Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 05:54 AM

4,760 posts, read 13,828,505 times

Advertisements

Trader Joe's says their first Houston store will be in The Woodlands.

Area's first Trader Joe's to open in The Woodlands - Houston Chronicle

They are also putting a store in the Alabama Theatre location on Shepherd Drive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2011, 07:16 AM

2,639 posts, read 8,289,966 times
With all the hype I hear about Traders on this forum I checked it out in Chicago. Whats the big attraction? I dont get it?

Old 11-09-2011, 07:21 AM

4,760 posts, read 13,828,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westres1 View Post
With all the hype I hear about Traders on this forum I checked it out in Chicago. Whats the big attraction? I dont get it?
People get addicted to their favorite specialty food items that they can't get anywhere else.

When I lived in Austin, my neighbors from California used to ask me to buy their favorite TJ's food items when I visited California. It was a bit of a pain to pack the stuff and bring it back to Texas.

Old 11-09-2011, 07:30 AM

3,333 posts, read 9,175,701 times
It's like everything else that you can't get so you want it. Remember when Coors was a regional beer and not available to us? We had to have a Coors. Now that it's available, nobody cares much about it and have moved on to the next beer we can't get here.

Ronnie

Old 11-09-2011, 07:39 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,498,768 times
It's actually a good location for it. The Woodlands is loaded with California transfers, whom are always missing home.

What doesn't make sense is that there's an HEB Market store and a Kroger at that intersection. Three groceries in one spot seems like a stretch. Also don't they have a specialty store (Hubbel and Hudson) about two miles from there? I would have thought their waterway thing would have been a better area for a specialty type store.

Old 11-09-2011, 07:53 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,783,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
It's actually a good location for it. The Woodlands is loaded with California transfers, whom are always missing home.

What doesn't make sense is that there's an HEB Market store and a Kroger at that intersection. Three groceries in one spot seems like a stretch. Also don't they have a specialty store (Hubbel and Hudson) about two miles from there? I would have thought their waterway thing would have been a better area for a specialty type store.
Sounds like no one is gonna be tired of grocery shopping during the Holidays.

Old 11-09-2011, 12:56 PM

2,271 posts, read 5,148,494 times
Ack. I'm glad the Houston area is getting its first TJ's, but I'm kinda annoyed because I need to transfer to a store in the city, potentially by the end of 2012. The location does make sense for the store, as the article stated, local demographics, income and education are a huge part of location selection.

Old 11-09-2011, 02:04 PM

1,232 posts, read 1,902,730 times
Agree that intersection is loaded with grocery options, but it is also becoming the most central for residential Woodlands access (where there are still build options). Before you know it, Kuykendaul (sp?) will be four lanes from top to bottom.

Old 11-09-2011, 03:14 PM

187 posts, read 714,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwgto View Post
Agree that intersection is loaded with grocery options, but it is also becoming the most central for residential Woodlands access (where there are still build options). Before you know it, Kuykendaul (sp?) will be four lanes from top to bottom.
I'm not sure how it will do with 2 large grocery stores at the same intersection, but all of the TJ's I've ever been to in SoCal have shared a plaza with a larger grocery store like Krogers/Ralph's. We used to go to Ralph's for certain things, then walk next door to TJ's for some of our favorite items not available (or better quality than) at Ralph's.

Old 11-09-2011, 04:34 PM

2,541 posts, read 5,477,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidfrogg View Post
We used to go to Ralph's for certain things, then walk next door to TJ's for some of our favorite items not available (or better quality than) at Ralph's.
Bingo! My friend just visited from NC and brought me some dark chocolate/sea salt/caramel bars. You're not going to find that in Kroger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: