Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2012, 10:12 AM

13 posts, read 36,651 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are trying to decide if we should move to The Woodlands with our 4 young boys. We are currently living in Arlington,TX and have lots of family here, but just don't like the scenery, the school district's poor ratings, and we aren't seeing young professional families choosing to move here. My husband works from home so we can move anywhere as long as it's near an airport.
We are currently considering the Colleyville/Keller area and also The Woodlands. We have visited The Woodlands twice and just love what the community appears to offer for families with all the amenities, beautiful trees, trails, and good schools. The only drawback seems to be the 3 1/2 drive from home. Colleyville has great schools and is a nice area, although not as pretty in my opinion, but just feels like a bunch of individual neighborhoods and not the master planned feel.
Our families are desperately trying to sway us to stay close. They say the humidity, bugs, and congestion are awful there and they really want us to consider that our family is here in DFW. My mom will be so sad if we move and I feel such guilt, but we're just not happy here. Is it really that nice, or is it the whole "grass in greener on the other side" syndrome?" Do people really use all the trails systems there or does it get old after a while? I would truly miss seeing my family every week, but just hate the idea of staying in a place we don't like that much. I'm really needing unbiased advice right now. Thanks ahead for any input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2012, 10:14 AM

9,189 posts, read 7,601,522 times
After reading your post, I think thats a personal decision that should be up to you and your husband.

Good luck!

Old 03-22-2012, 02:22 PM

14 posts, read 17,914 times
Do whats best for your family. Your mother has lived her life, you can live yours. If you really want to move to the Woodlands then do it.

Old 03-22-2012, 03:12 PM

2,480 posts, read 7,140,569 times
That's a personal decision only your family can make.

Both my husband's family and my family live in the DFW area. We have no family here and we've been here since 2001 for my husband's job. Due to work schedules (theirs and ours), school schedules, etc we are only able to see them pretty much on the holidays. Occasionally he will take a friday off and we will make a long weekend of it, but that's only a few times a year. His parents come down to visit us a few times a year.

My best friend is also from the Dallas area, all of her family is there, and she has no family here. They make the treck more often than we do, and her mom comes to visit often, but her mom's not working, and my friend's son isn't in grade school yet, just pre-K. That said, they still only see them every other month or so and sometimes longer gaps in between.

Personally, I would look more around the DFW area. Arlington is not the best IMO, but there are some great areas up there that would put you a lot closer to your family. What about the Grapevine/Southlake area? It's supposed to have awesome school systems. That's where my sister lives, and if we ever moved back up that way, that's the area I would look in first.

Old 03-23-2012, 07:09 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,454,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaRaS View Post
My mom will be so sad if we move and I feel such guilt, but we're just not happy here.
Another way to think about it is that they will have a place to stay if they wanted to go to the beach in Galveston.

Old 03-28-2012, 07:11 AM

229 posts, read 305,096 times
Except to get to Galveston from the Woodlands takes about an hour and a half.

Old 03-28-2012, 07:44 AM

342 posts, read 803,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaRaS View Post
we're just not happy here.
Happiness goes a long way, either discuss it with your family including your kids who may want to stay with school friends and your parents. As for The Woodlands, it is great for your family with kids. They have good academic schools in public to private, as well as schools with well-rounded athletic success from football, baseball, basketball, hockey, cross-country, golf, soccer, etc.. at Woodlands High School and College Park High Schools. It has a lot of parks and wide streets, as well as hike/bike trails. A lot of things to do from movie to eating, to concerts (Woodlands Pavilion) as well as small concerts (Dosey Doe) and it is going to get bigger because Exxon is moving in with 9,000 employees. So, I expect house value to hold up, or rise. For families with kids, I highly recommend it here, or Magnolia, TX around FM1488/FM2978 area for more acreage and good schools. The drawbacks is keeping up with the Jones, high property/school tax, traffic problems during rush hour, confusing streets and a long drive (longer if there are traffic) to Houston. For your kids, I recommend it if price isn't a detriment. Good Luck!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston