Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 09:37 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,070,627 times

Advertisements

wow. that's pretty low class. the world isn't made up of just Christians nor is America.

damn Christian Scientists, Hindus, Buddhists, Taoists, Muslim, Jehovah Witness, Jewish, Pagan, Shinto, Atheist etc people who don't celebrate Christmas and trying to work

people who have never read what our founding fathers have graciously left for us always use the "America was based on Christianity" argument. Our constitution is not a religious document and was not written as one. A good portion of our founding fathers struggled with various aspects of the religion of the times and were pretty good sinners themselves

Last edited by testmo; 12-22-2011 at 09:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2011, 11:11 AM

208 posts, read 271,036 times
Back to back 4-day weekends Merry Christmas!

Old 12-23-2011, 08:38 PM

275 posts, read 838,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohmanon View Post
^ Ha, Ha. Happy Bologna! That’s Just Bull, it is a PC “thing.” This has only come to be an issue the past few years. It never used to be a problem at work either. It is not just another day. There's a reason for the gift giving, the decorating of the tree, the feast. Perhaps those who are of other persuasions (or none, doesn't matter to most people) should just treat it as another day without participating in any way the traditions surrounding Christmas. When our friend in Beaverton, Oregon has to look all over town for a card that says something other than the generic Happy Holidays, that's pretty base. Most people are very respectful of other religions who are free to celebrate their important holidays without mocking, interference or a few nuts trying to change their tradition so I’m not sure what you mean. Too bad this subject even exists.
yes, i know there's a reason for the gift giving, etc. it's a religious holiday that many secular people choose to celebrate as well. then there's people like me (and many people in houston) that do not celebrate it in any way. there's no problem with saying merry christmas to ppl who celebrate xmas. the problem is when ppl act like everyone does or should celebrate it. if u celebrate xmas, by all means, tell ur christian colleagues or nonchristian xmas celebrators "merry xmas". dont go up to your sikh/jewish/hindu/buddhist/muslim colleague and say that unless you know they'd welcome it. no one is trying to interfere in your traditions as long as you're not pushing them on us. this was never a "problem" at work because management in the workplace is only catching up nowadays--they can't just highlight the religious practices of only one group when there are other religious celebrations that are celebrated amongst their employees.

Old 12-23-2011, 10:06 PM

404 posts, read 1,248,894 times
Okey dokey, just one thing. Would you mind informing me exactly what it is that a secular person would be celebrating?

Since there’s so much concern about not offending others, why would you not be a little more sensitive to those celebrating CHRISTMAS who might find your term “xmas” disrespectful? I don’t really give a hoot what you call it, I know from where “x” is derived. I do not celebrate xmas, nor do I know anyone who does so please be a little more cognizant of the hurt feelings you might bring upon us more delicate souls. Heck, even my spellchecker doesn’t recognize xmas! See what I mean, we can all nitpick. I’m almost positive that the world would be a much more peaceful place if maybe the pc crowd would start practicing what they preach.

Old 12-24-2011, 07:29 PM

275 posts, read 838,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohmanon View Post
Since there’s so much concern about not offending others, why would you not be a little more sensitive to those celebrating CHRISTMAS who might find your term “xmas” disrespectful? I don’t really give a hoot what you call it, I know from where “x” is derived. I do not celebrate xmas, nor do I know anyone who does so please be a little more cognizant of the hurt feelings you might bring upon us more delicate souls.
well, at least one good thing came out of this conversation...i never knew that "x" would be offensive to some. i will keep that in mind, so as not to offend people who have your belief. i have grown up amongst christians, and this is the first time i heard that. in fact, i had always been told it's an abbreviation for "christ". now that u made this point, i went and googled it, so i can educate myself and remember not to say that in houston at least.

Old 12-27-2011, 11:29 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,854,088 times
Since Santa came to town, what did he bring some of y'all?

Old 12-27-2011, 11:53 AM

404 posts, read 1,248,894 times
Well, I was just a little bit naughty this year so all I got was some coal. How 'bout you? Were you a good Southern Boy?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: