Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2011, 12:02 AM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,444,054 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by friendlyguy010 View Post
I agree to an extent, however, sometimes there really isn't anything you can do about it. Of course if the household has only 2 cars, then why should they be parking on the streets anyways right? However, we have 4 cars (and one is actually a friend of ours we are taking care of since he is out of town). Having 2 cars on the driveway and inside the garage is not desirable in any way because it is always an extra step to get the car behind it out so the one in the garage can get out. Also the spots in front of our house are already occupied, and the next free spot is farther down the street. It doesn't make sense to park that far keeping in mind that we won't be parking in front of the neighbors house temporarily.
Why don't you park the garaged cars in your driveway and the cars that park in the street in the garage so that there will be no extra step when you need to leave.

I personally think it is rude to just up and park your car in front of someone's house when you have a 2 car garage and 2 spaces in your driveway. Who the hell wants to pay for a house and have to see their neighbors car parked in front of their house? I don't like it myself. I have a very crazy scottish neighbor and he let's everyone know that they are not welcome to park in front of his house. Good for him!

And for the car that leaks oil they do make tarps or absorbing materials that you can put underneath the car to prevent it from dripping on and staining the concrete.

Last edited by TVC15; 12-11-2011 at 12:13 AM..

Old 12-11-2011, 12:22 AM

2,239 posts, read 3,228,861 times
Simple, just advise her she does not OWN the street. And if she has a problem, have her call the cops. They will gladly explain to her how that works. Some folks think they are special. Unless you are in a Subdivsion that is gated and has no street parking rules, park on the street as allowed by law. People who have an issue with a car parked in the street have serious issues and need to get over themselves. They are way more serious things to worry about in life.

Old 12-11-2011, 12:39 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times
Maybe it's a regional thing or maybe even a neighborhood thing but where I lived it was considered rude to park in front of someone else's house without asking if it was okay. Most people considered the spots in front of their houses as overflow parking for when they have their own friends and family over.
Legally sure anybody can park there, but I wouldn't want to chance a ding from a straying trash can or gravel or whatever kicked up from the lawn mower, KWIM

Old 12-11-2011, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Maybe it's a regional thing or maybe even a neighborhood thing but where I lived it was considered rude to park in front of someone else's house without asking if it was okay. Most people considered the spots in front of their houses as overflow parking for when they have their own friends and family over.
Legally sure anybody can park there, but I wouldn't want to chance a ding from a straying trash can or gravel or whatever kicked up from the lawn mower, KWIM
It's gotta be a regional thing. Because I find it to be dumb.

Old 12-11-2011, 01:54 AM

101 posts, read 370,886 times
Parking in front of their house is dumb. They could easily do the same to you, what would you say? You're inconveniencing other people for your convenience. Park in your own driveway or be ready to have angry neighbors. You can't have the best of both worlds and come here and complain about it.

Old 12-11-2011, 02:05 AM

890 posts, read 1,849,139 times
If you have room, in your driveway, garage or in front of your house I feel it's inconsiderate to park in front of somebodyelse's home.

Legally it's not wrong, but it is inconsiderate. Don't inconvenience someone else because you have so many cars.

The fact that they are elderly and/or Chinese has nothing to do with anything. You pointing that out sends up a flag.

That's my opinion.

Old 12-11-2011, 02:12 AM

2,945 posts, read 4,989,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanw View Post
Actually I find parking in the street pretty annoying. They must have garages and driveways for a reason right? You can park two cars in the garage and two more in the drive way. Is it convenient? Nope. But you rather screw the guys across the street so you can keep it convenient for YOU right?
I had a similar issue with my previous house and it wasn't pretty at all but he got the message after a while.
Exactly.

Driveways are there for a reason. A car in the driveway is a hassle for YOU to get the cars out of the garage. But cars on the street are a hassle for everyone else. Cars coming and going down the street in opposite directions who have to watch out for cars and stuff and for simply tackiness.

I give neighbors leeway if they have an attached garage because attached is basically no driveway whatsoever. Not really. But I've seen people with long detach garages still park on the street. The only people who should are guests because it's kind of rude to block a driveway when you're a guest and will be leaving. Unless it's a big thing and there's a lot of cars.

What was the point in mentioning that they're an elderly Chinese couple? White people, black people, Spanish people and the like young, old, elderly don't get annoyed with their neighbors? Is that suppose to make people side with you more because their Chinese and old?

We had some neighbors once that would park in FRONT of our driveway. Now that was rude as hell. They had these huge pickup trucks parked there and literally in front of our driveway.

That was a ****** to back out. You seriously had to get on the grass otherwise you'd be dangerously close to this ridiculous Chevy/Ford what the crap ever 350 tonka truck.

For some people it could be an aesthetic thing. I know once one of my neighbors complained about another neighbor's family members beat up older 90s car always parked in front of their driveway. If you put effort in your yard and have the landscape looking nice, from the street no one wants to see a car that needs wash me please, a couple of dents and missing hubcaps and close to having some duct tape on a window.

Stop being rude and park in your driveway. You have a driveway. Who cares if it's difficult to get the cars out. That's how the cookie crumbles when you have a lot of cars at one house and not enough driveway space. YOU simply move them around. Inconvenience yourself.

I don't know how your cars look but the oil leaking one might not look too nice and they just don't want an old car in front of their new house. That's their right too.

The first instance was VERY rude and I can't blame them for being snotty. When you move it's stressful. They probably said "Man! Now we know our neighbors think they own the street" it's a public street but you guys parking in it all the time is like you saying this is OUR spot and OURS.

OP, you contridicted yourself in the second instance. You said at first you *only* park on the street if you really have to! Exclamation point and all. Then you said you parked on the street because you were tired. That's not you really needing to park on the street.
If they ask you to move, just be neighborly and move. You ask them to move, they should be neighborly and move.

Old 12-11-2011, 02:19 AM

We are not talking about BLOCKING drive ways. We are talking STREET parking.

Old 12-11-2011, 03:27 AM

2,945 posts, read 4,989,217 times
^^^You do notice I actually addressed parking in front of other people's houses. Then simply gave an example from the other side on what I see as rude. Parking on my side of the street in front of my house IS rude. Parking in front of your own house on the side of the street your house is on is not a problem.

Every house has it's own designated yard. Why do they have to park in front of a neighbor's house on the street? Park in the street on your own side, in front of your own house. If you'd be blocking something then get in the driveway.

There's a front yard. A walkway leading to the front door and two sides of yard and grass. Park in front of one of your OWN grassy sides in front of your own house. It would be stupid for me to park on the opposite side of the street in front of my neighbor's mailbox.

I block my OWN mailbox. My OWN driveway. Not theirs. Yes it's a public street but the rude ones here are the rude neighbors parking in front of other people's houses.

Can OP not just park in front of their own house and call it a day? A street has two sides. The side closest to you is "your" side to park and have at it and the other side is for the people across from house. On the other side of your driveway is your neighbor's street side in front of their house.

Common sense. Common decency. But I guess the grumpy Chinese people are simply in the wrong, right?

I mean really. You have a whole street right directly in front of your house don't you? Streets are wide enough to be two lane. You park in your own lane in front of your house. Not across the street, especially if they ask you not to. You have your own side.

Old 12-11-2011, 04:55 AM

3,390 posts, read 4,948,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanw View Post
Actually I find parking in the street pretty annoying. They must have garages and driveways for a reason right? You can park two cars in the garage and two more in the drive way. Is it convenient? Nope. But you rather screw the guys across the street so you can keep it convenient for YOU right?
I had a similar issue with my previous house and it wasn't pretty at all but he got the message after a while.
I agree with this completely. So it's inconvenient for you to park in your own driveway? Tough. Park there rather than making it inconvenient for them. That's the price you pay for having four cars; don't make your neighbors out to be the bad guy. I had this issue too with a neighbor of mine. They finally moved, thank goodness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: