Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2012, 10:59 AM

5,976 posts, read 15,273,721 times

Advertisements

I've been looking at the three areas, where the 'Heights' covers many neighborhoods, and Woodland Heights being specific. Also the Montrose area between W. Gray and Westheimer east of Montrose. We have been looking for a single family home on a lot, not a condo/townhouse.

For you real estate agents, in your opinion, which area would hold value more, and appreciate better than others? My wife and I have been looking at homes in both areas and are leaning towards Montrose.

The Heights is still considered by many to be a desireable place to live, but not many speak of Montrose, what would be the reasons for that? Just preference? After doing our homework and seeing homes with an agent, my wife and I have converted... we think Montrose has more to offer than the Heights, at least for us, and we are from Katy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2012, 11:25 AM

2,277 posts, read 3,961,443 times
Not many speak of montrose? There's a persistent inner loop battle of words between them. Montrose is much more mixed than the heights in terms of income but has even more character and walkable areas. It's a little cheaper than the Heights and little messier and prone to street flooding but otherwise it's a personal decision whether to pick the heights or montrose.

Old 04-15-2012, 11:26 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Depends on what you want out of where you live.

Old 04-15-2012, 12:46 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,052,923 times
of the 3 Montrose is my favorite for living by a margin of about a million. if i didn't want to move out of a townhome for a house/yard for under 500k I'd still be living there

montrose is far more walkable, bikeable, shoppable, interesting then the majority of the Heights

Old 04-15-2012, 01:52 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,273,721 times
Default Hmmm..

Quote:
Originally Posted by testmo View Post
of the 3 Montrose is my favorite for living by a margin of about a million. if i didn't want to move out of a townhome for a house/yard for under 500k I'd still be living there

montrose is far more walkable, bikeable, shoppable, interesting then the majority of the Heights
I think you are right on. Interestingly, before last year I never would have thought that. In fact, I never much paid attention to the Montrose area in the past other than I recall crusing down Westheimer back in the 80s!

There are other reasons, one being my wife is from Barcelona, and we visit at least once a year. When we are bored in Barcelona, we grab a light jacket and wallet and just leave the flat. That's it, no plans, no urgency, you just step out of your flat into the world with many things to do. It also helps that in most cities in Spain, there is a bar on every corner, really.

Montorse living in no way compares to that of BCN, but it is the closest we have seen in Houston. There are many people out and about walking in the Heights, but it does not have all the shops, stores and restaurants like the Montrose area has.

Also, we are just really tired of the commute from where we work to Katy. On a day with no traffic it takes about 35 minutes at 70-75 MPH one way, but during the afternoons, it can take my wife one to one and a half hours to get home, with one hour being the minimum. We live just west of Katy Mills mall.

One home we've been considering is a short five minutes to the office without traffic, and just under ten minutes in the afternoon. We also spend about 400-600 dollars per month just on gasoline, we both have to drive separate, we figure we'd save about $400.00 a month just on gasoline.

The only drawback is size, we an average sized home in Katy, about 2700 sq ft.; we would have to shrink to under 1700 sq ft. I really don't mind, it would force my wife to get rid of a lot of junk we never use!

Anyway, sorry to ramble on.

Old 04-16-2012, 08:55 AM

1,408 posts, read 4,054,557 times
Montrose is great for walk-ability. It's also a great location for appreciation. I really like Woodland Heights because its in the Heights, but more specifically because of its topography. You really don't have that anywhere else in Houston. Just because of that, I think it's hard to say which will appreciate more.

West of Katy Mills! Wow, that's a long drive. You're going to make a big positive change in your life! If you each save 1.5 a day roundtrip, that's a lot of enjoyment over several weeks, months, years, etc!

Old 04-16-2012, 11:58 AM

286 posts, read 739,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Love View Post
Montrose is great for walk-ability. It's also a great location for appreciation. I really like Woodland Heights because its in the Heights, but more specifically because of its topography. You really don't have that anywhere else in Houston. Just because of that, I think it's hard to say which will appreciate more.
This

I like Montrose but it was out of our price range, but if you can get in there, I think schools are generally good (don't know whether that's a huge concern for you) and so that's another plus. Compared to the Heights though, and especially Woodland Heights, I find Montrose to be a bit congested and crowded.

Old 04-16-2012, 12:23 PM

391 posts, read 923,010 times
Wow they are all great areas, but if I had to choose one I would go with The Heights. It is more of a laid back area with great bars, great people, great food and just a really "anything goes" kind of attitude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston