Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 11:15 AM

18,130 posts, read 25,286,567 times

Advertisements

It's only 4 days until Christmas and I don't see much talk about anything that has to do with Christmas/Holidays on the news.

Instead, this morning they kept on talking about the man that got killed after a break-in and the man that killed the 4 year old.

I'll tell you what bothers me about this...
Shouldn't this be the days when everybody is having a good time somewhere, celebrating, shopping, ice-skating, etc, etc, etc.
I watch the news and it doesn't feel at all like we are just a few days away from Christmas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2011, 12:51 PM

1,611 posts, read 4,854,130 times
There is no talk about Christmas because it is no longer politically correct to do so. After all, such talk may offend a non-Christian and we certainly wouldn't want to do that, would we? I'm amazed that Sunny 99.1 still gets away with playing Christmas music for a month and a half.

Old 12-21-2011, 01:01 PM
fnh

2,888 posts, read 3,913,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrover View Post
There is no talk about Christmas because it is no longer politically correct to do so. After all, such talk may offend a non-Christian and we certainly wouldn't want to do that, would we? I'm amazed that Sunny 99.1 still gets away with playing Christmas music for a month and a half.
What? I disagree. There has always been a disposition in the reported news to highlight the calamitous, or the momentous, or the exceptional (good or bad). Perhaps it's taken for granted that many/most people are readying for the holidays, whatever holiday they are celebrating, and it isn't 'newsworthy' in and of itself.

Really, who would need watch the news to learn that "People are getting ready for the holidays!" or, "People are traveling to meet family members!" And frankly, I imagine there IS lots of holiday reporting in sales figures, travel alerts, etc.

Old 12-21-2011, 01:12 PM

4,900 posts, read 13,738,039 times
Its been 2000 years and Jesus is still dead, follow us for this and other breaking developments at 11.

Old 12-21-2011, 02:21 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,705,196 times
Channel 2 is doing a number of stories about Christmas grinches stealing packages at doors, breaking into homes stealing presents, defacing lights. Is that Christmas enough?

Old 12-21-2011, 02:26 PM

3,333 posts, read 9,174,639 times
Because it's not politically correct. As soon as you start you get the vocal majority's ire up. Buncha loud-mouthed idiots just itching for a fight. I'm offended by Christmas! I"m offended by Hanukkah! I'm offended by Kwanzaa! Who cares? Buzz off and don't listen!

Merry Christmas! Kiss my a$$ if you don't like it.

Ronnie

Old 12-21-2011, 02:42 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,286,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonRonnie View Post
Because it's not politically correct.
Where are you getting this from?
Are you seriously saying that it is more PC to talk about all the insane crimes that they talk about everyday than shopping for gifts at the mall, "holiday" light displays, etc, etc.

In what World do you guys live in?
Most of the time I can't even watch the news because I don't want my kids listening to all the crazy stuff they report on.

Old 12-21-2011, 03:15 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,859,948 times
Welcome to the 4th largest city in the country. A man being killed during a break in and the murder of a 4 year old child should come first over some meaningless story about holiday shopping and the other nonsense that no one cares about.

There are plenty of TV shows and movies on this time of the year to distract you from the real world. Let the news cover what they should be covering....the news!

Old 12-21-2011, 03:20 PM
fnh

2,888 posts, read 3,913,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Where are you getting this from?
Are you seriously saying that it is more PC to talk about all the insane crimes that they talk about everyday than shopping for gifts at the mall, "holiday" light displays, etc, etc.

In what World do you guys live in?
Most of the time I can't even watch the news because I don't want my kids listening to all the crazy stuff they report on.
It has nothing to do with politics, that's just stirring the pot. But of course, crimes do sell and drive the news reporting. I rarely if ever watch the TV news. One of the other moms in my kid's class is an evening news anchor and I had no idea who she was. Anyway, definitely don't watch TV news with kids around. We get the paper delivered daily and even so need often turn it upside down on the breakfast table for the graphic images on the front page.

Old 12-21-2011, 03:57 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,220,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
Welcome to the 4th largest city in the country. A man being killed during a break in and the murder of a 4 year old child should come first over some meaningless story about holiday shopping and the other nonsense that no one cares about.

There are plenty of TV shows and movies on this time of the year to distract you from the real world. Let the news cover what they should be covering....the news!

Nothing's more important than Santa!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston