Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 02:17 PM

2 posts, read 2,670 times

Advertisements

I recently got a new job north of town on the beltway and am looking to relocate from Bellaire. I like the Heights but my wife vetoed it, as she wants a bit more space and a pool. We have looked into the Woodlands and that's definitely an option, but ideally we'd like something closer to town. Budget is $550k or less.....any suggestions? I haven't been in Houston that long and don't know much about the city's various neighborhoods, so any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2012, 02:51 PM

8,227 posts, read 11,150,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GasJD View Post
I recently got a new job north of town on the beltway and am looking to relocate from Bellaire. I like the Heights but my wife vetoed it, as she wants a bit more space and a pool. We have looked into the Woodlands and that's definitely an option, but ideally we'd like something closer to town. Budget is $550k or less.....any suggestions? I haven't been in Houston that long and don't know much about the city's various neighborhoods, so any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Kingwood maybe?

Old 04-16-2012, 03:02 PM

847 posts, read 1,752,559 times
north beltway and what? beltway/45? beltway/59? beltway/290? beltway/249? your options range from cypress-tomball-spring-woodlands-kingwood/humble/atascosita.....and i wouldn't think a move from bellaire to heights isn't a far enough north move to justify the cost of moving....just my opinion.

Old 04-16-2012, 04:05 PM

18,131 posts, read 25,300,410 times
It really depends on what part of the Beltway you are going to be working on.

Old 04-16-2012, 06:51 PM

286 posts, read 739,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluelion_ms3 View Post
north beltway and what? beltway/45? beltway/59? beltway/290? beltway/249? your options range from cypress-tomball-spring-woodlands-kingwood/humble/atascosita.....and i wouldn't think a move from bellaire to heights isn't a far enough north move to justify the cost of moving....just my opinion.
Yeah, the difference isn't much between Bellaire and the Heights. And if you move closer to your area, you might end up having a longer commute even if the distance is shorter as you will go with traffic. With Bellaire, you can go against traffic (depending on where you are) for the most part, with the exception of maybe the west Loop through Galleria.

Old 04-17-2012, 08:15 AM

391 posts, read 923,161 times
Depending on what area of north Houston you are going to work in may depend on where you want to buy. If you are close to IAH you have several options.

My first would be Kingwood. It's an older and very established neighborhood, very safe, close to the lake and lots of fun things to do there. The commute into town on 59 is a walk in the park!

Next choice would be The Woodlands. The only bad thing about The Woodlands is that it is far from the city and the drive in on 45 is no picnic! Suggest becoming very familiar with the Hardy Tollroad!

Next would be the Champions area. It is still close to the city, tons of things to do nearby, pretty hidden away and very well established and safe. The only drawback is there is not a direct route to the city. You have to take 249 to the beltway and either go towards 45 to get into the city (a horrible idea) or 290 into the city (an equally if not more horrible idea).

FYI... I am not a fan of 45 and 290 =)

Old 04-17-2012, 08:27 AM

2 posts, read 2,670 times
Sorry, should have been more specific:

-My new building is east of 45, just southwest of IAH
-As to whether a move to somewhere relatively nearby would be justified: regardless of my job change, our current place is getting tight so we'd likely be considering a move anyway

Thanks!

Old 04-17-2012, 09:56 AM

23,995 posts, read 15,096,054 times
We live north of 1960 @ Champions Forest. DH worked around Bellaire @ 610. That drive finally got to him. If the Saudi's keep the price of petroleum up so as to support the Kingdom, what you spend on moving will be saved on transportation.

Lots of my neighbors work around Greenspoint @ Exxon. They say it is 20 minutes from the Champions Area. This is a good community for families whose kids are at home or grown and gone. They are also pleased to be so close to the new office opening in a couple of years.

Old 04-17-2012, 11:31 AM

18,131 posts, read 25,300,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GasJD View Post
Sorry, should have been more specific:

-My new building is east of 45, just southwest of IAH
-As to whether a move to somewhere relatively nearby would be justified: regardless of my job change, our current place is getting tight so we'd likely be considering a move anyway

Thanks!
From what I understand, your worse choice is on 249 North.
Unless you live close enough to the Beltway.

Old 04-17-2012, 12:05 PM

1,110 posts, read 2,587,042 times
Spring, FM2920
Woodlands, ehhhhh, depends how far in you go.
249, traffic might be a minor issue
Humble, Summerwood area, hop on the beltway and back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston