Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 09:20 AM

37 posts, read 83,548 times

Advertisements

There is a house down the street that has been vacant for quite some time now (6 mths +). How do I find out whether its forclosed or what is going on with the property. It has not been kept up and really making the street look bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2012, 09:23 AM

102 posts, read 237,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tn2010 View Post
There is a house down the street that has been vacant for quite some time now (6 mths +). How do I find out whether its forclosed or what is going on with the property. It has not been kept up and really making the street look bad.
Try putting the street address in on the search part of har.com . If it is foreclosed and for sale, it will most likely been on har and will say "foreclosure: yes" in the details.

Old 05-01-2012, 09:45 AM

9,053 posts, read 17,203,029 times
Even if the house is a foreclosure, it will be several months before they list it. It could be at that stage.

Old 05-01-2012, 11:38 AM

37 posts, read 83,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaymurr View Post
Try putting the street address in on the search part of har.com . If it is foreclosed and for sale, it will most likely been on har and will say "foreclosure: yes" in the details.
I've been doing that periodically but it comes back with "No Results".

I wish they would do something with it. As it sits, no one takes care of it, grass died off last year in the drought but the weeds seem to get bigger and bigger.

Its a real sight for sore eyes down our street.

Old 05-01-2012, 12:37 PM

430 posts, read 1,257,186 times
Are you in a community with an HOA? If so, I'd ask them if it's a foreclosure; ours is pretty forthcoming when we ask them.

Old 05-01-2012, 12:43 PM

833 posts, read 1,887,307 times
Also if you do have an HOA they can send a notice to clean up the yard if it is in your HOA bylaws which most have. If they do not comply the HOA can mow it and send the bank a bill and ultimately a lien. Some get pretty picky, mine I have to have 9 different type of plants in my front yard and the of course the yard kept up.

Old 05-01-2012, 05:05 PM

5 posts, read 21,438 times
You could do a search on the address on HCAD (or the AD for your county). It may come up with a bank as the owner.

Old 05-01-2012, 05:28 PM

1,408 posts, read 4,054,990 times
1st sign is the lack of yard maintenance
2nd sign will be postings on the door for the foreclosure posting or notice to vacant.
3rd sign will be an actual lockbox on the door.

Keep and eye for the postings on the door or windows.

If you are worried about the yard. Try contacting the HOA and letting them know about the problem. Sometimes they send their own crews to maintain the yard and then bill the owner. The HOA can file a lien for the unpaid HOA fees and any other fees. They'll get paid sooner or later. An active HOA won't worry about not getting paid, and will worry more about the neighborhood appearance. Besides, they'll get paid regardless. ha

Old 05-01-2012, 10:38 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,275,674 times
Default Self help

How about taking care of the yard yourselves? I once had neighbors who were foreclosed on, and my neighbors and myself took it upon ourselves to mow the lawn, trim the hedges. Except for the stickers on the garage door, you could not tell the house was vacant. We even parked our cars in the driveway. Don't wait for someone else to do it if you are concerned about the values of your homes. I also doubt anyone is going to complain that you are maintaining the home for the benefit of everyone; just ask your neighbors to share, take turns.

Old 05-02-2012, 04:49 AM

4,246 posts, read 12,028,581 times
^If it was next to me I'd do this. Now if it was a street over not so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston