Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 01:47 PM

121 posts, read 240,584 times

Advertisements

maybe a permanent mobile home is ok..ive seen quite a few like that in that area..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2011, 02:23 PM

1,408 posts, read 4,054,186 times
Never seen a mobile home in the area. Anything already in place would be grandfathered in. But city of Houston has strict guidelines on mobile/trailer homes. I don't even think a temporary one would be allowed as living quarters. Maybe only as a temporary office or work area.

Old 12-05-2011, 04:34 PM

2 posts, read 2,063 times
The Eastwood subdivision has a very active civic group that does enforce deed restrictions and stays on top of city ordinances. The civic association covers 19 other non-deed restricted subdivisions. All previous trailers have been removed by the city based on the rules someone else commented. The last two houses and the next one to be built on the few lots available in the Eastwood subdivision have been built to look like their historic neighbors. There are lots available outside that subdivision, but part of the Eastwood area, particularly east of Dumble, which are less expensive. One modern shotgun house built in that area was featured in a national magazine and was on the home tour. That area is near the new Altic station on the East End rail line. You could also look west of Cullen, nearer Scott St., but I think developers are eyeing lots there.

Old 12-06-2011, 12:28 PM

2 posts, read 3,351 times
Thank you all for your responses. Thanks for the referral to the civic association. Regarding the trailer...I am mostly curious about how and to what lengths neighborhoods restrict what people can do on their own land. As I said before I am interested in alternative building methods and land use, so this trailer question gives me an idea of how this particular neighborhood might respond to something that pushes the limits a little bit. For instance what if I wanted to build a house using entirely re-used materials and what it looks like is not of the highest importance to me? Thanks again for your interest and responses.

Old 12-06-2011, 12:35 PM

7,542 posts, read 11,574,791 times
Mobile home is a bad idea just get a small rv for 4 months that would be a much better idea

Old 12-06-2011, 12:42 PM

1,135 posts, read 2,192,007 times
Yep, multi generational Texan and still can't get over all the Laws and Restrictions in the state I thought was most free. Did the yuppies doom it in the 80's or what? Funny I moved to a state I never heard of and the motto is Live Free or Die. I grew up thinking THAT was TX. Sad seeing these posts coming from TX that I hold so dear and an icon of what the US should strive to be???? Maybe I'm wrong but I won't tell 100% of family that lives there.

Old 12-06-2011, 02:20 PM

1,408 posts, read 4,054,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locustzzz View Post
Thank you all for your responses. Thanks for the referral to the civic association. Regarding the trailer...I am mostly curious about how and to what lengths neighborhoods restrict what people can do on their own land. As I said before I am interested in alternative building methods and land use, so this trailer question gives me an idea of how this particular neighborhood might respond to something that pushes the limits a little bit. For instance what if I wanted to build a house using entirely re-used materials and what it looks like is not of the highest importance to me? Thanks again for your interest and responses.
This is Houston specific, not Eastwood specific. If your home passes city code, you should be fine. I've seen a house near the Heights built out of train/truck containers.

Most of the city of Houston does NOT have HOA's, only deed restrictions. Most just impose setback limits and minimum lot size requirements. I think the issue you'll have is the code requirements by the city of Houston.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston