Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 10:53 PM

135 posts, read 335,347 times

Advertisements

I was doing some research on HAR.COM and saw that Summerwood Elementary has 15% students that are "economically disadvantaged." I am contemplating buying in Summerwood or Eagle Springs, but leaning heavily towards Summerwood since it's closer to the Beltway. I thought it was a good neighborhood but I want my kids to be in the best school possible. How are there so many economically disadvantaged kids going to school in a "master planned community"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2012, 11:03 PM

7,542 posts, read 11,576,646 times
Dude you sound racist if there is not enough minorities in a school they just redraw the zone lines. They did they same thing with Bellaire High school back in 94 or 95 that rezoned so the apts on Bellaire & Hillcroft could be zone to Bellaire even though they are close to Sharpstown. If you truly have a problem just send your kids to a private school

Old 02-15-2012, 11:20 PM

2,480 posts, read 7,140,569 times
Because it's not just the kids that live in that masterplanned community that go to that school. Kids that are zoned to Summerwood elementary go there as well - and that includes kids that don't live in summerwood.

Enrollment in Humble ISD / Attendance Zones

There is an apartment complex zones to Summerwood Elementary. And generally, families who live in apartments have a lower economic status than a home owner, which would equal your "economically disadvantaged" student.

Old 02-15-2012, 11:24 PM

235 posts, read 803,364 times
I assume the surrounding apartments also go to the school. Fall Creek Elementary down the road is only for Fall Creek neighborhood too but I believe the apartments in front also go there.
But really, just worry about your kids and make sure you do your job as a parent. The disadvantaged percentage is 28% at FCE. The percentage of white kids are also smaller at FCE. But the standardized test scores there are better than at Summerwood. So get over whatever stereotype you have in your head and focus on how *you* can make your kid successful.

Old 02-16-2012, 12:23 AM

135 posts, read 335,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJboutit View Post
Dude you sound racist if there is not enough minorities in a school they just redraw the zone lines. They did they same thing with Bellaire High school back in 94 or 95 that rezoned so the apts on Bellaire & Hillcroft could be zone to Bellaire even though they are close to Sharpstown. If you truly have a problem just send your kids to a private school
Simmer down homey, ever consider that a dude with the screen name "brownplayboy" probably aint white? I'm mixed race African American/ Pacific Islander and grew up in the hood. I'm just trying to give my kids the advantages that I didn't have. My post didn't focus on "minorities", I was just wondering how all these "economically disadvantaged" kids got there.

Old 02-16-2012, 04:23 AM

2,086 posts, read 4,132,959 times
I wouldn't wory about it, our elementary is 34% disadvantaged and rated Acceptable on the TAKS scores but it's a great school. I would recommend doing a tour of the school before buying, it might sway your opinion one way or the other.

Old 02-16-2012, 08:33 AM

93 posts, read 312,427 times
Also understand that a small portion of Summerwood is zoned to Lakeshore Elementary.

Old 02-16-2012, 10:58 AM

2,945 posts, read 4,992,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJboutit View Post
Economically disadvantaged doesn't mean minorities. Though the fact that people automatically think it does is sad. So that's people's basic perception? A minority is most likely going to be poor?

If you see a number of economically disadvantaged, Google the area and look for apartments zoned. Most just really do come from some very reasonable apartments zoned nearby.

Old 02-16-2012, 03:02 PM

23,980 posts, read 15,086,618 times
The low income on school sites mean the kids qualify for reduced and free lunch. All it takes is filling out the form.

The schools, by law can only verify 2% of the forms. I have watched my local high school go from 10% to 64% free lunch over a 10 year time frame. The housing pattern has not changed. The school attendance zone was just about built out already. There have been no large low income apartment complexes added.

The economy may account for some. I don't think it accounts for a over 50% rise. I am beginning to think that many folks just lie on the form to get something for nothing. Especially since moms and dads no longer marry. All mom needs do is report her income. The school may be far less low income than is indicated.

Old 02-16-2012, 03:56 PM

660 posts, read 1,616,978 times
so how much annual salary is "economically disadvantaged"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston