is so much potential in the inner loop, period. There are so many gaps to fill. It's just that people want the hippest place to live right now. It takes others to build. You would be surprised, if you go on a drive through the inner loop, how connected all of these neighborhoods really are. You wouldn't notice sometimes when you have left one and entered the other. The East Side development would just complete this, in my humble opinion.

Old 04-23-2014, 08:10 AM

1,514 posts, read 1,793,278 times
Out west in the Energy Corridor, all new townhome developments are occurring on empty lots or in former (often borderline-blighted) apartment communities. In the latter case, the townhomes actually lead to a net reduction in housing density. In most moderately-upscale and well-organized neighborhoods outside the loop, deed restrictions keep townhomes from replacing single-family homes on large lots.

Townhome construction quality certainly varies widely, but fundamentally, townhomes are fulfilling a market demand wherever they're built. Plenty of young professionals:
-Want to live inside the loop (or close to work).
-Don't want to live in a shack.
-Can't afford a new single-family home in a hot neighborhood.
-Don't want a big house, yard, and/or high taxes, maintenance costs and utility bills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: