Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2012, 11:24 AM

3 posts, read 5,396 times

Advertisements

Hello Houstonians. I am from Nashville, Tn. I have visited Houston a few times and really love the city and surrounding areas and want to move there within the next 8 months. Here is my question. I work for Electrolux as an assembly line worker 40 miles north of Nashville, TN in Springfield, TN. Can anybody familiar with the Houston and surronding areas list for me some major factories please. Here is an example of nashville's major factories... DELL, Whirlpool, Electrolux, Nissan, Bridgestone etc. I tried talking to some of the temporary services but they won't tell me the names of the companies. Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2012, 11:43 AM

8,895 posts, read 20,002,567 times
hmm - now that you ask, I can't think of any but surely there are some in the area. When I think Houston I think refineries and chemical plants. Any of the computer companies manufacture here?

Old 05-05-2012, 12:47 PM

196 posts, read 419,859 times
There are quite a few large mfg plants, and many small business mfg's in Houston surrounding area.

A few in the Oil/Gas market but that's more for code welders, Exterran, Camron, etc. HVAC market, Goodman. I'm sure if you google search you should find plenty, just pick up the phone and ask if they mfg in Houston.

Old 05-06-2012, 06:17 AM

1,164 posts, read 2,059,342 times
There are a lot of structural metal fab shops in Houston, a good number of food processing plants, dozens of chemical plants/oil refineries, and a few places that use the plastic manufactured at the chemical plants for finished goods. Most of the work force in these places - other than the chemical plants & refineries - is non-English speaking. Finished consumer goods like you're talking about just aren't manufactured here.

Old 05-06-2012, 09:29 AM

18,130 posts, read 25,286,567 times
There's lots of manufacturing jobs in Houston.
Just get on the OTC 2012 and you'll find a lot of them
keep in mind, about 1/2 of the companies in OTC are actually not located in Houston.
OTC 2012 - Search by "Category"

I would tell you some, but then I'd pretty much would be telling you my company and the competitors (I'd rather not say where I work)

Old 05-06-2012, 02:59 PM

312 posts, read 797,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tekkie2008a View Post
Hello Houstonians. I am from Nashville, Tn. I have visited Houston a few times and really love the city and surrounding areas and want to move there within the next 8 months. Here is my question. I work for Electrolux as an assembly line worker 40 miles north of Nashville, TN in Springfield, TN. Can anybody familiar with the Houston and surronding areas list for me some major factories please. Here is an example of nashville's major factories... DELL, Whirlpool, Electrolux, Nissan, Bridgestone etc. I tried talking to some of the temporary services but they won't tell me the names of the companies. Thanks!!!
Houston is the global center of the oil and gas industry. Many manufacturing jobs (or jobs that use similar kinds of skills) will center on that (oil rig platform stuff, etc.,)...There is a website called Rigzone that seems to have many openings.

- Halliburton, that infamous company, is based here and seems to have a facility on every street corner.

- Toshiba has a big facility here.
Toshiba to expand plant to build hybrid engines - Houston Chronicle

- Dresser-Rand makes control systems for turbines here.
Dresser-Rand Control Systems

- There's a company called Cameron that makes oil and gas related stuff.

- Check out Schlumberger and learn how to pronounce it.

As one of the comments above mentioned, there seem to also be a lot of little mom-and-pop firms. Drive around some of the "industrial" areas of the city (which is a fair chunk of the north side of town, and the east side as well) and you will see them. Do a Google search under "independently owned machine shop houston".

Also, from meeting people with manufacturing and/or construction backgrounds since I moved here a couple of years ago, the temp agencies such as Manpower might be the best way to break into one of these companies fast.

Last edited by micmac99; 05-06-2012 at 03:10 PM..

Old 05-06-2012, 03:03 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,051,955 times
shlum-ber-zhay. doesn't really work phonetically. long j. shlum-ber-jjjjjjjjjay

Old 05-06-2012, 04:05 PM

41 posts, read 126,616 times
Job Search | one search. all jobs. Indeed.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: