Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 08:28 PM

613 posts, read 1,002,222 times

Advertisements

It is a funny thing; breaking a post down actually does make it easier to read. Don't know why it is, it just is. I didn't read the original block text post, I read the re-post.

There is a thread right now started by someone in the last day or two about commuting in Houston. A big mistake new people coming to Houston often make is to not take into account where they will work when they select a place to live. Anyone with any real Houston experience will tell you that you can't really look for a home until you know where you are going to work. Otherwise, you could be setting yourself up for a 1 hr plus commute each way.

With regards to the Woodlands, I have only spent a little bit of time there because it is way, way north of the city. From my experience, it is a nice and family oriented area. Plenty of shopping (a big mall and lots of other shopping options). I consider it a bit sterile, but then I am a city person so anything outside of the city itself is pretty sterile to me. $1000/mo strikes me as a fairly low budget for rental there, but I could be very wrong on that.

You make a reference to the fact that you are a student. Not sure what age that makes you. If you are a young student without a family, the Woodlands would strike me as an odd place to be. Younger people with no kids and not planning to start a family soon is something I would more generally associate with living in the city, but again I don't know enough about you to say that conclusively.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2012, 08:56 PM

48 posts, read 129,846 times
There's the occassional rude, adult, immature element in these forums, but for the most part it's tolerable.

Coming from NY, you may find the Westchase area similar to some NYC neighborhoods with more to offer. Lots of affordable apartments, shopping, restaurants on Westheimer etc and of course check out har.com to do your house search. Lots of decent suburbs to choose from when you're ready to purchase, and like another poster said, commute should be given serious consideration, Houston is huge...good luck.

Old 03-07-2012, 11:47 PM

59 posts, read 86,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo2000 View Post
Don't worry about these people and don't think that Houstonians are all that rude and anal. Its awfully telling when people post things like "if you want people to read, then do this" but they seem to have had no problems reading it anyway. The responses to your initial questions were FAR more rude than posting in all caps could ever be.

I hope you find the answers to your questions.

Thank You very much, I appreciate your post.....I know that not all Houstonians should pay for what 1 0r 2 rude people say from there.

I never categorize people that way, its just ignorant how people take there precious time to write so abruptly.

It doesn't matter much to me anyways, because I don't even know them. But yes I do hope I can find some answers, even though I am working with some real estate agents, I should trust them instead.

Old 03-07-2012, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIBS98 View Post
It is a funny thing; breaking a post down actually does make it easier to read. Don't know why it is, it just is. I didn't read the original block text post, I read the re-post.

There is a thread right now started by someone in the last day or two about commuting in Houston. A big mistake new people coming to Houston often make is to not take into account where they will work when they select a place to live. Anyone with any real Houston experience will tell you that you can't really look for a home until you know where you are going to work. Otherwise, you could be setting yourself up for a 1 hr plus commute each way.

With regards to the Woodlands, I have only spent a little bit of time there because it is way, way north of the city. From my experience, it is a nice and family oriented area. Plenty of shopping (a big mall and lots of other shopping options). I consider it a bit sterile, but then I am a city person so anything outside of the city itself is pretty sterile to me. $1000/mo strikes me as a fairly low budget for rental there, but I could be very wrong on that.

You make a reference to the fact that you are a student. Not sure what age that makes you. If you are a young student without a family, the Woodlands would strike me as an odd place to be. Younger people with no kids and not planning to start a family soon is something I would more generally associate with living in the city, but again I don't know enough about you to say that conclusively.

Thanks for your post, I am trying my best on these forums LOL

I am a student but I graduate with my BBA this year, so I wont be studying in Houston. I am in my mid 20's, but not a so much of a party person.

I am married with no kids. I just want a nice place to live with lots of shopping and restaurants, that's normally what I like to do for fun.

I'm more focused on working and making money, to live comfortable and be with my family.

Old 03-07-2012, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY2Katy View Post
There's the occassional rude, adult, immature element in these forums, but for the most part it's tolerable.

Coming from NY, you may find the Westchase area similar to some NYC neighborhoods with more to offer. Lots of affordable apartments, shopping, restaurants on Westheimer etc and of course check out har.com to do your house search. Lots of decent suburbs to choose from when you're ready to purchase, and like another poster said, commute should be given serious consideration, Houston is huge...good luck.

Thanks for your honest response.

That's what bugs me that is adults writing these nonsense like really, you still have that mentality. I way surpassed that a long time ago and still am in my mid twenties.

I will check the places you mentioned, and I have been searching Har.com. It's just that I do not feel ready for buying a home.

I am applying to some jobs out there, and actually got a few offers.
I know is hard for others to just tell me what is best for me, I will just go with my guts and do what is best for me.

Old 03-08-2012, 08:51 AM

342 posts, read 803,262 times
Are you telling me NYorkers are kinder and gentler than Houstonians? Look up Jeff Van Gundy, see what he says about us. I've seen a lot of youtube subway fights, I do not see peacemakers, more haymakers than anything else. And those caps are offensive, if you post in other forums, the response will be the same, if not more harsh.

Anyway, as for The Woodlands, I can help you with that if you want to read further. If you are planning to have kids, it is a fantastic place for you, but if you are just married with no kids, it will be no fun if your into adventures.

+ They have great schools for academics/sports
+ 85% or above of the adults have college degrees
+ Bike/walkway paths (at least 150 miles of it) all over the place
+ CWoods Pavilion concerts, grocery, movie theatres, malls and a street-walking shopping
+ Wide and well-maintained streets, never floods (since '79)
+ A variety of restaurants
+ Policing (I've never gotten a ticket in my life there)
+ Low crime (most petty crime are around the Mall)
+ Quiet after 12am

- Maintenance bills and school/property tax is high
- Driving during rush hour inside The Woodlands can be bumper-to bumper on Parkway
- Keeping up with the Jones
- Hard to make time to go to Houston except on weekends
- Trees = more yard work

I've lived there since '79, so that is what I've experienced from my eyes. The Woodlands was once a real quiet town, now it has a population of 90,000, if not more. It is still a good place for a family with kids, but if you want the fast lifestyle, I do not think this place is for you. If you plan to have quiet time, just enjoy peacefulness, this is the place for you. Good Luck!!!

Old 03-08-2012, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodwings19 View Post
Are you telling me NYorkers are kinder and gentler than Houstonians? Look up Jeff Van Gundy, see what he says about us. I've seen a lot of youtube subway fights, I do not see peacemakers, more haymakers than anything else. And those caps are offensive, if you post in other forums, the response will be the same, if not more harsh.

Anyway, as for The Woodlands, I can help you with that if you want to read further. If you are planning to have kids, it is a fantastic place for you, but if you are just married with no kids, it will be no fun if your into adventures.

+ They have great schools for academics/sports
+ 85% or above of the adults have college degrees
+ Bike/walkway paths (at least 150 miles of it) all over the place
+ CWoods Pavilion concerts, grocery, movie theatres, malls and a street-walking shopping
+ Wide and well-maintained streets, never floods (since '79)
+ A variety of restaurants
+ Policing (I've never gotten a ticket in my life there)
+ Low crime (most petty crime are around the Mall)
+ Quiet after 12am

- Maintenance bills and school/property tax is high
- Driving during rush hour inside The Woodlands can be bumper-to bumper on Parkway
- Keeping up with the Jones
- Hard to make time to go to Houston except on weekends
- Trees = more yard work

I've lived there since '79, so that is what I've experienced from my eyes. The Woodlands was once a real quiet town, now it has a population of 90,000, if not more. It is still a good place for a family with kids, but if you want the fast lifestyle, I do not think this place is for you. If you plan to have quiet time, just enjoy peacefulness, this is the place for you. Good Luck!!!

No I am not trying to say anything about Houstonians yet, I know everyone is different. I guess it really depends on the person.

I cannot say until I experience it myself, so just for reading it doesn't mean anything to me, you or anyone else. If you have not been to ny you shouldn't beleive everything you here, you might come and live here and experience the best time of your I mean it depends on the person.

I actually want to get of ny myself, I kinda like the idea of a suburb lifestyle. I will check other places , but so far the woodlands sound great . Thanks for your post. Oh and about posting in caps, I found many from other states and have not seen such indignifying responses like in this thread ....... Just saying

Old 03-08-2012, 10:23 AM

Wading in one last time as I have read some of the responses about how rude people have been with bemusement.

A long, long time ago in the early days of the internet (at least my early days on the internet) I posted something in all CAPS. I was immediately greeted with a number of responses telling me it was rude to post in all CAPS. I actually appreciated people letting me know so I could post properly and not make mistakes. In the ensuing years I have probably seen 4-5 people per year post something all-CAPS (it doesn't happen that often as these days most people are fully up to speed on netiquette) and always the response has been the same. Anybody who does not believe that CAPS in email or internet is something that people react to should have a quick search of the internet. Even wikipedia has an entry on all caps and netiquette. I am on several forums that outright ban CAPS, require readable grammar, etc. and posts are deleted if they do not meet those standards.

I had a look back at the posts here and there were a couple of comments that could be taken as a tad bit unnecessary, but the general theme was that if the OP wants a useful response, he should post differently. The fact that he has gotten very little in the way of useful replies supports this. For every poster who said they could not read all CAPS, I guarantee you there were 5 people who opened the thread and didn't even bother. So, what is more helpful: those who informed the OP of the issue and suggested he post differently or those who said "how rude" and posted nothing of any use apart from that?

I said before, when met with corrective responses, one can either be appreciative and change or one can be cranky about it. It reminds me of the employee boss relationship. Some bosses will always tell you what a great job you are doing then you get a 3% raise and wonder why. Some bosses will sit down and tell you what you did well and tell you what you need to improve on. I have always found the latter far more useful; my best bosses have been critical and specific in their feedback. Some people get pissed off by that, but reality is that providing improvement feedback in a one-on-one situation is one of the most difficult things to do. The bosses who just say, "great job" are lazy and don't really care - it is easier for them to avoid a potentially confrontational situation. The result is that as an employee, you rarely improve. The person who tells you where you are deficient and how to get better helps you advance your career.

Like I said, some people get annoyed by this. They think the boss is out to get them. They move on to their next job and encounter the same issues, always blaming everybody else and never themselves. Some say "thank you very much" and get about the business of doing better. They get ahead.

At the end of the day, there are threads like this one that are 4 pages long filled with good information. Then there is this thread which is 3-4 pages long with maybe 2-3 posts answering the original questions. Why is that? Just maybe it is the style of posting, so just maybe the feedback helps the OP get better results next time.

Old 03-08-2012, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIBS98 View Post
Wading in one last time as I have read some of the responses about how rude people have been with bemusement.

A long, long time ago in the early days of the internet (at least my early days on the internet) I posted something in all CAPS. I was immediately greeted with a number of responses telling me it was rude to post in all CAPS. I actually appreciated people letting me know so I could post properly and not make mistakes. In the ensuing years I have probably seen 4-5 people per year post something all-CAPS (it doesn't happen that often as these days most people are fully up to speed on netiquette) and always the response has been the same. Anybody who does not believe that CAPS in email or internet is something that people react to should have a quick search of the internet. Even wikipedia has an entry on all caps and netiquette. I am on several forums that outright ban CAPS, require readable grammar, etc. and posts are deleted if they do not meet those standards.

I had a look back at the posts here and there were a couple of comments that could be taken as a tad bit unnecessary, but the general theme was that if the OP wants a useful response, he should post differently. The fact that he has gotten very little in the way of useful replies supports this. For every poster who said they could not read all CAPS, I guarantee you there were 5 people who opened the thread and didn't even bother. So, what is more helpful: those who informed the OP of the issue and suggested he post differently or those who said "how rude" and posted nothing of any use apart from that?

I said before, when met with corrective responses, one can either be appreciative and change or one can be cranky about it. It reminds me of the employee boss relationship. Some bosses will always tell you what a great job you are doing then you get a 3% raise and wonder why. Some bosses will sit down and tell you what you did well and tell you what you need to improve on. I have always found the latter far more useful; my best bosses have been critical and specific in their feedback. Some people get pissed off by that, but reality is that providing improvement feedback in a one-on-one situation is one of the most difficult things to do. The bosses who just say, "great job" are lazy and don't really care - it is easier for them to avoid a potentially confrontational situation. The result is that as an employee, you rarely improve. The person who tells you where you are deficient and how to get better helps you advance your career.

Like I said, some people get annoyed by this. They think the boss is out to get them. They move on to their next job and encounter the same issues, always blaming everybody else and never themselves. Some say "thank you very much" and get about the business of doing better. They get ahead.

At the end of the day, there are threads like this one that are 4 pages long filled with good information. Then there is this thread which is 3-4 pages long with maybe 2-3 posts answering the original questions. Why is that? Just maybe it is the style of posting, so just maybe the feedback helps the OP get better results next time.

Here we go again!!!! Keep bringing back the negativity..........

Thank You for your lecture....

I appreciate you taking your time to give me a run down....

Lesson learned, I will not post in CAPS in any forum at all.

Thanks all for the help, I think ignorance has taken over this thread.

As you can see I am not ignorant at all.....

I corrected the CAPS, Broke down the Block Paragraph and apologized for it.

Agreed on all said, just tried to tell people that in life don't only focus on the negativity, like seriously wasting time writing a whole paragraph or more just to point out the negativity. Don't waste you time. I do not know about yours but my time is valuable. Keep on posting, I wont keep paying attention to these nonsense baby comments.

Bye

Old 03-08-2012, 01:43 PM

You obviously did not read the post well. It wasn't aimed at you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston