Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2012, 10:08 AM

1,650 posts, read 3,804,905 times

Advertisements

Closing this week and just trying to understand one thing.
Why am i required to pay 5 months of taxes upfront at closing if i'm paying them into my escrow account every month as part of the total monthly mortgage payment? Seems like I'm paying extra the first year?

Can someone explain that to me? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2012, 10:09 AM

1,408 posts, read 4,054,557 times
It's a cushion that your lender requires.

Old 02-23-2012, 11:09 AM

3,333 posts, read 9,175,701 times
So the mortgage company can collect interest on your "deposit".

Old 02-23-2012, 12:11 PM

But is that EXTRA tax that I'm paying in the form of a fee, or is it credited at some point?
Will my escrow payment be higher next year due to a higher monthly tax payment since I won't be paying 5 months up front?

Old 02-23-2012, 12:25 PM

7,891 posts, read 11,413,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d2mini View Post
But is that EXTRA tax that I'm paying in the form of a fee, or is it credited at some point?
Will my escrow payment be higher next year due to a higher monthly tax payment since I won't be paying 5 months up front?
It is not a fee, the way taxes work is they are past due each year after Feb 1. So they will be paid in January out of your escrow funds. Since you close essentially March 1, by paying 5 months now, you will have around 15 months worth in escrow by next January when 2013 taxes are due. This cushion in the fund makes sure if taxes are go up(they rarely go down) there is sufficent funds for the annual tax payment. You will get a credit for the excess funds in escrow when and if you sell the house.

The alternative is to pay your taxes without escrow, but requires a lot of fiscal discipline and lenders generally allow it if you put a huge amount down on the home. Not one I could recommend for most buyers. Interest rates are so low to day that any lost interest on funds in escrow is small.

Old 02-23-2012, 12:46 PM

ok, thanks.
I thought about not putting them in escrow (we are putting down more than half) but with savings interest as low as it is, i figure it's not worth the hassle.

Old 02-23-2012, 01:11 PM

28 posts, read 88,270 times
Basically, it is a cushion that the mortgage company requires. Don't worry, the $$ in the escrow will not be lost. In case you decide next year to close the escrow account and pay the mortgage, insurance, and taxes on your own, whatever is left over in the escrow will be returned to you. I closed in December and decided to escrow my property taxes & insurance. However, after one year I will be closing down the escrow account and handling taxes & insurance on my own and I did confirm with my mortgage company that any left over balance from the escrow will be returned to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston