Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 03:19 AM

27 posts, read 38,716 times

Advertisements

specifically from the point of view of a stay at home mom with a toddler (not school age). from what i read in the threads about choosing between sugarland and pearland it seems people favor sugarland for raising kids/lower crime/better traffic on weekends despite the longer commute to the med center. most of these posts seem to be from homeowners.

looking for some input from anyone really, but especially those that are currently renting or rented in pearland in the recent past....

also would like to hear from other stay at home moms (homeowners too!) about thoughts on day to day safety (grocery shopping, bank errands, parks/playgrounds/other toddler activities, burglaries at home during work hours/thefts from vehicles), especially in west and central parts of pearland.

there is so much good information on this forum, i have found it very helpful. thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2012, 11:32 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,929,208 times
Despite the higher crime in Pearland, it's really not very much higher. If you are working in the med center, I really think west Pearland is a good choice for you.

I live in the Southwyck/Silverlake area of Pearland and seriously, there have been no burglaries in my subdivision in the 7 years we've been here. There have been burglaries in some of the other areas, but not close to me.

While there is certainly crime, I doubt that it is higher in Pearland than in Sugarland. I would, however, look for a house to rent rather than an apartment. There seem to be plenty of houses that are rented in our area.

There are many, many stay at home moms in our area as well as homeschooling parents. Our particular subdivision has a wonderful park that we can walk to. There are several other nice parks in the area and we see plenty of kids out with moms. I feel perfectly safe walking around during the day. We also have a nice pool for the summer within walking distance (you could do it with a stroller if you have little ones or you could drive depending). There are two or three splashpads for summer fun as well.
There are mommy and me groups and you might be able to find a playgroup near by as well.

There is a large police presence on certain roads mainly catching speeders (and when they do traffic stops they often catch criminals through that).

I would stay away from apartments with easy access to 288 mainly because these can be easy targets. Thus, I would stay away from the apartments in Shadow Creek Ranch despite the fact that I like the homes there. I am not sure if there are any houses to rent in that area.

Good luck.

Old 03-27-2012, 07:46 AM

1,408 posts, read 4,055,298 times
You'll most likely be as safe in Pearland as you are in Sugarland. Don't expect to encounter many problems in either area aside from traffic. Both areas are pretty good and relatively safe.

How much are you looking to spend on rent? Anything over $1400/$1500 a month should get you a smaller house in a good neighborhood. The more, the better.

Old 03-27-2012, 11:31 AM

thanks so much nana053 and City Love. We are going to be looking for a home with a range of $1400-1800, relatively recent construction. Looking for information on good subdivisions now so that we can narrow down properties we like when we visit next month hopefully.

Your posts do make me feel better. A couple of the realtors we have contacted so far (and who seem very good) did refer us to the police website and said they would not be able to comment on crime. Why is this so?

Any other advice is welcome!

Old 03-27-2012, 12:19 PM

90 posts, read 182,741 times
we moved out of pearland as did not feel safe there.

Old 03-27-2012, 12:36 PM

7,541 posts, read 11,579,521 times
What is your budget & where will you be working??

Old 03-27-2012, 12:52 PM

1,408 posts, read 4,055,298 times
We lived in Pearland(77584) for 5 years. Not once did we have a single incident or feared for our safety. Everyone has opinions. But if you see many opinions geared the same way, then it's a sign. We have family that has lived in Pearland(Silverlake) for 12 years. Zero issues either. Very happy and wouldn't consider moving even though their house is paid for and they could purchase another home cash.

$1400-$1800 will get you a nice place in Pearland. Look into 77584 or 77581 towards the Pearland Parkway area. Nice neighborhoods in 77584 are Shadow Creek Ranch, Silver Lake, Autumn Lake, Sunrise Lake, Silver Creek, Southern Trails, and more.

Old 03-27-2012, 02:03 PM

1,461 posts, read 5,598,984 times
Try Enclave at Southern Trails, Shawdow Creek Ranch and Silver Lake, as City Love mentioned are good options. The 77584 has about 36 lease listings based on your price range.

Old 03-27-2012, 02:41 PM

3,333 posts, read 9,177,372 times
Also consider Southfield Village in Pearland. I rented there for 3 years. Never any problems, great neighbors, very diverse and everyone took care of their lawn.

Ronnie

Old 03-27-2012, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJboutit View Post
What is your budget & where will you be working??
we are looking for something between 1400-1800 a month and one of us will be working at the medical center.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston