Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Seriously, do you feel safe in Houston?
Yes 52 57.78%
No 16 17.78%
Between Yes and No 22 24.44%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 07:52 AM

3,333 posts, read 9,175,701 times

Advertisements

I grew up in Detroit, this is like Candy Land or Chutes and Ladders.

Ronnie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2012, 07:54 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,243,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DejaBlue View Post
This.

No, that's SW Houston. Though most of the new stations are down there so their camera trucks might be just a little lazy to drive around and report in areas other than right next door unless it's something like a fire. The news makes SW Houston seem really deadly
So you are saying the police reports are wrong? And you think that the TV stations just have one camera?

Old 05-03-2012, 10:24 AM

71 posts, read 143,926 times
family member drove home late one night by White Elementary School (bordered by Bellaire/Beechnut/Gessner/Corporate) and upon coming to a stop sign, a couple of teens, one walking, one on a bike were heading toward them. The one on the bike pretended to fall down. The other came over to help him up. The whole thing looked fakie as to draw driver out of car. Driver drove around them and heard a lot noise hitting the car. At home, we found a bullet hole in the car. I went back to the sceen the next day and found a bullet casing. Police report filed. I have been told later this area is run by three middle school gangs.

Be very careful in SW Houston folks

Old 05-03-2012, 11:26 AM

285 posts, read 568,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
MY Daughter was stabbed six times in the area (Memorial area) you are talking about and her boyfriend was killed at the same time! So don't tell her what a SAFE area it is!
Sorry to hear that. But one isolated incident does not make an area, or a city, "unsafe." Memorial is statistically a safe area especially for being in the middle of the 4th largest city in America.

Old 05-06-2012, 07:08 PM

103 posts, read 270,308 times
Quote:
MY Daughter was stabbed six times in the area (Memorial area) you are talking about and her boyfriend was killed at the same time! So don't tell her what a SAFE area it is!
Sorry to hear that. Did you call the police?

Old 05-07-2012, 09:16 AM

2,945 posts, read 4,992,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heightsian View Post
For the most part, yes. I honestly think the freeways are among the scariest parts of the city...
True. I can watch my back on foot but I can't account for people not signaling or tailgating in traffic please don't rear end me person in vehicle behind me because it's 5:30 and I want to go home. Get off the phone, and stay 2 feet behind me. You don't need to be literally on my tail.

Quote:
So you are saying the police reports are wrong? And you think that the TV stations just have one camera?
No, I'm saying the news people like to target one area.

It has to be a massive home invasion, chemical plant fire, or massive department store fire or something for them to venture out of SW Houston and those areas.

Crime happens everywhere but every shooting, stabbing, minor robbery gets 5 minutes in SW Houston. As IF one shooting, robbery, stabbing, etc didn't happen in Humble today. It's like they figure "eh, we have the nightly quota right here around us so the news vans don't have to waste gas going outside of the Loop."

And distance wise North Houston is the same distance as Missouri City, Sugar Land, etc numbers wise but with traffic they are closer so it really does seem like they'd rather not venture further out unless some smoke from Tomball has reached Downtown Houston.

Old 05-07-2012, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericeric View Post
Sorry to hear that. Did you call the police?
I wasn't there, Her uncle that was a police officer came to my work and told me and took me to Ben Taub where she was in the ER.. And yes the police were called and they killed the guy that did it. It happened at night and we didn't find out until the next morning..... This happened years ago...She still has the the scars from the stab wounds.

Old 05-07-2012, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DejaBlue View Post
True. I can watch my back on foot but I can't account for people not signaling or tailgating in traffic please don't rear end me person in vehicle behind me because it's 5:30 and I want to go home. Get off the phone, and stay 2 feet behind me. You don't need to be literally on my tail.

No, I'm saying the news people like to target one area.

It has to be a massive home invasion, chemical plant fire, or massive department store fire or something for them to venture out of SW Houston and those areas.

Crime happens everywhere but every shooting, stabbing, minor robbery gets 5 minutes in SW Houston. As IF one shooting, robbery, stabbing, etc didn't happen in Humble today. It's like they figure "eh, we have the nightly quota right here around us so the news vans don't have to waste gas going outside of the Loop."

And distance wise North Houston is the same distance as Missouri City, Sugar Land, etc numbers wise but with traffic they are closer so it really does seem like they'd rather not venture further out unless some smoke from Tomball has reached Downtown Houston.
The news people travel to all areas of Houston.....Just in the last couple of days, I don't remember what day it was... they had reports from SW, NW and NE Houston all in the same morning news cast....

Old 05-07-2012, 12:11 PM

"I watch the neighborhood news in Memorial like a hawk & haven't heard of a girl stabbed 6 times & boyfriend killed. Can you provide a link please?"

I don't know who left me this, there wasn't a name with it. This happened a few years ago but it was in the newspaper and on all three TV News shows.. I don't have any link and don't really care if you believe it or not..I just know that when I got to the hospital she was still covered in blood and the doctors and nurses were still working on her... And I spent 24 hours a day there for 5 days with her mother until we could take her home.

Old 05-08-2012, 02:07 AM

11 posts, read 19,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonRonnie View Post
I grew up in Detroit, this is like Candy Land or Chutes and Ladders.

Ronnie
coming from Flint, anything is better. Thanks for the reassurance Ronnie. It's important to
keep your guard up. Flint and Detroit are great training camps for that. Lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston