Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2012, 10:49 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,228,136 times

Advertisements

I've always wondered how the blinking school zone lights are controlled? Is there something in a control box, and if the start/stop times need to be changed, someone manually does it? Does it get a radio signal so it can be controlled remotely? Do they program in breaks (summer, spring, etc)?

I ask because (1) the school zone I drive thru daily did not adjust for DST, and now blinks an hour later than it should, and (2) it is blinking this week, and the school is closed for break. And I checked, there is no activity there, it is closed up tight other than a couple of cars (maint?).

I believe if the lights are set wrong, this leads to people not obeying them. They know the school zone times are over, so they drive 40 instead of 20. Or they aren't blinking when they should be, even more dangerous. It has to be hard to enforce when they aren't correct.

I post this as an ardent believer in school zone speed limits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2012, 11:17 AM
fnh

2,888 posts, read 3,910,334 times
I'm curious too. I drive past The Regis School on the way home from picking up my kids and have noticed that the school zone light on Antoine which always used to blink at that time no longer does. It freaks me out, because I can see the Regis parents lined up in their cars and it's definitely a school zone so... I wonder why it's not blinking and whether I should be going 20 mph anyway (and get rear-ended!) I can't blame it on the time change, it stopped blinking in the fall.

Old 03-14-2012, 11:25 AM

18,123 posts, read 25,266,042 times
I'll take advantage of this and add to the question,
is there a way to complain about traffic lights creating traffic jams?

I have to drive on 2920 in Spring and the lights at Falvel and Meadow Hill Dr. are the most ridiculous crap I've ever seen.
No matter what, they only give about 30-45 seconds for people to go through them in all directions.
During rush hour the traffic is insane because of those two lights.
It's almost as bad as just having a 4-way stop.

Old 03-14-2012, 01:59 PM
cla

898 posts, read 3,307,151 times
I have seen the same in KISD since I have lived here. Maybe they feel it isn't worth the effort to change it for DST since there is only a couple of months left in the school year.

Old 03-14-2012, 02:35 PM

538 posts, read 1,361,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post

I have to drive on 2920 in Spring and the lights at Falvel and Meadow Hill Dr. are the most ridiculous crap I've ever seen.
No matter what, they only give about 30-45 seconds for people to go through them in all directions.
You can complain here:

Harris County Precinct 4

They're actually pretty good about setting up studies to see if lights are warranted. They're also really good about turning down your request.

I used to live in Cypresswood Glen, and turning left onto Louetta was quite a challenge during rush hour, what with people going 60mph and the two curves.

There have been several major accidents there. Apparently someone has to die. We were turned down numerous times while I was living there.

Old 03-14-2012, 03:43 PM

61,647 posts, read 87,001,838 times
The flashing lights are solar/battery powered and controlled/turned on by the school district. They are equipped with programmable time-based control units.
You can read more here:
Spot Devices - School Zone Flashing Beacon System

Old 03-14-2012, 04:07 PM

18,123 posts, read 25,266,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonBornNRaised View Post
You can complain here:

Harris County Precinct 4

They're actually pretty good about setting up studies to see if lights are warranted. They're also really good about turning down your request.

I used to live in Cypresswood Glen, and turning left onto Louetta was quite a challenge during rush hour, what with people going 60mph and the two curves.

There have been several major accidents there. Apparently someone has to die. We were turned down numerous times while I was living there.
Thanks, I'm going to give it a try.

Old 03-15-2012, 07:36 AM

2,014 posts, read 3,519,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post

This is one of the first things I noticed when I moved here. Houston does not know how to synchronize and time traffic signals. Traffic flow would be way better all around town if they did. FM-1960 is a perfect example. It's a 6-lane road between 290 and 45, and would be like a freeway at rush hour if they would synchronize all the lights and lengthen the cycles. Instead it's just stop and go from one light to the next.

Old 03-15-2012, 08:43 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,228,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
The flashing lights are solar/battery powered and controlled/turned on by the school district. They are equipped with programmable time-based control units.
You can read more here:
Spot Devices - School Zone Flashing Beacon System
Thanks, interesting info.

So HISD is responsible for the non-management of these lights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston